RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jewels Day Stakes $1.2m, Where does this come from?

The Jewels Day at Cambridge this year has stakes of approx. $1.2 million!

Where does this massive stake money come from?

The day must be a heavy drain on HRNZ coffers surely as the punting wont bring that in!!!!

Would be interesting to know what it actually does cost the industry to put this feature day on?

16 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The day must be a heavy drain on HRNZ coffers surely as the punting wont bring that in!!!!

Would be interesting to know what it actually does cost the industry to put this feature day on?

Could you perhaps email HRNZ ?

Pasting all correspondence here would be of interest to some.

1 hour ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Could you perhaps email HRNZ ?

Pasting all correspondence here would be of interest to some.

Kotare, I would’ve thought there would’ve been some on here that would know the answer!

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Randwick had ONE race yesterday for $4 mill. 

Hardly think that 1.2. mill spread over 10 races is massive.

Some of the stake will be made up of turnover the rest maybe some sponsorship and then then rest out of reserves. You need premium days in all sports and you will find MOST will not make money or even break even on the day or event  eg. Olympics/Commonwealth  Games, Rugby Test matches, Cricket Tests etc. These days are needed for the average athlete/horse to have a goal to aim for. The best will get to their goal. Thats the way it is and should be. Unless you want every horse running around for the same money every time Brodie there will always be premium days that have to be subsidized.  I personally think that $1.2 mill is way too little for what is promoted as one of the elite days of the year where the best of young and rising stars are on show.

HRNZ has a special fund which takes a % from stakes total payout of 30 million so in effect the stake on ordinary races is reduced to susidise group racing.so to have 1.3million in stakes actual turnover on the day would be $450,000 sponsorship don,t know so special fund would need to be close to $800,000 or 2to 3% of total stakes for the year

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Is it not possibly a bit short sighted to think that the punting on the day should fund it all. For mine you need these premier days attract punters to the sport  it’s a long game not a short one.

2 hours ago, tonkatime said:

Is it not possibly a bit short sighted to think that the punting on the day should fund it all. For mine you need these premier days attract punters to the sport  it’s a long game not a short one.

Totally agree you need premier days even though they aren’t great punting days!

Format needs changing though !

On 4/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, Brodie said:

Totally agree you need premier days even though they aren’t great punting days!

Format needs changing though !

So says the font of all knowledge om Harness racing in NZ. Nobody really cares about your punting ideas and how your restricted which is where your threads all lead to eventually.

Come HRNZ elections where all participants can put themselves up for election you'll be nowhere to be seen Wayne.

On 15/04/2018 at 6:51 AM, Brodie said:

Mate 1.2 mill over 10 races. Not enough in my world. Elite races and days such as this deserve more. You are a dreamer  thinking that amount is massive. Get the one track mind on " punting "and kick it for touch  mate. Its starting to bore/ boor most of us.

If one of our horses wins at Cambridge I will personally buy you some football boots to practice kicking the " punting mind "into touch.

21 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the stakes (apart from one of the trots) haven't gone up at all since the first running (approx 10 years ago) - this is shocking - they should have at least doubled. 

Actually they have gone down since the first four years of the meeting

original question is pertinent. The money comes from places such as sports betting, and turnover profits combined betting on overseas races,etc. What annoys me is some dog group races where the turnover = say 25000 profit say 5000 for tab available for distribution and stakes = 20/30 or even 50000 dollars. ? It is obvious  harness and thoroughbreds are propping up the greyhound industry ... It is time they stood on their own 4 paws.