RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
THE KING

Ian Smith...

surely if it were that easy, our National Cricket team would be thriving with the 11 best players out of 2 million men competing on the world stage.

Ian Smith is close to the very best wicket keeper batman we have ever had. He has more natural sporting ability than anyone who has put him down on this thread. If he wants to eat pies and drink piss in his mid to later life and still be able to earn several hundred thousand a year, so be it. If he wants to have a crack at some one whose prime goal in life seems to be the putting down of others, so be it.

"Smith has one of the highest ever strike rates as a batsman for One Day Internationals

surely if it were that easy, our National Cricket team would be thriving with the 11 best players out of 2 million men competing on the world stage.

Ian Smith is close to the very best wicket keeper batman we have ever had. He has more natural sporting ability than anyone who has put him down on this thread. If he wants to eat pies and drink piss in his mid to later life and still be able to earn several hundred thousand a year, so be it. If he wants to have a crack at some one whose prime goal in life seems to be the putting down of others, so be it.

"Smith has one of the highest ever strike rates as a batsman for One Day Internationals

Well you have got one thing wrong there, he was no way close to our best ever wicket keeper batsman.

I was at Eden Park when he played that innings you are talking about, but Ken Wadsworth would have lapped him.

No one doubts Smithy was a great all rounder and keeper. The debate is whether he's correct in saying a five day Ashes test was as demanding as an All Black or Kiwi test.

I suppose the criteria you use determines which is harder, as I said (and upset him saying so) staying awake is hard to do for five days, then again if you use bruises and physical damage surely rugby is more demanding.

I guess you could argue that being a jockey is more demanding than both actually given that not too many cricketers or rugby players lay down their lves for their chosen sport, but, if you said that, you'd be described as a raving lunatic, especially by Smithy who just happens to be a jockey bagger.

It depends what kind of involvement you have as a player over those 5 days.

If you're an opening bat who gets a pair and then stands at 1st slip whilst in the field then you're not going to be that tired.

If, however, you're a fast/medium bowler and the opposition have batted for two days amassing 500-1, and you've bowled close to 50 overs in two days then you're going to be feeling it bigtime.

The same goes for wicketkeepers.

You don't (often) see fat bowlers and keepers but batsman that field in the slips are, and always have been, the biggest freeloaders God ever shovelled guts into.

And you can leave jockeys out of this...no cricketers, to the best of my knowledge, have been thrown out of the game for using 'P'.

People often forget that Smith is like he is, attitude wise, due to a couple of near-death experiences he's suffered over the years.

In his book he talked about being on the inter-island ferry 'The Wahine' when it sunk entering Wellington in April of 1968, and how he was found washed up ashore.

Then in 1981 whilst walking to Eden Park to watch the 3rd AB's/Springboks Test, he was hit in the head by a rock thrown from a anti-tour demonstrator and was on a life-support system for days as he drifted in and out of a coma.

The book is a very good read if you ever get your hands on it.

It depends what kind of involvement you have as a player over those 5 days.

If you're an opening bat who gets a pair and then stands at 1st slip whilst in the field then you're not going to be that tired.

If, however, you're a fast/medium bowler and the opposition have batted for two days amassing 500-1, and you've bowled close to 50 overs in two days then you're going to be feeling it bigtime.

The same goes for wicketkeepers.

You don't (often) see fat bowlers and keepers but batsman that field in the slips are, and always have been, the biggest freeloaders God ever shovelled guts into.

And you can leave jockeys out of this...no cricketers, to the best of my knowledge, have been thrown out of the game for using 'P'.

.....you are so perceptive.

Now this may upset Gastro and the odd whinger but I think I was Ian Smith's opposing w-keeper in his first 1st Class game...doubt if KMurdoch could manage that.

And there has been a few hard-case cricketers over the years , among the Angels!!

As for the Wahine , they could have had a good pick-up game on the deck as the Otago University Xl was on board too and they had several first-class players in side.

How's Welly cricket these days....keeping you busy on talent spotting and litigation??

How's Welly cricket these days....keeping you busy on talent spotting and litigation??

Wgtn cricket has been a mess for decades..though I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Crap early season weather and poor wickets means that the team starts off every season on the back foot.

This season is no different....injuries, suspensions, unhelpful attitudes towards local media (Jesse) results in more than enough work for an honest lawyer like myself.

And to top it all off they have 5 selectors picking the Wgtn team...all quite bizarre!

The days of Edgar, Chats, Gray, McSweeney, Ormiston, Vance all seems like a lifetime away now...thank God I keep myself busy by defending battlers like 'the Kerrigan's'.

Yeah rugby players are so much harder, they play a whole 80 minutes and whinge when they have to play sunday-thursday/friday games because they can't recover in time.

I dont know how many of you have been in the field for 2 days straight, bowling 20 overs each day. But its a damn sight harder on a body than running around a rugby field for 80 mins, with a 10 minute break.

Yeah rugby players are so much harder, they play a whole 80 minutes and whinge when they have to play sunday-thursday/friday games because they can't recover in time.

I dont know how many of you have been in the field for 2 days straight, bowling 20 overs each day. But its a damn sight harder on a body than running around a rugby field for 80 mins, with a 10 minute break.

Depends how hard you play your rugby.

Difference is Silence..

You cant potentially die from standing in the field all day.

Apart from a cricket ball hitting your pads, there are no contact injuries..

The biggest injury is what I like to call 'shopping legs'..

You know, when you go shopping with your mum/wife/gf etc etc, and you're standing around all day and your legs get tired very quickly..

Difference is Silence..

You cant potentially die from standing in the field all day.

Apart from a cricket ball hitting your pads, there are no contact injuries..

You know, when you go shopping with your mum/wife/gf etc etc, and you're standing around all day and your legs get tired very quickly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoQOhCbOkDY&feature=related

Your ability to make 'the next stupid statement even bigger than your last stupid statement' never ceases to amaze me.

Watch this and learn you ignoramus.

...and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChB2nqwfRzA&feature=related

As an aside, I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed watching that washed up, overrated Tigger Woods crumble in his OWN tournament yesterday.

Ho ho ho.....the best ever my rrrrrs!

would have to be the best ever at multiple personalities Chris Taylor. :D

Unfortunately though unlike Tiger Woods who has amassed 14 major trophies they don't offer a prize for your feat. ;):D

I suffer that affliction. Do you know if it's covered by ACC?

haha oh man there some eggheads in this palce and u be the biggest one now.man dude i got a excuse whats yours?

cricketres have to be the most lazy people u call that sport standing in sun all day when everyone else drinks beer at beach u so bloody geeky got no friends so play cricket.

standing for 5 days is hard?Hahaha.league and union boys eat cricketres for breakfast dude

Typify the meat-head, one eyed rugby follower why don't you. Can't spell, can't even form a sentence.

If you think cricket is soft I suggest you come down to our cricket practise and face our prem bowlers for 10 mins. You wouldn't last 10 balls.

I love the lazy part, are you a complete idiot? Or have just not played the game? I didn't say standing in the field for 5 days is "hard", but playing a 5 day test match where you can field for 2 days in a row is a lot more demanding on a body than running around for 80 minutes.

But you keep to your rugby and league matey, they are dying sports because of people like you.