RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Why is Easter Cup meeting now during the day?

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Overall it was lower profile, and I imagine would do less turnover on and off course, than the Riverton gallops.

Disappointingly weak fields for what used to be one of the premier days of the year. Where have all the horse gone. AUSSIE! Apart from the All Stars many of the very promising juveniles and 3 yr olds are sold over the ditch. WA in particular are prepared to pay big money 150 K for them so why wouldn't you sell. Not many make any where near that in NZ never mind the training vet etc bills. How do we keep them in NZ, change the handicapping? (look at Aus where many have won well upwards of 30 races and are still in a competitive grade), increase the stakes (that wont happen in a hurry with decreasing turnover) Any ideas.?

As I had a bit of time WD I quickly checked the turnover of Addington and Riverton You are quite correct. Just checked the win and place so roughly Addington turned over 205 K in 11 races and Riverton 335 in 9 races. The average per race was Addington  Win 18.7K  Place 12K   Riverton  Win 37K  Place 23K   Wow thats a huge discrepancy for a supposedly premier day of harness racing .Doesn't look good for future stake gains.

8 minutes ago, Portfolio said:

Was there that day, makes today’s fields look pretty average. 

So was I  A lot of very good horses in all the races.  Can still remember the Derby smash right in front of me, AND the race still carried on. Not today it wouldn't.   

37 minutes ago, harewood said:

Disappointingly weak fields for what used to be one of the premier days of the year. Where have all the horse gone. AUSSIE! Apart from the All Stars many of the very promising juveniles and 3 yr olds are sold over the ditch. WA in particular are prepared to pay big money 150 K for them so why wouldn't you sell. Not many make any where near that in NZ never mind the training vet etc bills. How do we keep them in NZ, change the handicapping? (look at Aus where many have won well upwards of 30 races and are still in a competitive grade), increase the stakes (that wont happen in a hurry with decreasing turnover) Any ideas.?

As I had a bit of time WD I quickly checked the turnover of Addington and Riverton You are quite correct. Just checked the win and place so roughly Addington turned over 205 K in 11 races and Riverton 335 in 9 races. The average per race was Addington  Win 18.7K  Place 12K   Riverton  Win 37K  Place 23K   Wow thats a huge discrepancy for a supposedly premier day of harness racing .Doesn't look good for future stake gains.

Harewood, you are dead right it is almost impossible to make money in NZ racing horses and the stakes have risen so little in comparison to 33 years ago.

The turnover is always going to not be very impressive racing during the day competing with 3 other NZ meetings, it is not rocket science!

The big thing that affected turnover today was the fact that most of the races weren’t worth betting into with the dominance of one stable, knowing that the divs were going to be small and when you are mainly running for 3rd punters with any ability, just don’t bother!

The early races probably held up due to OZ money early!

Horses are also being sold overseas due to owners getting the stitch in knowing that they are wasting their time racing in the group races as they can not win!

Brodie, you are on the money once again!

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Harewood, you are dead right it is almost impossible to make money in NZ racing horses and the stakes have risen so little in comparison to 33 years ago.

The turnover is always going to not be very impressive racing during the day competing with 3 other NZ meetings, it is rocket science!

The big thing that affected turnover today was the fact that most of the races weren’t worth betting into with the dominance of one stable, knowing that the divs were going to be small and when you are mainly running for 3rd punters with any ability, just don’t bother!

Horses are also being sold overseas due to owners getting the stitch in knowing that they are wasting their time racing in the group races as they can not win!

Some people are a bit critical of one stable having dominating favs, but my god how ugly and horrible would those fields have been without that stable.

Guest Hunterthenutter

no one was on course today I think easter bunnys have calici virus haha

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

You would know, was the easter cup a c8 front in the 80's, 90's. Or an o/c front? I remember lord Louie winning one of the weaker easter cups in the late 80s pretty sure it was a c8 + handicap

I remember Lord Louie racing in it but I am sure he didn't feature. Won a New Brighton Cup over 3200m.

Easter Cup has been C7+ right thru to OC

OC toward the end of 70's and until mid 80's and C9+ prior.

Frank Murfitt had a handy 2yo called Ashley Knight that began like a rocket in stands. Won 5 here and 2 in Aust as a 2yo.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

The early races probably held up due to OZ money earl

The figures I put up were thru the tote so money from the big punters like you who you say bet fixed are not in these figures.

