RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bazach

85 horses for sale in this months Gavelhouse auction

Including the stallion Rios. I guess a number of people have thought about the cost of entry, preparation and transport to the May sale and have decided on the cheaper option. Interesting that Waikato and Windsor Park are selling a number of in foal mares (some with foals at foot) for no reserve, - it's good to see they are meeting the market.

It would be interesting to hear some feedback from those who have bought horses through the Gavelhouse auction. How did the process work for you etc?

Brought a mare with foal at foot (in one of the first auctions), mare arrived in very poor condition and when I questioned the photo in the ad had been taken at least 6 months earlier before she foaled.  Very disappointed and suggested that they make sure the photos are taken within a set time range as they do for the x-rays for the sales.

We've bought a couple off the online auctions. Made sure we rang the vendors & had a good talk about the horses before bidding. Have been very happy with them. But we've also taken on quite a few previously raced horses people have bought online without doing plenty of checking & they'd been dumped for a reason. Lots of problems, only 1 has been suitable to continue as a racing prospect. We've put a couple of broodmares on last year. But unless it's a genuinely high value horse it was a struggle to sell even unreserved. 

Thanks for feedback from those that have bought through Gavelhouse. It's Interesting that a number of you are buying without seeing. I guess it is difficult if having a viewing involves a lot of travel, and ok, if photos are extensive and show up conformation well, then that's good, but personally I wouldn't buy a horse (or vehicle for that matter), without seeing it first.

20 hours ago, Louise said:

Yeah for broodmares I'd get a Vet certificate of breeding done no good buying one to find it needs a 3k surgery......buyer beware

If the foal's gender matters to you I'd also be asking if the foetus has been sex-tested.

Most vendors can be contacted and you can do your best to get more info - also in this day and age it should be possible to Facetime (or whatever app you use) to get a bit of livefeed showing the horse if it's not possible to go to see it?

Sorry to hear about your experience Dibbles ... pretty disappointing.  Maybe they should consider introducing a feedback system like Trademe has  ...  

20 hours ago, Louise said:

Yeah for broodmares I'd get a Vet certificate of breeding done no good buying one to find it needs a 3k surgery......buyer beware

Agree Jess. I wonder if the vendor knew about the possible surgery Louise? As you say..'caveat emptor' (buyer beware), but I guess, as with a vehicle where you can get a mechanical check before you buy, and a house where you have to get a builders report for your mortgage, it is probably a good idea to get a vet to check a horse, although in your case Louise, if it was an internal issue, a vet may not have picked it up anyway.

4 hours ago, bazach said:

Agree Jess. I wonder if the vendor knew about the possible surgery Louise? As you say..'caveat emptor' (buyer beware), but I guess, as with a vehicle where you can get a mechanical check before you buy, and a house where you have to get a builders report for your mortgage, it is probably a good idea to get a vet to check a horse, although in your case Louise, if it was an internal issue, a vet may not have picked it up anyway.

Bazach I was in Aussie when mare purchased - lesson learnt, if I'd had a Vet check they'd easily picked up a uterus full of urine