RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

OP

I see he could only make 57kgs yesterday at Avondale. No disrespect but he must surely be thinking about life after race riding given the obvious constant pressure of making weights. Just mho.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Blue said:

I see he could only make 57kgs yesterday at Avondale. No disrespect but he must surely be thinking about life after race riding given the obvious constant pressure of making weights. Just mho.

retire and live off the earnings of his partner?

7 hours ago, weasel57 said:

retire and live off the earnings of his partner?

What's the chance of Emily getting an "offer she cant refuse" from Channel 7 Australia (or whoever shes' currently working for over there) and they both move to OZ.

OP would probably get rides on the higher weighted horses and if he happens to win a couple now and then he'll probably earn just about as much as he does over here (ignoring the retainer he's probably on with Te Akau).

Just a thought...

Ha ha .... only VS thing about me is that I'm  "Very Special" ...... but so is hubby - so I will be keeping him on for the time being even if I am forced into working until I'm 75 to pay for these goddamn ponies! .... :P 

1 hour ago, jess said:

• Open Class - R121
  •  
  • chelseacol
  •  

something we all aspire to ;)

Sometimes in my more glum moments I think my husband might already be there Col .... :):lol::P

evidently Jess some men feel bad or intimidated or whatever if their wife/partner earns more than them....

bloody idiots

Ha!  -Weirdos!! -  bad or intimidated be buggered!  Try ... "grateful" or "relieved" !!  :P

(To be fair mine has had his years of blitzing me on the salary front so I need to consider things on balance ... and it's me who's dug this big hole into which I throw banknotes  on a regular basis so I guess it's only right I pay my way .... )

Cheers, J

1 hour ago, jess said:

Ha ha .... only VS thing about me is that I'm  "Very Special" ...... but so is hubby - so I will be keeping him on for the time being even if I am forced into working until I'm 75 to pay for these goddamn ponies! .... :P 

unless they are very fast ponies and/or racing in Oz, Sing or HK you may have to extend that to 85 ...

2 hours ago, pobear said:

What about his manger Rodley he should be lined up if he is taking these rides for him at those weights.

And shouldn't the syndicate Manager have something to say about that on behalf of the members? Sometimes friendship and emotion needs to be put aside. If he can't make the weight it's a disadvantage not knowing till the 11th hour.

Probably not fair on the punters what is happening - but I don't talk outta my pocket as I'm very much a small-time punter (when I have a bet at all).

Must be darned hard when you are not a natural lightweight .... hopefully he has made hay while the sun has shone and has plenty stashed away and has the option of a change of career before the battle becomes too damaging to the body'n'soul .....

J

1 hour ago, Pegs Pride said:

Feeling very sorry for Opie. There have been just too many days affected of late. The battle becoming too great I fear. 

I have no sympathy. Bloody unprofessional and a poor look for the industry. Not to mention a real kick in the guts for those that took him in the jockeys challenge. 

1 hour ago, Tool no. 1 said:

I have no sympathy. Bloody unprofessional and a poor look for the industry. Not to mention a real kick in the guts for those that took him in the jockeys challenge. 

I do appreciate your point of view and anger at the outcomes he is causing. He surely is at the point of making some pretty life changing decisions re his future as a rider. Trainers, punters and the industry are suffering and there can be NO repeats of non show. Question is, If allowed another chance, can he guarantee it won't happen again. A ban would be a sorry end to an otherwise brilliant career.