RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

The Totalisator Agency Board

This morning's NZ Herald devoted 40 column centimetres to horse racing.  It was all about the most famous horse race in the world with an estimated audience of 600,000, as they reported.

So, think back to last Saturday when the TAB had betting on five races from Aintree.  The sixth race was the Grand National.  You got it!  They did not offer betting on the world's most famous horse race.  Somebody has to apply a blow torch to the rectal area of TAB management.  This is totally unbelievable.

Their argument, which is as weak as urine, will be that they had more than 24 starters.  For God's sake; they have spent huge sums developing a fixed odds system that can accommodate a field size of up to 200 starters, or even more.  Look at the golf betting.  Okay, they could not accommodate quinella or trifecta betting with a field in excess of 24.  Just go win and place.

Here was a great opportunity to boost the industry's income and it was let go.

10 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

This morning's NZ Herald devoted 40 column centimetres to horse racing.  It was all about the most famous horse race in the world with an estimated audience of 600,000, as they reported.

So, think back to last Saturday when the TAB had betting on five races from Aintree.  The sixth race was the Grand National.  You got it!  They did not offer betting on the world's most famous horse race.  Somebody has to apply a blow torch to the rectal area of TAB management.  This is totally unbelievable.

Their argument, which is as weak as urine, will be that they had more than 24 starters.  For God's sake; they have spent huge sums developing a fixed odds system that can accommodate a field size of up to 200 starters, or even more.  Look at the golf betting.  Okay, they could not accommodate quinella or trifecta betting with a field in excess of 24.  Just go win and place.

Here was a great opportunity to boost the industry's income and it was let go.

They did offer fixed odds though didn't they?

Last Saturday;

I went to tab.co.nz

Then I clicked on racing.

Then I clicked on today

Then I clicked on M40  Aintree

I saw no mention of fixed odds betting being available on race six.

Although I have a very good knowledge of the intricate points of the Income Tax Act 2007; things such as Fair Dividend Rate and other arcane complexities, my intellectual grunt is inadequate to comprehend the TAB's web site.  I will use a moistened flannel to wipe the remains of the omelette off my face.

The TAB cannot offer tote betting on any race involving more than 24 runners.  It's actually a classic example of bad database design that creates this limitation although in fairness when the platform was implemented, clearly no one expected to be providing better on English races.

So in that context, it makes sense why there was no tote betting but it would seem have been sensible to provide some type of placeholder for the GN for those that aren't interested in database design!

Tauhei Notts, be careful what you wish for.

The NZ TAB's current system regularly breaks down on its most important day of the year when 24 runners exactly contest the Melbourne Cup.

You and I, being rational customer-oriented souls, would be belting our computer boffins about the heads and rear ends (maybe both, ha) to come up with a system that was more reliable.

No sign of that from the NZ TAB.

The computer boffins they presently employ may well, instead, be suggesting '24 horses in a race is clearly too much. We should simply take no betting on races with fields of more than, oh, 20 horses. Who cares if that means we can't cover the Melbourne Cup. It's only a midweek two mile handicap!' 

Any breakdown of the TAB central processing unit has NOTHING to do with the size of a field.

The last stat I saw, was that it was online 98.6% of the time it was required. I would suggest it is a very robust system.

7 hours ago, Greg Lindsay said:

Any breakdown of the TAB central processing unit has NOTHING to do with the size of a field.

The last stat I saw, was that it was online 98.6% of the time it was required. I would suggest it is a very robust system.

98.6% is not very robust.  That's 122 hours a year or 5 days of down time.  The fact much of that downtime coincides with major revenue earning periods is appalling.

With the limited access of an outsider looking in there are clear pointers that infrastructurally - configuration, software and hardware wise there have been poor choices made.

4 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

98.6% is not very robust.  That's 122 hours a year or 5 days of down time.  The fact much of that downtime coincides with major revenue earning periods is appalling.

With the limited access of an outsider looking in there are clear pointers that infrastructurally - configuration, software and hardware wise there have been poor choices made.

YES 98.6% sounds an awesome stat until you break it down like you have.  when was jetbet last updated does anyone know?

8 hours ago, jasonmccook1 said:

YES 98.6% sounds an awesome stat until you break it down like you have.  when was jetbet last updated does anyone know?

It’s beyond updating as too many bits and pieces have been added on already, hence the reason it collapses each time it comes under pressure, such as Melbourne Cup Day and Wellington Cup Day. 

recall being in a TAB at least 7 years ago and the operator had to shut down and re-start. When the screen I could see said something like  "loading (version) 368.7" I realised that version 1.1 went back a year or three! 

On 4/22/2018 at 0:03 PM, Greg Lindsay said:

Robust system my ass. It's an outdated piece of shit. Which is why they bought Typhoon as a replacement in the early 2000s. They are the only firm out of the 1000s in the industry that is not online 24/7. Their system is so outdated they have to shut it down every night for two hours. 

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Robust system my ass. It's an outdated piece of shit. Which is why they bought Typhoon as a replacement in the early 2000s. They are the only firm out of the 1000s in the industry that is not online 24/7. Their system is so outdated they have to shut it down every night for two hours. 

And then only manage 98.6% of the other 22 hours of the day.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:03 AM, jasonmccook1 said:

About $8 million was spent on Jetbet about (going from memory) 2004 calling it Jetbet2. THe strange thing is when they were touting Typhoon no mention of that spend was made preferring to claim Jetbet hadn't been updated since BC.