RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
weasel57

Maiden Trivia

Flicking through the fields for Wingatui Tuesday (today!) and I see the former Northerner Al Be Civics is still trying to break miaens at start 37...got me thinking...who is the most-tried maiden in the land

(no smart comments, please, be nice to the lady Cafers!)...  inote that the Andertons have Markwood racing too..start No 30 for him.

I recall Affogato won a maiden at Ruakaka a year or two back at start 38 or 39 from memory.... anyone care to comment on this?

Would definanetly need patience to race one for that long without a win. Most I assume would be owner/trainers.  Only recent one I can think of is Kittykittybangbang I think won in its 32 start.

12 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

No doubt your hard earned is on # 14 in Race 8 Col.......;)

I will confess I backed it first start on Melbourne Cup Day Ohoka - seeing we are celebrating an FA Cup Final appearance after the semi final win I may have a dollar B)

You want the odds based on first few I would say !

I have a small share in Jackfrost who runs today  so maybe go the dream all up !

6 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I will confess I backed it first start on Melbourne Cup Day Ohoka - seeing we are celebrating an FA Cup Final appearance after the semi final win I may have a dollar B)

I have a small share in Jackfrost who runs today  so maybe go the dream all up !

Col, Is Jackfrost the horse bought by a Coaster for a song from a Disney character and subsequently syndicated. If its the same horse its a great story with some great results already for a horse with Jumping aspirations

5 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Best of luck mate....;)    

Better make the most of it, you won't beat United......just wait till our Wolves boys get amongst them next season......;)

4 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

Col, Is Jackfrost the horse bought by a Coaster for a song from a Disney character and subsequently syndicated. If its the same horse its a great story with some great results already for a horse with Jumping aspirations

Yep that's the one. We had a huge thrill last Grand National meeting with two hurdle wins in the week. I have never seen so many people in the presidents  room after the race so a few characters involved in it.

Nice fresh up run over Easter weekend so fingers crossed when jumps races arrive

4 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Yep that's the one. We had a huge thrill last Grand National meeting with two hurdle wins in the week. I have never seen so many people in the presidents  room after the race so a few characters involved in it.

Nice fresh up run over Easter weekend so fingers crossed when jumps races arrive

The trotting boys will be loving this with the exception perhaps of MH. You should tell the whole story to Cafers one day.

9 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Best of luck mate....;)    

Better make the most of it, you won't beat United......just wait till our Wolves boys get amongst them next season......;)

Cheers Ohoka - stable just won the first so hopefully they are in form all day !

Well done on your season - great old club so nice to have them back up. A few of my mates in England who are even more obsessive about football than me reckon they have every chance of staying up next year too. Certainly splashed some cash so they might be right.

We will agree to differ on the FA Cup Final - plenty of spice in this one. I will confess I have vaguely checked out airfares......:ph34r:

11 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Cheers Ohoka - stable just won the first so hopefully they are in form all day !

Well done on your season - great old club so nice to have them back up. A few of my mates in England who are even more obsessive about football than me reckon they have every chance of staying up next year too. Certainly splashed some cash so they might be right.

We will agree to differ on the FA Cup Final - plenty of spice in this one. I will confess I have vaguely checked out airfares......:ph34r:

Staying up....?? What are they on....??! We will end up with 100+ points this season and walked it. Already have Champions League quality in the side...how Ruben Neves was not Player of the Year is beyond me. Different class to Sessegnon. Fosun are worth £56B and made a £1.2B profit last year. Have interests all over the place and own Thomas Cook, Club Med and Cirque du Soleil amongst others. 

George Mendes is sorting targets for us, you might be surprised at who we bring in. Man City couldn't score against a second string side in the Cup, beat us on penalties. Anything less than top half will be a disappointment.....;)

2 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Ah it's great to be full of beans before things start  Be great if you can win the PL and CL by the sounds of it:D

Exciting times though and good luck to ya !

