RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sighted

Auckland Cup

Yir Tiz, I was there for Rose Mellay, that wet day.

Up the top of the Members Stand in the the Champagne Bar(?) with the “shag pile carpet” that was “all the rage” in those days. 

Were you there too? 

If so, what an amazing coincidence given our mutual contribution to the Derby, Guineas & Oaks competition. 

4 minutes ago, Insider said:

Yir Tiz, I was there for Rose Mellay, that wet day.

Up the top of the Members Stand in the the Champagne Bar(?) with the “shag pile carpet” that was “all the rage” in those days. 

Were you there too? 

If so, what an amazing coincidence given our mutual contribution to the Derby, Guineas & Oaks competition. 

Yes I was there but with family doing the "picnic rug and thermos" version!!, under the trees at side of the old public stand Never made it to the lounge you describe but having spent many wonderful hours in the members stand in later years I have heard all about the stand facilities in those halcyon days, it is such a shame that some contributors here who have been "bitten" by this racing game were born a few years late and unable to experience those days of NZ racing and the atmosphere that accompanied it.  

It is a coincidence that we should join forces all these years later but a good one!!

1 hour ago, Blind Squirrel said:
  • 1986 - Kerry Lane
  • 1985 - Secured Deposit - Neil Hain
  • 1984 - Stylish Dude
  • 1983 - Fountaincourt
  • 1982 - Chimbu -
  • 1981 - Drum

Kerry Lane W.D Skelton, Fountain Court Bob Vance, Chimbu & Drum David.A.Peake........

12 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

I'll try and get the ball rolling with no reference books or google!

surely the best one for a spectacle was Kotare Chief ?? Out on his own by about a furlong and didn't get caught!

31 minutes ago, weasel57 said:

surely the best one for a spectacle was Kotare Chief ?? Out on his own by about a furlong and didn't get caught!

Certainly was Weasel....I was there that day and remember the crowd lifting when he was so far in front...audacious ride and Keith Haub saying " they are not going to get him...what a ride...." a great memory. I had Threepence in that, flew home to get third a mile back.....:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Certainly was Weasel....I was there that day and remember the crowd lifting when he was so far in front...audacious ride and Keith Haub saying " they are not going to get him...what a ride...." a great memory. I had Threepence in that, flew home to get third a mile back.....:rolleyes:

What hacked me off  was having a good bet on him in the lead up race . If you remember Keith Haub's commentary he remarked  Robert Caddigan was almost out of the saddle restraining Kotare Chief,,,,,, then a few days later in Cup totally different tactics and  we know what happened.  Didn't follow  up on the bet  like a dipstick.......

Imagine, a trainer from Nelson, who then moved to Trentham winning an Auckland Cup, and it wasn’t all that long ago!

Then again, it wasn’t that long ago, that the best music in the world was by the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, Neil Diamond too, and I still think it is.

17 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Kotare Chief Jock Caddigan

Amazing ride.. just took off Secretariat style...    I think the commentator said something like.. such a good break he can lay down and have a rest...  :)

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Sure was Tom :) I really liked old Cyril  :)   He was in Nelson before Trentham, moved up and housed the horses at Telford Stables.

I rode work for Cyril - I was a kid then - when we put her on the float north Cyril told me to back her - she paid $48 and my new holden cost $3200 - I drove up Friday and they couldn't pay me out on course - I had to go back on Monday - best day ever

1 hour ago, turny said:

You are correct Liz - trained by the Pfeffers at Trentham - I was there and had $180 a win on it -  3 weeks wages  and purchased a brand new car on the Tuesday after and got change - thankyou PB Smith

Trained by Cyril Pfefferie.

4 minutes ago, turny said:

I rode work for Cyril - I was a kid then - when we put her on the float north Cyril told me to back her - she paid $48 and my new holden cost $3200 - I drove up Friday and they couldn't pay me out on course - I had to go back on Monday - best day ever

Fountaincourt was a gelding. He paid $45.70 and $14.40.