RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

Just Like The Good Old Days

Have you seen the size of the Forbury fields tonight?

Eleven races and most of them had emergencies.Normally these days anyone who wants a start gets one.

It used to be so different...I remember owning a maiden in the early '90s when you were very lucky to get a start anywhere unless you either had a raceday placing in your last four4 starts or you had won a trial.The trials normally had at least ten starters.

I guess we're luckier in  Southland/Otago and Canterbury that we have the horse numbers but even so sometimes the fields can be small.

But not tonight!!!

20 minutes ago, Bruce M said:

Have you seen the size of the Forbury fields tonight?

Eleven races and most of them had emergencies.Normally these days anyone who wants a start gets one.

It used to be so different...I remember owning a maiden in the early '90s when you were very lucky to get a start anywhere unless you either had a raceday placing in your last four4 starts or you had won a trial.The trials normally had at least ten starters.

I guess we're luckier in  Southland/Otago and Canterbury that we have the horse numbers but even so sometimes the fields can be small.

But not tonight!!!

Interesting point.

Obviously many 'hobby' trainers and enthusiasts in the area.

Can't say the stakes are a factor as 8 of the 11 races are for a total purse of $7k or less  ( $6,250 ).

These stakes are a disgrace.

tasman man - people in the area can actually afford to have a horse or horses as costs not for millionaires only as in a  certain other area lol.

I think also that stakes secondary down there - the "thrill of the win" is the most important factor.      Although I suppose that also true up North where big stakes appear to ensure small fields.

2 minutes ago, eljay said:

tasman man - people in the area can actually afford to have a horse or horses as costs not for millionaires only as in a  certain other area lol.

I think also that stakes secondary down there - the "thrill of the win" is the most important factor.      Although I suppose that also true up North where big stakes appear to ensure small fields.

True eljay...

Having lived in both Islands I can say I have experienced the difference lifestyles and outlooks.

Car Parking comes to mind.........a few hours can cost you $40 in Auckland ,in the South there were still meters which gave you time for 10 cents !

I guess there has always been many more hobby trainers in the South , and the people in general much more relaxed with simpler wants and needs !

Used to be an army of 1 or 2 horse trainers in the North, alas the majority of them have either passed on or found the going too tough and pulled the plug.     It may be a coincidence but the decline of the "gentlemen trainers" appears to have started when the codes gave the almighty Racing Board/TAB control over the sport.     From a booming industry racing very quickly declined with the introduction of (yes progress and all that) Trackside TV, Introduction of more and more "exotic" betting, Sports betting, so the list goes on.     And just look at the industry's fall from grace in the provinces with the closure of tracks, centralisation etc.     I was always led to believe that firstly if it wasn't broken don't fix it or if Improvements were made to further the cause, then you should come out of the exercise better off.       This did not happen to racing and sadly the barn door also appears to have been removed and cannot be shut to guard whatever is left.

59 minutes ago, eljay said:

Introduction of more and more "exotic" betting, Sports betting, so the list goes on.     

I agree that there are too many exotic bets which spread the pools too thin.  If we did away with first 4's it may lead to larger trifecta pools.

The pick 6 should be a pick eight, thereby creating more jackpots and larger pools leading to more excitement.  

1 hour ago, eljay said:

Used to be an army of 1 or 2 horse trainers in the North, alas the majority of them have either passed on or found the going too tough and pulled the plug.     It may be a coincidence but the decline of the "gentlemen trainers" appears to have started when the codes gave the almighty Racing Board/TAB control over the sport.     From a booming industry racing very quickly declined with the introduction of (yes progress and all that) Trackside TV, Introduction of more and more "exotic" betting, Sports betting, so the list goes on.     And just look at the industry's fall from grace in the provinces with the closure of tracks, centralisation etc.     I was always led to believe that firstly if it wasn't broken don't fix it or if Improvements were made to further the cause, then you should come out of the exercise better off.       This did not happen to racing and sadly the barn door also appears to have been removed and cannot be shut to guard whatever is left.

Who remembers a night out at Hutt Park where the north met the south. Always began with maiden trot and  the divvies were enormous. Never ever saw a fav win the first in all my years in there.

D Jones could usually  help the cause when he turned up

5 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Who remembers a night out at Hutt Park where the north met the south. Always began with maiden trot and  the divvies were enormous. Never ever saw a fav win the first in all my years in there.

D Jones could usually  help the cause when he turned up

I always remember the horses comming up to Hurt Park from the Nelson circuit.

Four zeros to their name, and you knew they would ping on the night. Didn't pay much but usually a dead cert to give a lie to the form. Frank Cooney another of my favs and usually came up trumps with something.

11 hours ago, globederby12 said:

I always remember the horses comming up to Hurt Park from the Nelson circuit.

Four zeros to their name, and you knew they would ping on the night. Didn't pay much but usually a dead cert to give a lie to the form. Frank Cooney another of my favs and usually came up trumps with something.

And the Nobles always had a team with their relationship with Roy McKenzie....Stanley Rio, Garcon Roux, Valencia, Mon Ami....et al......;)