RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
richie

Allstars 10 wins in a row

Hey Harewood, geezuz the place went pretty quiet after that win I tell you woulda thought someone died, he tromped all over some our best it didn't go down well :D for me it was Delightful Lady and Handsdown their battle royale gawd she fought him, fought him hard! but he was just too big for our Queen of The Park she lost nothin in defeat though bless her....hey what ever happened to Steel Jaw he kinda fell off the radar after that?

Cheers Iraklis

22 hours ago, harewood said:

Steel Jaws cup was one of my all time favs At least 6 lengths clear at the 800 and pulling his head off Did he stop NO won by an even biggrr margin Just sheer raw pacing power Loved it

Very slow race by todays standards, only 4.05 but still one of the fastest up till then.The bunch behind were pretty ordinary with no standouts, just good journeymen pacers. Our Mana ,Camelot, Sunseeker, an over the hill Hands Down, Enterprise, Derby, Ben, and of course Bonnies Chance again over it.  I always had my suspicions about him being "juiced "up for that , as he was taken on in the FFA and weakened out to finish 10th.

On 14/03/2018 at 6:20 PM, harewood said:

Steel Jaws cup was one of my all time favs At least 6 lengths clear at the 800 and pulling his head off Did he stop NO won by an even biggrr margin Just sheer raw pacing power Loved it

Saddest part was owner Ossie Marr having a heart attack at presentation and later dying in hospital. All too much for him. 

5 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Very slow race by todays standards, only 4.05 but still one of the fastest up till then.The bunch behind were pretty ordinary with no standouts, just good journeymen pacers. Our Mana ,Camelot, Sunseeker, an over the hill Hands Down, Enterprise, Derby, Ben, and of course Bonnies Chance again over it.  I always had my suspicions about him being "juiced "up for that , as he was taken on in the FFA and weakened out to finish 10th.

I wouldn't of minded owning one of those "journeymen pacers". 

7 hours ago, globederby12 said:

It was a race record at the time.

People may well say the same about Lazarus in 20 years time when they are running 3.45, slow time and he only beat average fields. You can only beat whats in front of you and as you well know its not good to compare eras. Its more the way you dominate a race that makes you special and both Steel Jaw and Lazarus have done that and thats why I will remember those races above all others. 

Sure titanic battles, Hands Down v D Lady,  were great to watch but nothing beats a horse dominating a race and making it his own leaving the others as well beaten also runs. I also loved when Armalight did similar a couple of years earlier in a slightly slower time. Any suspicious about that race

Bonnies Chance won the cup the year before and Camelot the year after, Our Mana ran several placings  and we all know Hands Down well so they were not a mug field.

Looking forward to continuing our discussions in Perth :)

C'mon Globe those were some our best at the time, but you weren't the only one to mention horse bein 'juiced' for that race, a few people I know from the sport one of em at the time a vet commented on the same thing, hey who knows :) he still handed out an ass whippin that left alot of our best stunned.....it stung a bit I can tell yuh that, woke alot of em up

Cheers Iraklis

9 hours ago, harewood said:

It was a race record at the time.

People may well say the same about Lazarus in 20 years time when they are running 3.45, slow time and he only beat average fields. You can only beat whats in front of you and as you well know its not good to compare eras. Its more the way you dominate a race that makes you special and both Steel Jaw and Lazarus have done that and thats why I will remember those races above all others. 

Sure titanic battles, Hands Down v D Lady,  were great to watch but nothing beats a horse dominating a race and making it his own leaving the others as well beaten also runs. I also loved when Armalight did similar a couple of years earlier in a slightly slower time. Any suspicious about that race

Bonnies Chance won the cup the year before and Camelot the year after, Our Mana ran several placings  and we all know Hands Down well so they were not a mug field.

Looking forward to continuing our discussions in Perth :)

Should be fun. But dominating a race like that had Juniors Image written all over it considering his further runs. So from that perspective I didn't enjoy it.

I still regard our best at that time fairly average, with the obvious exceptions.

If he ran 4.05 and won by what 8 lengths, doesn't take an Einstein to work out that the rest were pretty slow, in fact they might as well have run in Cardys

1963 Cup. 4.11. They might have kept up. 

Anyhow I'm not dissing the horses just categorizing them as an ordinary bunch in that particular time.

Let's get back to the original post

On 14/03/2018 at 8:50 PM, Value Bell said:

Is Bob Knight still training. I know Vinnies death hit Bob big time. Sold our horse in 1983 to the Knight stable.

I would say Bob is well and truly gone by now.

Poppy, what a great horse. 62 starts, 49 wins, 7x 2nds, 3 x 3rds. 

They made some average horses run very fast, and we all know how this happens. 

Just now, Spikecity said:

And the juggernaut continues tonight at Addington :D

12 in a row. On the turn johnny looked like he had them covered. Then the Purdon "extra" kicks in and surprise surprise Natalie's drive gets home.

1 minute ago, Spikecity said:

I felt that gut buster she had at Auckland might have taken its toll

Didn't think it was the smart thing for Dexter to chase them with other big races coming up. Yes Mark did the same thing with his two year old but will probably be given time to recover.