RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

too many chiefs

It is hard to believe the ineptitude of those that  employed John Allen (poss Glenda Hughes) to run the NZRB. While he appears a decent individual his background in the post office and foreign affairs and some time a partner in a law firm as he states , hardly qualifies him as someone who can steer the industry in the right direction. He is ineffect CEO of the TAB yet seems quite proud of the fact that prior to his appointment he had never stepped inside a TAB !!!!!!!!!!!  I have heard the argument for a new fresh approach appoint someone completely outside the Industry (bit of afalse cliche) I have seen this done.. in many Businesses with a marked lack of success .The Racing Industry is in many ways a very complex animal and has now changed so much it is barely recognisable from just a few years ago. With literally million and millions spent on administration eg.. NZRB,TAB,RIU,JCA,NZTR,HRNZ,NZGA,the poor struggling owners/trainers (the majority anyway)have little chance of breaking even. This top heavy industry is in danger of collapse if inexperienced administrators become more interested in their own positions and fail to see where the problems need to be addressed.(  would the federated Farmers employ a CEO who Had never stepped foot inside a farmgate ? ) Come ON Winston have a close look at what is happening.I personally am hanging in in my 70s hoping for a top horse before I get too old or the Industry simply implodes.

Why not, when appointing boards, do they not include a better representation of actual industry participants. For example the board of HRNZ should include an owners rep, a trainers rep,a drivers rep and also a junior drivers rep and an amateur drivers rep. It is ridiculous that decisions are not made in consultation with these type of people after all they ARE the industry. Interesting to note that HRNZ have appointed a new Operations Manager and guess what she has no experience in Harness racing although she says that she has experience in equestrian. That is sure to do Harness racing a lot of good isn't it!!

As a smaller owner I feel somewhat betrayed by the powers to be who are doing nothing to address the dissatisfaction within our great sport. At Northern Southland we see two group races with $25,000 stakes and seven runners mainly for the benefit of stables that see Southland as easy pickings in fact I have heard that one stable nominated another one of their runners solely to get the race off the ground! Take $5000 off each race and you could cater for a lower class race to give the battler a chance instead of pandering to the high fliers..

They might do what Ralph Norris done with Fletchers. F----d up bigtime and walked away. If Ralph had any balls he should have said" We will work our way out of this". But no leave the mess for someone else to clean up. The two examples above are out of their league.