RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jasonmccook1

WINX staying in OZ

I found the PR BS totally over the top actually

I absolutely respect the decision, and think  I would've made the same one myself.

But why didn't they just say "hey we decided to stay at home in the interests of the great mare and the Australian racing public and industry. Thanks for the interest and offers though"

3 minutes ago, Trump said:

100% the right decision. Let the pretenders come down under and try their luck against Aust and NZ's best. I hope Winx can go on and win a 4th Cox Plate. She's better than Kingston Town. 

I know its always difficult to compare horses from different eras ...Trump, what are your reasons for rating her better than KT? No of Gp 1s? 

I saw KT...he was an amazing equine athlete, too... do you think Winx could lump a big weight over 3200m at Flemington an go close or win? For me, the ability to carry big weights over 2400m+ is one way of comparing chamosfrom different generations... I know they'll never risk Winx over 3200 now..and I'd love to be wrong about that!

Her record speaks for itself. KT, as champion as he was (and I was on track for his 3 Cox wins), Winx has a better record. To a win a 4th CP would remove any doubt. If Miracle Mal had of been replaced by Peter Cook or a similar more patient jock, I think he would have won his MC. I say that even though I was on course and backed Gurners Lane to win. I often thank "The Enforcer" for his masterly ride that day - I needed the bread! I play a bit of golf with Mick now and then. He's still a ferocious competitor - on the golf course! 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

100% the right decision. Let the pretenders come down under and try their luck against Aust and NZ's best. I hope Winx can go on and win a 4th Cox Plate. She's better than Kingston Town. 

Big call.  Tommy Smith never spared him even after he had broken down.  And they didn't set the tracks up to suit him in those days either.

Two unbelievable horses but Dufficy and Radley were surprised the other day when McKee effectively conceded that Winx was better than Sunline.

Wonderful wonderful horses from different eras and how good is it to have lived to see them all?

9 hours ago, John Clydesdale said:

Chelsea

He said what you said, but used internationally understood lingo.......

Yeah I'm obviously an ordinary bloke John. The language used was so OTT for me it seemed like they were trying to justify their decision when they dont need to.

13 hours ago, weasel57 said:

I know its always difficult to compare horses from different eras ...Trump, what are your reasons for rating her better than KT? No of Gp 1s? 

I saw KT...he was an amazing equine athlete, too... do you think Winx could lump a big weight over 3200m at Flemington an go close or win? For me, the ability to carry big weights over 2400m+ is one way of comparing chamosfrom different generations... I know they'll never risk Winx over 3200 now..and I'd love to be wrong about that!

Interesting scenario Weasel given the comparison (if there really is one) that so many Kiwi and Aussie pacers go so well over a mile in the States. Most go there in the 3-6 year age group having had lots of racing and a solid grounding running mostly 22-2700 metres, are vetted sound but seem quite able to re-adapt and run some incredible times over the shorter course and under a totally different regime. I often wonder why a galloper can't make a similar change. I'm one who doesn't neccessarily equate breeding to how far they might run. After all, it was considered years ago that a good miler was quite capable of running out a good 2 miles. Check out some old Auckland Cup winners.

I think Waller was once asked the question about a MC run for Winx. He answered in a way that suggested she could run and possible win but what would be the point? Her weight in a Hcp would be astronomical. But really, she doesn't have to do anything more to prove her greatness, altho a 4th Cox a Plate would bring the crowd alive! Especially given the closeness of last years fright. I hope she proves more productive in the breeding ban than either of Sunline, Makybe and Black Caviar have been. 

1 hour ago, Mattski said:

I totally understand their reasons - but I am still a little disappointed they are not taking her to Ascot to show the European doubters how good she really is.

I doubt they really care Mattski. Frankel was the Northern super horse who never went anywhere either.

With $16m in the Bank, a $4m Queen Elizabeth coming up, and a 4th Cox Plate down the track...I'd say they were pretty happy leaving here here, where racegoers revere her and know how good she is.  End of the year, I'd bet she is retired to the matrons paddock.

No guarantees of success there as Trumpy pointed out, but it would be great if she left a legacy as a dam too....;)..

52 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I doubt they really care Mattski. Frankel was the Northern super horse who never went anywhere either.

With $16m in the Bank, a $4m Queen Elizabeth coming up, and a 4th Cox Plate down the track...I'd say they were pretty happy leaving here here, where racegoers revere her and know how good she is.  End of the year, I'd bet she is retired to the matrons paddock.

No guarantees of success there as Trumpy pointed out, but it would be great if she left a legacy as a dam too....;)..

Frankel didn't even get across the Channel and I've skimmed a stone across that (as a lad on Brighton beach - well it looked close anyway)

at the risk of putting the cat among the pigeons...and with a disclaimer.. I love Winx!

Q: when deciding her greatness In the pantheon of true champions of the turf (and she is definitely one of them!):

•  only one win over 2400m, against her own sex/age... how does she compare with Secretariat? (Belmont Stakes agst own age by 31L in time (2:24) that is still a world record

For me, there has never been a horse to surpass Secretariat.

9 hours ago, weasel57 said:

at the risk of putting the cat among the pigeons...and with a disclaimer.. I love Winx!

Q: when deciding her greatness In the pantheon of true champions of the turf (and she is definitely one of them!):

•  only one win over 2400m, against her own sex/age... how does she compare with Secretariat? (Belmont Stakes agst own age by 31L in time (2:24) that is still a world record

Our very own Horlicks with L A O up clocked 2.22 Weasel :)

17 hours ago, weasel57 said:

Maybe never one as juiced to the gills as that 31 length victory either, it has been discussed frequently in recent years.