RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

TAB yesterday offered a special bet,Opie Bosson to win the jockey challenge  $2-20 he had what looked like 6 winning chances, he gets to the track overweight can't ride 3 of them, this bet option should of been refunded,and new odds set for the 3 rides he had,but it wasn't,I have been betting for 50 years! Not any more I am closing my tab account.This was an absolute ripoff by the TAB

How is it a ripoff by the TAB?, they obviously put the odds up in good faith that the rider has accepted rides that he can make the weight at.

I don't see it as any different than backing a horse that doesn't go on wet ground , its up to the punter to do the research on these bets , Bosson has a history of weight difficulties surely that is priced into the odds on offer by the TAB yesterday.

30 minutes ago, Huey said:

How is it a ripoff by the TAB?, they obviously put the odds up in good faith that the rider has accepted rides that he can make the weight at.

I don't see it as any different than backing a horse that doesn't go on wet ground , its up to the punter to do the research on these bets , Bosson has a history of weight difficulties surely that is priced into the odds on offer by the TAB yesterday.

WTF? It's generally easy to obtain whether a horse goes in the wet or not, except for untried youngsters, but how are we supposed to know how many hot cross buns OP had for breakfast? You jest, surely?

55 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

WTF? It's generally easy to obtain whether a horse goes in the wet or not, except for untried youngsters, but how are we supposed to know how many hot cross buns OP had for breakfast? You jest, surely?

How many times has Bosson had problems with his weight recently? If you're punting something you should be aware of intricacies of that bet surely? The likelihood he won't see the day out, the likelihood he won't make the weight on certain horses and so on. 

1 hour ago, Idolmite said:

Huey's right - any punter who follows NZracing will know that Opie has struggled to make the right weights recently.  On Wednesday he couldn't ride lighter than 58kgs, and several of his rides yesterday were at 56.5kgs.  If that wasn't an alarm bell, I'm not sure what is.

Caveat emptor!

2 hours ago, tbear1 said:

TAB yesterday offered a special bet,Opie Bosson to win the jockey challenge  $2-20 he had what looked like 6 winning chances, he gets to the track overweight can't ride 3 of them, this bet option should of been refunded,and new odds set for the 3 rides he had,but it wasn't,I have been betting for 50 years! Not any more I am closing my tab account.This was an absolute ripoff by the TAB

Was this bet different to the traditional multi option Jockeys Challenge ?

35 minutes ago, N1MUE said:

Huey's right - any punter who follows NZracing will know that Opie has struggled to make the right weights recently.  On Wednesday he couldn't ride lighter than 58kgs, and several of his rides yesterday were at 56.5kgs.  If that wasn't an alarm bell, I'm not sure what is.

Caveat emptor!

But how many people would have actually known. One ride overweight and it didn't even rate a mention in the Stewards Report. 

50 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

But how many people would have actually known. One ride overweight and it didn't even rate a mention in the Stewards Report. 

Those that don't bother doing the form or accessing the correct info should stick to Easybets.

Seriously Huey.....I think it's time your cousin Donald came over and gave you a bunt. Knowing how pathetic this crew is at the TAB, the easybet computer is likely to spit out a ticket on an abandoned meeting.

Bye the way, what did the duck say to the waitress when she bought over his drink?

Put it on my bill.

13 minutes ago, The Diceman Cometh said:

Seriously Huey.....I think it's time your cousin Donald came over and gave you a bunt. Knowing how pathetic this crew is at the TAB, the easybet computer is likely to spit out a ticket on an abandoned meeting.

Bye the way, what did the duck say to the waitress when she bought over his drink?

Put it on my bill.

Seriously, next you'll be telling me they are employing Russian spies at Head Office.

3 hours ago, N1MUE said:

Caveat emptor!

there is some sick black comedy being played out here! 

"Our STAR"  NZ Jockey, a HOFer!!!  puts himself through a BRUTAL eating and exercise regime and sometimes doesn't make weight!  100% not through him putting in a Massive Effort!!!

I bet ya 100/1 on! that it can't be healthy for him!  Normal Health and Safety doesn't apply to the little people!!!

Meaning those who claim to Own Integrity then  heaverly fine and suspend him! fucking hypocrites!!! 

TAB should have refunded! its coll good will!  and you claim Caveat emptor! f.. y....

54 minutes ago, Portfolio said:

If a jockey is injured after first race, bets still stand. If horses scratched, bet stands. This is jockeys fault, so bets should stand.  Part of betting on these types of options

Not so Portfolio.

Someone was refunded $10K after Opie stood down injured after riding a winner at Ellerslie last year. Discretion and goodwill occurred was shown then so why not in this case.   

9 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Not so Portfolio.

Someone was refunded $10K after Opie stood down injured after riding a winner at Ellerslie last year. Discretion and goodwill occurred was shown then so why not in this case.   