PS - Andertons are on form but with wrong horse in the second ! Haha all good - happy with our run

Hi  Col,

The very first thoroughbred I had a share in, was bought for a jumper, and had a few races on the flat first. and then went jumping, with only a few placings. At the end of one campaign, there was a 2000 metre flat maiden race at Timaru, which he managed to win. The write up from Tim Barton the next day in the Timaru Herald, was something like, all the horses that finished behind him might as well flag it away now. With my sense of humour, I agreed with him.

Are you coming to see your horse run on Friday night at Alexandra Park?

Cheers.

Robert.

Calling Grubes................back in 'God knows when' didn't Allan Jones have an Azeman horse who took maybe 40 starts to win a maiden but ended up winning a Wellington Cup, or at least one big two-miler?

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Calling Grubes................back in 'God knows when' didn't Allan Jones have an Azeman horse who took maybe 40 starts to win a maiden but ended up winning a Wellington Cup, or at least one big two-miler?

Azawary?

58 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi  Col,

The very first thoroughbred I had a share in, was bought for a jumper, and had a few races on the flat first. and then went jumping, with only a few placings. At the end of one campaign, there was a 2000 metre flat maiden race at Timaru, which he managed to win. The write up from Tim Barton the next day in the Timaru Herald, was something like, all the horses that finished behind him might as well flag it away now. With my sense of humour, I agreed with him.

Are you coming to see your horse run on Friday night at Alexandra Park?

Cheers.

Robert.

Haha I like that story Robert. Did it go on and win again ?

Unfortunately not on Friday. Hoping she can return to her early 2yo form which would make her competitive in this. Couple of workout wins after her break, but didn't beat much. Fingers crossed

Best regards

Col

23 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

Azawary?

That's the feller. On searching the grey matter I think he ran second to Ruanuku in a Wellington Cup but won a Sydney Cup. Amazing tenacity shown by some owners who just never give up.

4 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Haha I like that story Robert. Did it go on and win again ?

Unfortunately not on Friday. Hoping she can return to her early 2yo form which would make her competitive in this. Couple of workout wins after her break, but didn't beat much. Fingers crossed

Best regards

Col

No Col. That was it. One win. I am not sure if anyone remembers, Waimate had a huge stepplechase fence in the straight, It was so thick that our horse landed on top of it and got cast.  The horse had a few scratched on his belly. This great sport has plenty of ups and downs, and in this case ," I suppose you could say, up and stayed up"

Cheers.

Robert.

2 minutes ago, Catalano said:

As a kid I used to back all the Azemann progeny. I had a look at his record, he took 24 starts to win his first one, then went 1311511731212 and went on to win a Sydney Cup!

Was he always trained by Allan Jones? I could maybe understand a change of form with a new trainer though time was usually the best friend of Azemann horses.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Was he always trained by Allan Jones? I could maybe understand a change of form with a new trainer though time was usually the best friend of Azemann horses.

Just on that alan Jones some years later had a horse also won the Auck Cup called Our Unicorn, that had been trained by Aldersons and ran in Melbourne Cup early 2000's from memory. There was a rumour that on the Sat before the M Cup that a substantial offer was made for OU not to have him run in the cup but by an owner who had the next horse in order of entry.....he was going to scratch OU to give his horse a start!!!. I think at that stage they did have 2 emergencies , but on the sat during the day offer was made before the final layup at 5pm. Anyway that is the story that went around.

The Toothfairy had her 63rd start on 30th January 2013.  She was not considered suitable to breed from.  She was still eligible for maiden races.  Her name is interesting as the bloke who named her bought her from a dentist prominent in the LGBT community.

Reckless couldn’t win until he was five  (at his 15th start) and he went on to win a Sydney Cup, Adelaide Cup, Brisbane Cup and run second in a Melbourne Cup - so that's not bad :)

I (reluctantly) managed a syndicate that bought a horse at the RTR sales, he won at his 28th start, and I kept the troops going with stories like that of Reckless - unfortunately, he was no Reckless.

Personally, I wish I had enough cash to not worry about them not winning - I'd keep going as long as the horse was happy and the trainer's being paid.