RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
bloke

Hurricanes V The Sheep Shaggers

I am a Football man but many years ago I worked in Wellington in a group of 8 and 6 of my colleagues were Sheep Shaggers. They were unbrearable when the subject of Rugby came up always banging on about Canterbury. However, when I found out that their mascot was a sheep I played it for all that it was worth.

. So every year when the Hurricanes v The Shaggers I watch with great interest and when the Hurricanes win it is just so sweet.

I'm not "loving it" any longer. Canterbury look to good at home. They should down the Canes, in what to all effects is the Final of Super Rugby 2018. 

If Canes were to win then go on to lose to Warratahs or Lions the whole thing would look a bit of a sham.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, bloke said:

I am a Football man but many years ago I worked in Wellington in a group of 8 and 6 of my colleagues were Sheep Shaggers. They were unbrearable when the subject of Rugby came up always banging on about Canterbury. However, when I found out that their mascot was a sheep I played it for all that it was worth.

. So every year when the Hurricanes v The Shaggers I watch with great interest and when the Hurricanes win it is just so sweet.

Should be, it doesn't happen often....:rolleyes:

The Hurricanes had really a good run  for a while beating the shaggers on a regular basis. But  form down in the sheep pen this year has been  poor. The crowds for the Super Comp seem to dwindle each year (on Saturday plenty of vacant seats). Alarm bells should be ringing for Rugby Administrators

Bloke -  I think too people just cannot afford to go to Rugby (or League) matches week after week and especially if they have a family of hungry little brats with them.     Don't know what the NZRU charge but if you add it all up - the Super Series, the Test series, the Mitre 10 cup, the Tours to NZ - boy you need to earn a fortune to be able to afford this lot.      And of course warm pies, soggy chips, and flat Coke cost nearly as much as the game itself.      So I'm picking many opted to wait for the final rather than go to the semi if they don't shower in currency. 

6 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

All this stuff about "Hurricanes didn't turn up" and "Barrett outplayed" is just bull ..it.  it was the Crusaders defence that won them the game. It was brilliant. i hope they can do it again next week.

Sure was Uriah, and will need to be as the Lions have some serious firepower. Mo'unga has been fantastic.

40 minutes ago, eljay said:

Bloke -  I think too people just cannot afford to go to Rugby (or League) matches week after week and especially if they have a family of hungry little brats with them.     Don't know what the NZRU charge but if you add it all up - the Super Series, the Test series, the Mitre 10 cup, the Tours to NZ - boy you need to earn a fortune to be able to afford this lot.      And of course warm pies, soggy chips, and flat Coke cost nearly as much as the game itself.      So I'm picking many opted to wait for the final rather than go to the semi if they don't shower in currency. 

You cannot get more one eyed than a sheep shagger. They only had about 7k at the quarter final and maybe 12k on Saturday. Mitre 10 Rugby has been dead for a long time. A few years ago they had the grand total of 300 spectataors to watch Auckland v Waikato. Even Ellerslie gets more than that

16 hours ago, bloke said:

You cannot get more one eyed than a sheep shagger. They only had about 7k at the quarter final and maybe 12k on Saturday. Mitre 10 Rugby has been dead for a long time. A few years ago they had the grand total of 300 spectataors to watch Auckland v Waikato. Even Ellerslie gets more than that

Interesting that you mention the races as well. Watching the races from Awapuni last weekend I wondered if was anybody on course? Fact is Kiwi's increasingly just "don't turn up". Not sure why that is - a cultural thing I reckon. Look at Melbourne on the weekend. 100.000 sell out for Richmond v Collingwood in a normal round robin game of AFL footy. Melbourne people turn out to watch top level sport. I don't know if they're anymore passionate about their sport than Kiiwi's (or maybe they are) - it's just what you do in Melbourne. It's not an Aussie thing cause some of the NRL crowds are abysmal. Sydney is more like Auckland. A different breed.

Crusaders won the lollies and by and large that was deserved. There defence was unbelievable in those last two games v Canes and Lions. Some debate about how they rank compared with Canterbury teams of the past. Not sure about the backs, but the forward pack would be right up there. All Blacks throughout and the hooker, two locks and open side flanker all playing at their peak.