RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

OP

You would have thought that the TAB should have refunded those punters who took Opie on their special option offered this morning at $2.20 to win the jockey's challenge today. Punters would have taken the bet based on what his list of rides were. That factor was considerably changed after not being able to make the weight on three key runners thereby making a mockery of the original bet.

The TAB should use their discretion and as a mark of goodwill to those punters refund those bets under the option the TAB used. I believe under similar circumstances a punter a while ago who outlayed $10,000 in a similar bet on Opie was refunded. So why not here????  

38 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

You would have thought that the TAB should have refunded those punters who took Opie on their special option offered this morning at $2.20 to win the jockey's challenge today. Punters would have taken the bet based on what his list of rides were. That factor was considerably changed after not being able to make the weight on three key runners thereby making a mockery of the original bet.

The TAB should use their discretion and as a mark of goodwill to those punters refund those bets under the option the TAB used. I believe under similar circumstances a punter a while ago who outlayed $10,000 in a similar bet on Opie was refunded. So why not here????  

Can you tell me why the mysterious punter was refunded? Many people think it was his agent but we will never know will we.

51 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

I believe under similar circumstances a punter a while ago who outlayed $10,000 in a similar bet on Opie was refunded. So why not here????  

From memory the circumstances were different.  I think on that previous occasion he was injured very early on (or became ill) and had to stand-down from all his mounts.  Today he didn't relinquish all of his mounts - he still had rides on two relatively short favourites.  Further, on Wednesday he was unable to ride at 57.5kgs - had to ride 0.5kgs over, so punters should have been wary with him accepting rides today at 56.5kgs.

I see he has been suspended for 3 weeks and fined $2,000.  I feel for the guy but agree you can't have a situation where punters continue to get burnt.  If he can't make the weight, don't accept the rides.

Avantage at 55kgs in the KM a distant memory.

I have just been made aware he’s contracted to Te Akau so that would tale his agent out of the equation? Maybe with OP recent weight issues it was a dumb option put up by the TAB .

7 hours ago, puha said:

I have just been made aware he’s contracted to Te Akau so that would tale his agent out of the equation? Maybe with OP recent weight issues it was a dumb option put up by the TAB .

2 of the 3 were not Te Akau horses though. 

11 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Bit harsh on those who backed the eventual winner though to have their odds slashed when they probably would have won anyhow.

13 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

I have no sympathy. Bloody unprofessional and a poor look for the industry. Not to mention a real kick in the guts for those that took him in the jockeys challenge. 

Any one that backed him in the jockey challenge should of gotten a refund and new odds given for his 3 rides TAB sucks. A good way to lose punters!

18 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Memo Opie knockers

When you bet on an option like the Jockeys Challege you should factor in the possibility that some jockeys may not be able to ride at the carded weight and either ride overweight or are stood down. No use grizzling-it is a case of punter beware.

Not knocking Opie, the tab should of used discretion and refunded the jockey challenge  bets,punters bet on having 6 chances not 3!

4 hours ago, rdytdy said:

The special option they put out yesterday morning was a stand alone option not affecting anything else. 

Hence my earlier question.

So in this instance the TAB pocket the lot as the only option was OP to win the challenge @ 2.20 ?

No option to say OP would NOT win the challenge @ say 1.60 ?

17 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Hence my earlier question.

So in this instance the TAB pocket the lot as the only option was OP to win the challenge @ 2.20 ?

No option to say OP would NOT win the challenge @ say 1.60 ?

Correct. 

19 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

I have no sympathy. Bloody unprofessional and a poor look for the industry. Not to mention a real kick in the guts for those that took him in the jockeys challenge. 

gee! you are claiming that one of the very best jockeys to ever ride in nz is somehow Unprofessional!!! when he has been putting in a MASSIVE EFFORT to even being a Jockey!!! For Year on year on year! against great biological and mental struggles and still rides 100s of black type winners!!!!  give yourself a slap and claim down!

1 hour ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Can anyone think of a better opportunity for the TAB to create some goodwill than offering refunds in this situation.

130% correct!  and to think how much extra revenue the likes of OP has delivered to this Industry! and some people wonder why some of us have some much bitter cynicism towards them! I stop betting with them through spite! 

1 hour ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Can anyone think of a better opportunity for the TAB to create some goodwill than offering refunds in this situation.

Goodwill?????, the TAB?????? Funniest post ever. Te Akau had to replace their Asian jockey too didn't they (Our Abbadean)? Appears someone's not really doing their homework very well.

1 hour ago, oh dear me said:

gee! you are claiming that one of the very best jockeys to ever ride in nz is somehow Unprofessional!!! when he has been putting in a MASSIVE EFFORT to even being a Jockey!!! For Year on year on year! against great biological and mental struggles and still rides 100s of black type winners!!!!  give yourself a slap and claim down!

It's well documented that the risk of fatality is high when excessive effort is made to reduce weight quickly.

Therefore by putting up fines and suspensions for failing to make the weight the industry is risking million dollar law suits. But it worries about owners watching their horse getting saddled up on questionable safety grounds.

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

It's well documented that the risk of fatality is high when excessive effort is made to reduce weight quickly.

Therefore by putting up fines and suspensions for failing to make the weight the industry is risking million dollar law suits. But it worries about owners watching their horse getting saddled up on questionable safety grounds.

Yip! it's only a matter of time... 'over watering the tracks' will be another 'event' were it's probably going to happen also! At least 'those in power' now know this and are trying to err on the conservative side!  Though they are still sending the little fellas around to prove the track is not safe! The gross, unhealthy wasting etc they choose to be blind to! 

4 hours ago, oh dear me said:

Crack jockey Opie Bosson's career is in turmoil after he was charged with providing a urine sample for another jockey.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing charged Bosson and Palmerston North jockey Bruce Herd after a tip-off led investigators to check the validity of one of the urine samples from random drug testing at a Waikato Racing Club meeting at Te Rapa on October 3.

The Waikato Times understands Herd was asked to provide a urine sample but allegedly had Bosson provide one for him.

Bosson and Herd could not to be contacted by Stuff.co.nz.

1 hour ago, Diver Dan said:

Crack jockey Opie Bosson's career is in turmoil after he was charged with providing a urine sample for another jockey.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing charged Bosson and Palmerston North jockey Bruce Herd after a tip-off led investigators to check the validity of one of the urine samples from random drug testing at a Waikato Racing Club meeting at Te Rapa on October 3.

The Waikato Times understands Herd was asked to provide a urine sample but allegedly had Bosson provide one for him.

Bosson and Herd could not to be contacted by Stuff.co.nz.

showing some solidarity with his fellow worker!   still one of the best ever riders this country has ever seen! 

1 hour ago, oh dear me said:

showing some solidarity with his fellow worker!   still one of the best ever riders this country has ever seen! 

Can I add some clarity to this thread by letting other Cafers know that the urine sample requested was sought about 10 years ago...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/674130/Top-jockeys-in-urine-switch-scandal

Indeed ... and probably most are aware of that? ...it sure was a bit random the way it got thrown into the thread in the first place .... but maybe a response to someone mounting a case for OP to become a saint or get a knighthood for services to racing?? :blink::P

.... the bare facts on NZTR; no explanation provided ....

Meeting News

Opie Bosson will not be riding at Rotorua Monday 2nd April

Opie Bosson will not be riding at Rotorua Monday 2nd April