RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Chautauqua....has he had enough....???

For the third time, the champion grey has stayed in the stalls in a barrier trial. Yet the Hawkes camp want to persevere with his campaign.

There is clearly something wrong with the horse, he is either in pain, or doesn't want to be a racehorse anymore....or both.

I hope they do the right thing. He has nothing left to prove.

Of course, maybe he just doesn't like Avdulla....and wants Tommy back....?? :rolleyes:

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/chautauqua-stays-in-the-barriers-again-20180308

38 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

For the third time, the champion grey has stayed in the stalls in a barrier trial. Yet the Hawkes camp want to persevere with his campaign.

There is clearly something wrong with the horse, he is either in pain, or doesn't want to be a racehorse anymore....or both.

I hope they do the right thing. He has nothing left to prove.

Of course, maybe he just doesn't like Avdulla....and wants Tommy back....?? :rolleyes:

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/chautauqua-stays-in-the-barriers-again-20180308

Just announced on RACENET that he is off to Melbourne and  has to trial there, they are hoping the change of scenery will do the trick!. Had to smile at this comment that someone had in comments....

An open letter from Chautauqua to his connections:-

Dear connections,
I know that sometimes you think I’m being difficult or stubborn or just plain quirky, and that at this very moment you all feel like pulling your hair out, but actually I’m still a very sensitive creature, and I want you all to realise that I’m actually trying to tell you something very important.
I’ve had enough...yep, you read this correctly. I’m tired. No more early mornings for me. I want to feel the soft grass under my hooves and the wind in my mane.
I may decide in the future to help out the young rascals on the track and guide them as clerk of the course, but I will do it on my terms when I’m good and ready.
I want to retire. If you feel like running, then by all means you give it a go. 
Please remember I thank you all for the thrills of the racing scene, but I’m hanging up my shoes for good.
With kindest regards as always,
Your Chautauqua xx

He always used to give the rest a start.....maybe he is just giving them a bigger one!

7 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Good video that. He seemed perfectly happy trotting around, but pretty clear he has no intention of running.

A long spell won't make things any better. He's done. Nothing to prove. Deserves a nice comfortable retirement.

All true but you would agree he doesn't look an unhappy horse and I would imagine that the vets have been all over him.

Clearly there is something there. Horses don't just stop doing what they have been doing for years unless there is a problem. Walking and trotting seems to be ok, but you would guess that the stress of running at pace is causing discomfort/pain somewhere. The horse is smart enough to recognise what comes next after jumping, so says "No thanks..."

The vets probably have been all over him, but whatever the problem is, they are missing it....IMO.

1 hour ago, La Zip said:

This Amazing racehorse who owes NO ONE anything...in fact Hawkes Racing, Rupert Leagh &co owe him.  A nice home with Graham Salisbury and Subbie would be ideal....

Totally agree Zip but I'd love to see him put out in a big paddock for a few days and maybe they can confirm whether its mental or physical.(not

a horse Professional here so assuming they can tell)Most horses I've seen in paddocks seem to love a good charge around occassionally.

Give him to Dummy for a month and ban journalists from seeing him.

Maybe they are getting the message. My money is on retirement announcement very soon. $8m should be enough for anyone.

It is the fourth time this campaign Chautauqua has refused to leave the barriers in a trial

Co-trainer Wayne Hawkes said the star sprinter would head back to the spelling paddock while connections determine his racing future.

"It's race day today and you never make a decision on race day but the time is coming, sooner rather than later," Hawkes, who trains Chautauqua in partnership with his father John and brother Michael, said.

"He owes us nothing.

"If I had another horse that won five Group Is and eight-and-a-half million (dollars), I'd cop that everyday of the week.

"It's not a throw away line, it's the truth."

"He's never been here before but if they don't want to do it, they won't do it."

Na the horse is cheating and to be frank always has in a way.  But $8m in the bank you can excuse him.  I'd suggest though a change of trainer might get in his head.

10 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

Na the horse is cheating and to be frank always has in a way.  But $8m in the bank you can excuse him.  I'd suggest though a change of trainer might get in his head.

I guess he’s had enough of living and working at Rosehill....can understand that...

From the horses mouth.....:D

Chautauqua (Cranbourne trials, March 19, finished last)

Comments?
F##k off

Is that the enduring memory you want your fans to have of your career?
What? You serious? My career is a walking, talking, big grey flash of a highlight reel. Think I’ve earned the right to do what I feel when I’m out on the track.

Is this the end?
Dunno, but if they keep taking me out here to have fake races against second rate camels, then I think you know what my response will be. Seriously man, Cranbourne. Enough said.

Been fascinated to read all the comments on social media about why he won't come out of the gates. We spent a lot of last winter puzzling a similar thing with one of our horses. She loves working. Loves Racing & is 100% fit, healthy, happy & in no pain. But took to getting slower & slower away. We tried a few gear changes & they didn't work. Everyone else seemed to get super stressed at the gates wanting her to jump & she got 1000% worse! Once we pusuaded everyone to just back off & leave her be, she decided to jump out again. Though it's still on her terms & I'd never bet on what she's going to do. She's very strong minded & likes very set routine. If anything isn't to her liking then she's not happy. Sometimes you just have to accept that you can't control everything. Chautauqua looks like the kind of horse that knows his own mind & will definitely have the final word on the subject.