RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Scotch Thistle

New Best Bets Layout

The version of Best Bets dated Friday 13.4.18 has a new layout.

My early impression is that it is better that the old layout on the swings, and not as good on the roundabouts.

Owners who like to see their names in print, and especially et al, will spew over not being mentioned.

20 hours ago, weasel57 said:

Owners names in print is irrelevant. If BB focus on horse/jockey/trainer/form analysis all will be well.

What a crock. Owners names are essential. What hole have you crawled out of?

There are an additional 25% more pages.... how can it make the breakeven mark as was promised? I hear that weekly sales are now down between 1000-1500 copies.

Where are the owners names? A very important factor. The owners put the show on. Who the hell has made this dumb decision? Where's the consultation process? Where's the data that shows this is acceptable.

I also thought that the concept was to have a smaller pocket book type publication. I saw papers saying this was to be a key feature. This publication is wider, taller and thicker. Geez Wellington....what's the story?!?! that never seems to improve itself.

Maybe we should add this to the Messara list to review. I haven't understood why the media of our sport hasn't got its shit together but I guess it's just one of the continued dysfunctional elements of the industry

They had the publication in the right format.

Compare last weeks book alongside this weeks and this weeks book looks shocking.

What idiot thought this up. The horses' names are now tiny. It's an appalling cock up.   

Haven't seen the new format yet, but I'm not fussed about whether owners names are included.

When I buy a Best Bets, I buy it for the form - I don't care who owns a horse - if I wanted to know I'd look it up online.   I'm an owner and yes I pay to put on the show but couldn't care less if my name is in the Best Bets.  if they're constrained for space then happy for them to drop my name.

1 hour ago, Berri said:

What a crock. Owners names are essential. What hole have you crawled out of?

Essential? Why?

Trainer, barrier draw, weight, recent form, track/distance stats - they're all essential.

But owners names - really?

1 hour ago, Berri said:

There are an additional 25% more pages.... how can it make the breakeven mark as was promised? I hear that weekly sales are now down between 1000-1500 copies.

Where are the owners names? A very important factor. The owners put the show on. Who the hell has made this dumb decision? Where's the consultation process? Where's the data that shows this is acceptable.

I also thought that the concept was to have a smaller pocket book type publication. I saw papers saying this was to be a key feature. This publication is wider, taller and thicker. Geez Wellington....what's the story?!?! that never seems to improve itself.

Maybe we should add this to the Messara list to review. I haven't understood why the media of our sport hasn't got its shit together but I guess it's just one of the continued dysfunctional elements of the industry

The main reason the sales are down is it’s  sooooo Farkin hard to find one! Used to be easy every cornerstone dairy would stock them . Now I have to order mine at Paper Plus  but the problem that arises is sometimes it doesn’t arrive till Friday and doesn’t have C.D Thursday fields which is my main punting focus. Tried the informant but the small print and larger liftout doesn’t suit.

2 hours ago, rdytdy said:

They had the publication in the right format.

Compare last weeks book alongside this weeks and this weeks book looks shocking.

What idiot thought this up. The horses' names are now tiny. It's an appalling cock up.   

More like Ted, what idiots are buying it, seriously who is buying a dated publication like this now?  Someone over 75 yrs old?

No one on here should be buying it for a starter, its dated old crap that serves zero purpose.

Why the hell would a guy like you be buying it? for what purpose?

3 minutes ago, barryb said:

More like Ted, what idiots are buying it, seriously who is buying a dated publication like this now?  Someone over 75 yrs old?

No one on here should be buying it for a starter, its dated old crap that serves zero purpose.

Why the hell would a guy like you be buying it? for what purpose?

Each to there own Barry .Myself I still enjoy taking my B.B. to work and putting my own pen marks n circles here and there . Also if you shoot down your local your B.B. is perfect on the table . Online is helpful but it has no soul .

14 minutes ago, pete said:

I think you'll find it's called personal preference Barry.

It could be Pete yes, I just cannot see how circling a selection in a book is needed in todays age. & certainly not one produced so much in advance that it has almost zero value.

We do need to let go some of these nostalgia things if the industry is going to progress.

Pete, i go for a walk around the streets by me at 6.30am and look a the so few people who get newspapers delivered now and think seriously are those people even going to read them and why as they could have been laying in bed reading the very latest on an ipad for free, instead they are looking at something that was yesterdays news.

Ted does all this stuff for BGP, do they seriously know this old codger is looking at a Best Bets to mark his selections.

They are social media savy and would not understand Ted looking at a relic from the past.

1 hour ago, N1MUE said:

Haven't seen the new format yet, but I'm not fussed about whether owners names are included.

When I buy a Best Bets, I buy it for the form - I don't care who owns a horse - if I wanted to know I'd look it up online.   I'm an owner and yes I pay to put on the show but couldn't care less if my name is in the Best Bets.  if they're constrained for space then happy for them to drop my name.

N1MUE, I guess we will just have to disagree, but there again that is not unusual given your stance on most things!

Nimue was bloody good for a wee while, but not for long, not even past three years of age and even worse as a broodmare, sadly as I too thought that she was something extra special, but I was wrong!

Possibly you are too. LOL

35 minutes ago, barryb said:

Thats called Nostalgia Puha, do you still drive a Morris Minor as well?.

Not at all .A large part of the population prefer paper over online . Bit like how I’d rather pay for things with foldies than a card .Even my 11 year old daughter is getting disillusioned at school by the preference of everything being done on I pads etc instead of school books and pens . On a last note do you prefer to sit in your lounge on your I pad betting or popping into your local and sitting at the punters table sharing your Best Bets and chewing the fat ?

11 minutes ago, barryb said:

Ted does all this stuff for BGP, do they seriously know this old codger is looking at a Best Bets to mark his selections.

They are social media savy and would not understand Ted looking at a relic from the past.

Not sure why your having a go at Ted? He’s a gentleman and would out do anyone here in selecting horses . Many have met Ted and he is treated like the legend he is . Obviously he uses the computer as he’s the best I’ve met at picking horses out of the trials.

7 minutes ago, puha said:

Not at all .A large part of the population prefer paper over online . Bit like how I’d rather pay for things with foldies than a card .Even my 11 year old daughter is getting disillusioned at school by the preference of everything being done on I pads etc instead of school books and pens . On a last note do you prefer to sit in your lounge on your I pad betting or popping into your local and sitting at the punters table sharing your Best Bets and chewing the fat ?

Ipad and PC anyday mate. its called progress

3 minutes ago, puha said:

Not sure why your having a go at Ted? He’s a gentleman and would out do anyone here in selecting horses . Many have met Ted and he is treated like the legend he is . Obviously he uses the computer as he’s the best I’ve met at picking horses out of the trials.

Says who? he would out select anyone. Ted's a gentleman? A legend at what? tipping $3 shots that win a trial.

Do  your homework . Teds been sending me his selections the last few years and plenty of double figure winners out of the trials .Most of them are horses that finish just in behind the winners but are full of running.