The early races were the weakest turnover with the first half of the card averaging  for the win 14 K while the last half averaged for the win 23K  The main trot had the biggest turnover 32 K win. Not quite on the money with this one. 

1 hour ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Frank Murfitt had a handy 2yo called Ashley Knight that began like a rocket in stands. Won 5 here and 2 in Aust as a 2yo.

Ashley Locaz one of last years Jewel winners, trained by All Stars and owned by Murfitts daughter is 4th dam related to Ashley Knight out of Ashley Star

A very good breed that keeps on producing. 

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

The turnover is always going to not be very impressive racing during the day competing with 3 other NZ meetings, it is not rocket science!

Some of what you write is quite readable, until every time you just have to end by stroking your own......ego. 

Just now, MisterEd said:

You were on the money there Kotare. He has two things in common with Donald Trump      1. He never loses      2. He is never wrong

We both wanted to be on him winning the next time he was asked.

It was the fact that I was prepared to sacrafice 10 choccy fish to win 1 that has me better off this morning.

12 hours ago, harewood said:

The figures I put up were thru the tote so money from the big punters like you who you say bet fixed are not in these figures.

The early races were the weakest turnover with the first half of the card averaging  for the win 14 K while the last half averaged for the win 23K  The main trot had the biggest turnover 32 K win. Not quite on the money with this one. 

Always on the money Harewood.

I wasn’t aware that The AllStars had a horse or two in the big trot?

Harewood, you doing the sums, how much of the money on the tote was from Oz punters?

No, you haven’t got a clue,  mostNZ punters are over betting In Races dominated by the one stable, getting such low divs.

It is costing the TAB plenty in lost revenue!

34 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

In the 1984 race results above, what is the "bk" column referring to?

Mostly nothing on that day it seems.

It can mean saddlecloth number.

In that Easter Cup Delightful Lady was number 14 and Hands Down was number 15.

So if they dont mirror the finishing order it seems they just guess albeit rather poorly.

14 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

ahh, I think it was mighty me I confused with lord Louie? I think that was the pretty weak easter cup. Yes remember Ashley knight, did that get sold o/s?

Nope, 1984 probably his only Easter Cup but he was an Ashburton Cup winner.

A hint of sorts, think Our Mana's little (half) sister.  :D  :P  :D

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Always on the money Harewood.

I wasn’t aware that The AllStars had a horse or two in the big trot?

Harewood, you doing the sums, how much of the money on the tote was from Oz punters?

No, you haven’t got a clue,  mostNZ punters are over betting In Races dominated by the one stable, getting such low divs.

It is costing the TAB plenty in lost revenue!

The only thing you are on the money about - is repeating this story - we have heard it again and again from you - most on here understood your opinion about this the first time you posted it. Don't know who you associate with but if you have to repeat the same things again and again to get them to understand I suggest you look for more intelligent friends.

How can you quote "most punters are over betting blah blah blah" - another of your "make it up as you go along" stories. 

Do you not have any "big boy pants"

21 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

The only thing you are on the money about - is repeating this story - we have heard it again and again from you - most on here understood your opinion about this the first time you posted it. Don't know who you associate with but if you have to repeat the same things again and again to get them to understand I suggest you look for more intelligent friends.

How can you quote "most punters are over betting blah blah blah" - another of your "make it up as you go along" stories. 

Do you not have any "big boy pants"

Well out of nappies Spike!

1 hour ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Thanks Kotare, remember race well. Backed Sir Castleton, not happy when buried on inner early, thought I was home when he cruised into it 400m from home!! 

Basil Dean hard horse to get by, that’s for sure. Time was amazing really, 

4 minutes ago, Portfolio said:

Thanks Kotare, remember race well. Backed Sir Castleton, not happy when buried on inner early, thought I was home when he cruised into it 400m from home!! 

Basil Dean hard horse to get by, that’s for sure. Time was amazing really, 

Basil Kittylittered them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty amazing all right. Thought I read somewhere that Basil lost half a shoe before race, driver said he trotted a little rough! 

I seem to recall John Walker running around Addington trying to break 4mins again? Can’t see anything about it, but I’m sure it happened. Was one of the years Hands Down won one of his many Easter cups. 

Remember TV1 showed major races from Addington on Easter in the 80s, thought it was Xmas! 

6553DB00-9B39-40E0-B772-DA1029FE4486.jpeg