That would be an elite punter probably, probably moaned so the tab buckled. They need those types 

Gosh seemed like last year but three years ago:

As it was a stand alone option they wouldn't have even had to rework the odds yesterday either. 

$10,000 punter saved by TAB goodwill after top jockey Opie Bosson is stood down

Opie Bosson, pictured on dual derby winner Mongolian Khan, was stood down due to injury at Ellerslie on Saturday.
GETTY IMAGES

Opie Bosson, pictured on dual derby winner Mongolian Khan, was stood down due to injury at Ellerslie on Saturday.

Punters breathed a huge sigh of relief when TAB bookies decided to refund all bets on top jockey Opie Bosson who was stood down after just one ride at Ellerslie on Saturday.

Bosson was a red hot $1.60 favourite to win the jockeys' challenge after a slew of bets on him, including one of $10,000.

But Bosson was in pain when riding the favourite Lady Kalimara in the opener and, after being examined by the course doctor, was stood down.

Bosson, who was sporting a bruise on his left side, said he suspected he might have a broken rib.

"I was leading a couple of horses at home on Thursday and got kicked when one got away. 

"I thought I'd be OK strapped up but I was in pain riding and was having trouble breathing."

Under the rules, all bets in a jockeys' challenge stand if a rider has even one mount, but TAB bookmaker Stephen Hunt said the TAB had decided, as a one-off, to refund all bets.

"We probably wouldn't have done it if he'd had two rides," Hunt said. "But he was by far the best backed jockey and there were a lot of multis going through Opie as well."

Hunt confirmed one punter had plonked $10,000 on Bosson, who had a good book of 10 rides, but he said a lot of little punters had also had $5 and $10 bets.

"People sitting on the couch having a small bet are just as important as a $10k punter. It's the number of bets that were on him that counted."

The jockeys' challenge, which sees riders accumulate points with placings, was suspended while bookies reworked the odds.  

- Stuff

9 hours ago, tbear1 said:

I totally agree with you.  try  Betfair, I have 90% of my turnover goes through this site after I worked out the integrity of the NZ TAB years ago

6 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Gosh seemed like last year but three years ago:

As it was a stand alone option they wouldn't have even had to rework the odds yesterday either. 

I note in that article Stephen Hunt said "we probably wouldn't have done it if he'd had two rides".

Yesterday he had three rides - all winning chances.

8 hours ago, oh dear me said:

there is some sick black comedy being played out here! 

"Our STAR"  NZ Jockey, a HOFer!!!  puts himself through a BRUTAL eating and exercise regime and sometimes doesn't make weight!  100% not through him putting in a Massive Effort!!!

I bet ya 100/1 on! that it can't be healthy for him!  Normal Health and Safety doesn't apply to the little people!!!

Meaning those who claim to Own Integrity then  heaverly fine and suspend him! fucking hypocrites!!! 

TAB should have refunded! its coll good will!  and you claim Caveat emptor! f.. y....

oh dear me alright - loving your command of the English language :)

You're mixing up a few issues here.  I feel for Opie and his struggle with weight, and I rate him as a top jockey.  But that's not the point of this discussion.

Those who bet on him did so with their eyes open - everyone knows about his weight issues.  The TAB has no obligation to refund those bets.  Should they refund bets where dogs turn in the boxes?  where trotters break up and take no part in the race?  where a horse loses its jockey coming out of the barriers?

and as for the fine and the suspension - as much as I like him as a jockey he shouldn't accept rides where he can't make the weight - that's not fair on punters.

No question as to the riding skills.

The Jockey bet is real dodgy in many respects.

Imagine this scenario - not saying this has happened either.

1. Aiden Rodley must know that OP has weight issue - I would say this is a given.

2. AR books rides that he knows will be touch and go in terms of making weight - I would also think AR is aware of this due to the many times OP couldn't make weight.

3. What stops AR backing other jockeys knowing full well that OP is unlikely to make weight???

Insider trading/conflict of interest???

This has been going on for years and should have been rubbed out ages ago.

The TAB's stance on this I believe was that he still had a chance of winning it, BUT and a bloody big BUT is that the odds must have changed. They are in the business of calculating odds and its obvious the odds would have been five times the $2.20 odds. 

Very poor show TAB, very poor show.

20 minutes ago, barryb said:

How is it any different to me taking a fixed odds bet and having the fav late scr in the race and near halving my odds. I dont get the chance to cancel my bet and neither should this jockey option be refunded or changed.

With the favourite being scratched your chances were probably enhanced Barry and if not your horse's chance of winning remained the same as before , they were certainly not downgraded. In the latter scenario the chances of Opie winning the jockey's challenge were seriously reduced. 

What did the bookies push his odds out to win after it was announced he only had the three rides left? I bet they blew right out.

What they should have done is refund the original bets under the stand alone option, recalculate the odds under the jockey challenge option and if punters thought that he could still win then they could back him again at the new, higher odds. I'm picking very few would have backed up.