RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Bonecrusher Statue

Bonecrusher Opinions on Jockey or no Jockey   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Ok I know this is irrelevant really as the statue is there already so just for fun should Big Red have G Stewart on or not.

• Yes he should be there
    • No he is fine as it is.

6 minutes ago, ADM said:

Having Jim Pike on Pharlap gives the statue life and relevance 

Jim's dead isn't he?

7 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

he just argues to argue... GD12

Well running the poll is crass in my opinion.  Shows no sensitivity to the Mitchell family at all.  But that's par for the course I guess.

IMO a poll is not required. Having seen the statue, I think it would be even better with G Stewart aboard OR the saddle and bridle removed. For the sake of clarity, this is not a criticism of the sculptor's work. She did a great job and I'd like to see a few more of these at racetracks in NZ. Especially one of Sunline, who captured the imagination of the public in the same way that Black Caviar and Winx have in recent years.

3 hours ago, weasel57 said:

IMO a poll is not required. Having seen the statue, I think it would be even better with G Stewart aboard OR the saddle and bridle removed. For the sake of clarity, this is not a criticism of the sculptor's work. She did a great job and I'd like to see a few more of these at racetracks in NZ. Especially one of Sunline, who captured the imagination of the public in the same way that Black Caviar and Winx have in recent years.

My opinion is that the statue depicts Bonecrusher as a race horse - the saddle and bridle are a metaphor for that.  The addition of a jockey would have taken attention away from Bonecrusher and I'm impressed with the detail they imparted on the sculpture down to the inclusion of the scar on his shoulder.

At the end of the day in this great game we call horse racing, we remember the horses.  A shame the NZRB hasn't cottoned onto that fact.  If it weren't for the fine equine animal of both breeds which for many of us have been a part of our working life (yes I did work in a stable for a period of time) there wouldn't have been an industry.

Unless we are really diligent (obsessive?) train spotters we don't remember who rode or drove our champions in every race we remember the horses and their performances.  Grey Way, Copper Belt, Altitude, Bonecrusher, Xcellent, Empire Rose, Show Gate, Hands Down, Lord Module, Christian Cullen, Cardigan Bay......Black Caviar, Winx, Lonhro, Might and Power..... 

Now that's not arguing for the sake of arguing - it's passion for the equine animal.  I heard a rather poignant moment around the statue - when Mrs Mitchell, who I understand is not very well, saw the statue in place for the first time she cried deeply upon recognition of her much loved horse.  A horse that she had spent 25 years or more each day going down to the paddock to pat and feed him.

If the Mitchell's are happy then the rest of you can go take a hike!

4 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

My opinion is that the statue depicts Bonecrusher as a race horse - the saddle and bridle are a metaphor for that.  The addition of a jockey would have taken attention away from Bonecrusher and I'm impressed with the detail the imparted on the sculpture down to the inclusion of the scar on his shoulder.

At the end of the day in this great game we call horse racing we remember the horses.  A shame the NZRB hasn't cottoned onto that fact.  If it weren't for the fine equine animal of both breeds which for many of us have been a part of our working life (yes I did work in a stable for a period of time) there wouldn't have been an industry.

Unless we are really diligent (obsessive?) train spotters we don't remember who rode or drove our champions in every race we remember the horses and their performances.  Grey Way, Copper Belt, Altitude, Bonecrusher, Xcellent, Empire Rose, Show Gate, Hands Down, Lord Module, Christian Cullen, Cardigan Bay......Black Caviar, Winx, Lonhro, Might and Power..... 

Black Caviar and Winx probably not good examples.....and Bonecrusher certainly isn't......:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Black Caviar and Winx probably not good examples.....and Bonecrusher certainly isn't......:rolleyes:

Yes but you are train spotter.  I'd bet even now people remember Black Caviar long before the remember who rode her.

4 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

Well running the poll is crass in my opinion.  Shows no sensitivity to the Mitchell family at all.  But that's par for the course I guess.

Well you certainly seem to be in the minority here on that... so you can do what you are telling others to and take a hike...cheers.

22 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Well you certainly seem to be in the minority here on that... so you can do what you are telling others to and take a hike...cheers.

Why are you so bitter?  The majority are not always right and they can be insensitive.

I've followed the to and fro between Scooby and Admin for the past few months, and I've been puzzled, as I don't know the relationship between you - obviously Scooby owns Cafe and I assume Admin runs things, yet there is such such bitterness for a owner/manager relationship (albeit quite entertaining it must be said!).

I think I've finally worked it out - you two were married and couldn't agree on how to split Cafe when the divorce came through - am I close?

37 minutes ago, Catalano said:

I've followed the to and fro between Scooby and Admin for the past few months, and I've been puzzled, as I don't know the relationship between you - obviously Scooby owns Cafe and I assume Admin runs things, yet there is such such bitterness for a owner/manager relationship (albeit quite entertaining it must be said!).

I think I've finally worked it out - you two were married and couldn't agree on how to split Cafe when the divorce came through - am I close?

No it wont be long and everything will become very clear... that I can promise everyone... cheers...but the ones who choose can still rubbish me for all and sundry on other sites for the way i run the site, hiding behind alias's as they are to gutless to front up themselves.

42 minutes ago, Catalano said:

I too have had cause to wonder Catalano.

Admin wars some of the best entertaiment I witness online

3 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

Why are you so bitter?  The majority are not always right and they can be insensitive.

No I stated facts you are the minority here, just as you were on the thread you started suggesting Hugh Bowman jumped off !!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, scooby3051 said:

No I stated facts you are the minority here, just as you were on the thread you started suggesting Hugh Bowman jumped off !!!!!!!!

Na I'm the vocal part of the silent majority.

1 hour ago, Idolmite said:

May I be so bold as to request you do remain silent from now on. Call it spring cleaning....

You stick to dirt tracks.