RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Mrs Cubes just backs the South Islanders

Mrs Cubes isn't a great studier of form or breeding or somesuch

She just plonks her 5 each way on whatever is South Island trained or bred or has a South Island jockey

As an Otago lass , she is parochial to the max

And it goes without saying she often has a greater return than the Cubemeister......

3 minutes ago, Cubes said:

She just plonks her 5 each way on whatever is South Island trained or bred or has a South Island jockey

And it goes without saying she often has a greater return than the Cubemeister......

You cannot possibly beat logic Cubes.  I have a mate who reckons an old Scotchman told him to back any horse that has 2 and 4 in it's last two starts and he also regularly takes 2 and 4 in quinellas($20 or $50 jobs not $1 quinellas).  He picks up a bloody lot of them I tell ya.  Right until I get in on the act then the theory goes sour.

Sounds like my wife,  can remember laughing at her  theory of combining similar themed  names , until  she quinelled  Walt's Task and Minnie's Magic, and  it paid over $ 200.  First date we had  was at the races and she used combination of numbers like 1 and 13 and linking names as above. You wouldn't believe it I was backing on the nose and eight races in a row she won and I got second.   Finally in frustration, I   sneaked in behind and heard what she took,  so backed that.   Well the ******* ran second and I said to her well your number combinations didn't work for once, she said oh yes it did, I went back later and backed 13 and won again.

2 hours ago, Cubes said:

Mrs Cubes (who is definitely the brains in the relationship having met her) will be in for a tough time at the Otago gallops on Saturday - a few horses fit her selection criteria...;) 

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Mrs Cubes (who is definitely the brains in the relationship having met her) will be in for a tough time at the Otago gallops on Saturday - a few horses fit her selection criteria...;) 

We think Mrs Cubinator was looking @ the fields for the secondary meeting up North on Saturday....

Some of those winners, are harder to pick than a broken nose, having been involved in a weekly bet syndicate for a while, they no studying of the form, females have had the highest returns over the last year or two, where i the avid studying male, till im just about cross eyed have been average to say the least, to those heading to otago on Saturday, good luck, there are some nice fields and stakes on offer.Won't be there, but will be watching on with great interest.

Mrs Cubes is obviously a canny punter and doesn't get mixed in up or influenced by semantics. Looking back when I was a teenager earning 10 pounds a week I made a lot more money punting when I bought the Best Bets every Tuesday and made my own decisions than I ever have knowing more people in the industry.

21 hours ago, Cubes said:

We think Mrs Cubinator was looking @ the fields for the secondary meeting up North on Saturday....

With her penchant for things SI, suggest Mrs Cubes has a close look at the breeding of Civil Disobedience in the Derby......;)

11 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Tell the long suffering Mrs Cubes that the wise one thinks it'd be Ruud Not Too show some Heoric Valour and have her life savings on Felaar who will today show his outstanding Excelleration and win by panels.

The aftermatch will be at HQ, get on a plane.

TAB have lengthened Felaar price out to $2.40 until 9.30 this morning.....get on......

and those SI oysters sound inviting too Leo......;)

31 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Tell the long suffering Mrs Cubes that the wise one thinks it'd be Ruud Not Too show some Heoric Valour and have her life savings on Felaar who will today show his outstanding Excelleration and win by panels.

The aftermatch will be at HQ, get on a plane.

good luck - be nice to win the race you sponsor !

34 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I only sponsored it because I want to make a rambling speech as I present the sponsors prize to my one true love....me....then I get to kiss Kate Gourdie, yum,  and reply to myself with a long rambling speech 

Felaar is a superstar, it’s no secret that I’m the best judge in NZ, and for me to buy a horse out of training is most unusual, but he’s a black type quality animal, a genuine Cup horse in the making.

He can run a 34 sectional, he loves Ellerslie, and we’ve ridden him rather extravagantly his last two starts to teach him how to come off the bridle and be a great stayer.

Today’s the day though, it’s job on, that field is rather weak, and our big boy will do awful things to that motley lot.

Good luck.

Very short though !

Can he run past Blue Breeze ?

