RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Agent 86

First 4 players?!

I have heard this phrase 1000 times over the past few weeks and heard it again 25 times today. All the commentators and presenters seem to use it, it must be catchy or something. Just an observation but can they say something else?

First 4?

Is that the bet where the takeout is 25%, there is bugger all turnover in the pools and so quite often they are not struck.

This means they jackpot and someone else can have a go at your money that is carried over.

Then if you are really lucky and strike one, they can pay less than the trifecta.

Yep, its a doozer of a bet.

Whereas we used to have a bet or a punt, with decent turnover, we now supposedly spec something or play something, with reduced throughput.

And we have blather merchants, like Brendan Prattlewell, full of marketing jargon and vacuous piffle, driving us to other pursuits.

I've always liked to have a "bet", usually on the weekend, as part of my interest of listening to the race commentaries on radio or watching Trackside.

Other people like to have a "punt", which in my dictionary means a larger bet.

I never consider these to be "playing", or worse still "investing". I play cards, but not with betting, and I invest in something I can influence the result of, not something for which the result is primarily detemined by luck.

But I suppose the marketing gurus think that these terms can appeal to the younger more impressionable types, and they talk like the audience are using monopoly money and have no limits to what they can spend. It smacks of the way many of the younger generation behave; don't let being unable to afford something get in the way, just borrow/bet/play/invest some more.

Heres how I see those terms, from a younger perspective.

Bet: A wager placed.

Punt: Someone placing a bet without much knowledge or research.

Investment: A bet placed with sufficent knowledge and research.

All the big handicapping companies are using the word 'investment' because clients are giving them money to bet on sport/racing, in hope of a % increase.

We all know 'gambling' is a quicker way to get rich, or go broke, as the expected returns are higher than your average stock market.

For example..

Any bet placed on Black Cavier would have seen around a 50-70% return for your dollar. You cant get that in a long period of time in stocks, let alone 1:08.

While Im here.

Are there any Jason Tan dolls left?

I wouldnt mind getting one for the family so when they arent tuned into trackside they can still enjoy the many catch-phrases that he imposes on us.

It's like having a robot but instead of cleaning the house, he entices you to be a first 4 player!

I heard they were trialling them in Hong Kong. I wonder how that went?

I have heard this phrase 1000 times over the past few weeks and heard it again 25 times today. All the commentators and presenters seem to use it, it must be catchy or something. Just an observation but can they say something else?
Steve Davis with his usual banter.

" dont ya just love it"

" love ya work"

"feeefty cents"

"were here to make money not friends"

"Syeeeedney"

"Quuuuuaaaadie"

The list goes on.