RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dogrug

CD missing out

Em, as you say each region has it's difficulties and that would be true of any business. 

I doubt there is any region where some people haven't been frustrated getting starts. The problem may be more obvious with the large flow of young dogs to the CD.

With all the bigger operations , to have a competitive edge they have to try  a large range of pups many that are not going to be topliners. Those that don't make the grade are often moved on to smaller trainers or trainers without the ability or facility to breed their own. Sprinters are the biggest problem because trainers realise where the money is, thus the castoffs usually hang around in the c1 and c2 level for most off their lives and there are more sprinters than not. This is how the industry works aT the moment. 

The next step is what should the industry do to cope. Should they put on more and more races to allow the system to keep going ? Should they maybe double the size of the adoption process to cope in another way?  Should they limit the amount of dogs being bred (taking into account how drastically this line of thought has impacted on the Aust industry) or should we just wait in time with our 'nobodies child' dogs till we get a start.

Thank you for that reasoned response GOM. I really do appreciate a debate that looks at the issues in earnest. Our system lacks the flexibility to cope with the racing issues that arise. We are locked into a mindset that does not take into account the fluctuating nature of the time. Not so long ago the north had to beg to have smaller fields so they could card a race. I get tired of the "can't' attitude. There needs to be more "how can we make this work?" A contingency for the gluts and deficits. It's time to put their money where their mouth is. If they want to ensure great welfare outcomes then they need to look after all the people who look after the dogs.

3 minutes ago, Emotive said:

Thank you for that reasoned response GOM. I really do appreciate a debate that looks at the issues in earnest. Our system lacks the flexibility to cope with the racing issues that arise. We are locked into a mindset that does not take into account the fluctuating nature of the time. Not so long ago the north had to beg to have smaller fields so they could card a race. I get tired of the "can't' attitude. There needs to be more "how can we make this work?" A contingency for the gluts and deficits. It's time to put their money where their mouth is. If they want to ensure great welfare outcomes then they need to look after all the people who look after the dogs.

well said

3 hours ago, Emotive said:

GOM, I don't actually know what the comparative numbers are, and I don't know what percentage of trainers travel in the south. The reason I asked Jape. What I do know is that each region has their own issues. The north has had some difficulty filling fields, example Waikato carding less than 12 races, and not enough C5's to card a race. We have difficulty getting starts in several grades. This isn't about getting more than another region for me, it's about looking after the people who supply the product in those regions.  All the people, including you guys in the north. I would support any initiatives that do just that. It is due to everyone's efforts that the NZRB make a profit. Successful business models look after their employees.

Common sense is something clubs lack. 

5 hours ago, GOM said:

Em, as you say each region has it's difficulties and that would be true of any business. 

I doubt there is any region where some people haven't been frustrated getting starts. The problem may be more obvious with the large flow of young dogs to the CD.

With all the bigger operations , to have a competitive edge they have to try  a large range of pups many that are not going to be topliners. Those that don't make the grade are often moved on to smaller trainers or trainers without the ability or facility to breed their own. Sprinters are the biggest problem because trainers realise where the money is, thus the castoffs usually hang around in the c1 and c2 level for most off their lives and there are more sprinters than not. This is how the industry works aT the moment. 

The next step is what should the industry do to cope. Should they put on more and more races to allow the system to keep going ? Should they maybe double the size of the adoption process to cope in another way?  Should they limit the amount of dogs being bred (taking into account how drastically this line of thought has impacted on the Aust industry) or should we just wait in time with our 'nobodies child' dogs till we get a start.

Just an example of where it's at in the CD.
One C2 sprint next Wednesday.
No C2 sprint tomorrow night.
Form dogs miss out on Wednesday while 4 x 3 miss dogs get in. And one 3 months dog.
Now I don't begrudge the 3 miss dogs getting a start, they would have waited 4 weeks.
Even form dogs sit on the sidelines here because our licenses aren't sufficient for the numbers we have.
Not helped by Anzac day commemorations in this instance.
The clubs will do there best to card more in the following weeks, but for now many sit on the sidelines.

RACE 9

5:06: FIRST SECURITY C1

$1,685.00, C2, 305m

1 57786   Brighteye's Soul            17.79  N Udy   3 MISS

2 82114   Clover Victoria             17.71  A Turnwald

3 21116   Clover Colin                17.77  A Turnwald

4 35776   Doosh                       17.59  J T McInerney  3 MISS

5 26737   Electric Dandy              17.68  B Hunt   3 MISS

6 88888   Homebush Bailey             17.70  J T McInerney   3 MISS

7 31114   Bigtime Roll                17.68  L Cole

8 86446   Jinja Rules                 nwtd   J T McInerney

9 22412   Roketto                     17.83  D Edlin