RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Paddymc

Showcasing no longer shuttling

I suppose the stock standard answer will be "too good an offer to refuse".....what hope is there for NZ racing when the leading stud can give up their share of a world class stallion...if they don't have faith, well why should we....great vote of confidence....try and spin that one...

His record so much better in the Uk, and you just cant compare the market when he is  NZ $12,000 TO 35,000 GBP.

A loss to NZ and it’s proven stallion roster but makes sense for everyone involved, would have been a substantial sale of the 50% Haunui owned.

Seems a shame he's not shuttling.Similar thing happened with other Green Desert line stallions such as Cape Cross and Invincible Spirit in Aust and now look at I'm Invincible who's now setting Aust on fire. Power may do well in Qld and Charm Spirit in NZ.as this Green Desert sire line is fairly handy. Breeding fashions down under are fickle.

11 SW’s from 256 foals bred in NZ so far (this years 2YO’s excluded), best are 2 G2 winners of a fairly ave 2YO race. Only 1 G1 performer in NZ / Aus.

Is he really much of a loss on that basis. Yearlings I have looked at have been ave at best. 

Just had quick look at the Craven Breeze Up sales results ( Tattersals) held in the UK in the last couple of days. While one sale does not mean much but Showcasing lots did not do exceptionally well. Scat Daddy seems to be the flavour of the month.

An out of left field idea for Haunui might be to talk to Kevin Hickman at Valachi Downs and ask how his Kingman yearling ( passed in at Karaka) is doing and if OK try to buy into him now. He has similar bloodlines and Kingman was an unbelievable race horse.

6 hours ago, ngatimaru said:

Just wondering.

If you had booked into him for this season ,that isn't longer an option?

I didn't know he was shuttle?

I thought Haunui owned him.

Not unless you are shuttling your mare to the UK 

13 hours ago, fitzy said:

11 SW’s from 256 foals bred in NZ so far (this years 2YO’s excluded), best are 2 G2 winners of a fairly ave 2YO race. Only 1 G1 performer in NZ / Aus.

Is he really much of a loss on that basis. Yearlings I have looked at have been ave at best. 

I think he was at a crunch time. Yearlings sold well, however hasn't really come up with a good horse down here. An offer for him to stay up there where he is doing considerably well makes quite a lot of sense. Might of struggled for numbers this year? 

6 hours ago, ngatimaru said:

Just wondering.

If you had booked into him for this season ,that isn't longer an option?

I didn't know he was shuttle?

I thought Haunui owned him.

He was owned 50/50, NH/SH. 

This is basically how it works/worked  

As I understand it each group of owners had the right to use him in their respective hemispheres and any profit derived from the sale of extra nominations sold in either hemisphere was divided between the whole group. 

That’s different to Reliable Man who again is owned 50/50 by shareholders based in the NH and SH. However the difference with him is that any profit derived in the NH stays with the NH shareholders and of course the SH profit stays south. 

Also when RM finishes serving in the NH, the SH shareholders pay to fly him back to here for their year. Then when he finishes the Southern season the NH people pay to fly him back there. 

I am not sure what the arrangement was for Showcasing in that regard.

The only problem that I see long term with horses owner 50/50 is that horses can’t continue to serve the big books that they are expected to do year after year in each hemisphere or something has to give.

Obviously though Iffrajj has managed to do it, but his numbers are capped somewhat compared to others. He though is owned in the north and the terms and conditions set by them.

I wonder if Iffrajj’s success of, “a high percentage of good horses to foals” has anything to do with serving smaller books north and south? 

Gee whiz, now I have opened up a can of worms!

When you see stallions serving 200+ mares, you have to wonder where you will end up in the sales if most are bred for that purpose. If you are breeding to race, it's not so much of a concern.

What is a good size book for a stallion (shuttling or not)? Going back a few years, some were capped by the stud or owners to 120

I still think if one breeds to race he is a good bet and as they seem natural runners one only needs to alter their training regime to get the best from them. This of course seems typical of this overall sire line.Perhaps that is why they are better in the Northern Hemisphere as generally horses are trained in a more relaxed manner and not run around in circles and galloped frequently.