Aah, the owners optimism creed lives on, as it rightfully should.

I am embarrassingly reminded of one I owned in the early 2000s.

I bought a 4YO well bred mare privately from a well known Hunter Valley stud. She had previously been purchased at the Sydney Classic sale for good money by Gai and according to the stud man that I was dealing with, had shown the stable plenty, but suffered a number of irritating niggly ongoing leg problems and needed time.

Back then I was in a position to take a punt and buy her and she then spent six months in the paddock at Scone. She wasn't cheap but I thought value at the time.

I then had a lovely young lass who worked at one of the local studs do some preparatory work on her, and started to get encouragement as she appeared to be sound and really enjoying her work.

I allowed myself to start dreaming of Group 1 glory and possibly even Royal Ascot, as Choisir had just won the King George and the Hunter Valley was buzzing.

I plotted a first up plunge.

There was a young lady trainer in Tamworth who had a good strike rate from limited numbers so I asked her to take the mare and indicated the race in six weeks that I was keen to start in. It was a non-TAB Saturday meeting at Armidale over 1000 metres.

Armidale regularly had a dozen bookies at their meetings and three or four were happy to take a bet.

We asked a veteran Hunter Valley jock Barry Gattenby to ride her and he travelled from his home at Quirindi up to Tamworth to put her through her paces, and gave us glowing reports of her ability. Barry said she had a great feel and he really liked her acceleration.

I asked him to keep "stum" about the mare and her planned race day debut.

Should we trial her or just keep working her with a stablemate?

We decided no trial. 

The Tamworth paper had the mare at 6-1 on the Friday. 

She was in the second last race so we trailer floated her up (Armidale is about 90 minutes North of Tamworth ) just after lunch.

I was surprised at the amount of attention she had around the stables when we arrived, and the close inspection from the stipes.

I was seriously pumped. This was the start of my rise to the top of the thoroughbred  ownership mountain. I was even tempted to ring Gai and proclaim my new found genius status. It was euphoria equine style. 

The race was worth $3000 with around $1800 to the winner.

I managed to get $100 on her with five bookies at an average 4-6.

I learnt later she had been spruiked around the area for the past two weeks.

She paraded perfectly. She went to the start in magnificent order. Everything was falling into place.

I had that much adrenaline flowing, I was actually shaking with excitement.

There were 8 in the race. She drew 3 and when the starter said go Barry pushed the button, as instructed and went straight to the front.

My memory is a little clouded from that point. I know she led for about 600 metres but the seven others had all passed her by the straight entrance.

By the time she crossed the line in a slow canter I was seriously shaking with grief, not so much for the mare, who had done her best, but for my dreams of Ascot and Randwick and my very empty pockets.

Barry carried her back to the birdcage. His summation was brief.

"She might make a nice broodmare, but one thing's for sure. She doesn't want to be a racehorse."

I can categorically state, it was the longest drive home from the races I can ever remember.

Good luck today P4P.

Anyone involved in ownership deserves a medal.

5 minutes ago, The Diceman Cometh said:

Aah, the owners optimism creed lives on, as it rightfully should.

I am embarrassingly reminded of one I owned in the early 2000s.

I bought a 4YO well bred mare privately from a well known Hunter Valley stud. She had previously been purchased at the Sydney Classic sale for good money by Gai and according to the stud man that I was dealing with, had shown the stable plenty, but suffered a number of irritating niggly ongoing leg problems and needed time.

Back then I was in a position to take a punt and buy her and she then spent six months in the paddock at Scone. She wasn't cheap but I thought value at the time.

I then had a lovely young lass who worked at one of the local studs do some preparatory work on her, and started to get encouragement as she appeared to be sound and really enjoying her work.

I allowed myself to start dreaming of Group 1 glory and possibly even Royal Ascot, as Choisir had just won the King George and the Hunter Valley was buzzing.

I plotted a first up plunge.

There was a young lady trainer in Tamworth who had a good strike rate from limited numbers so I asked her to take the mare and indicated the race in six weeks that I was keen to start in. It was a non-TAB Saturday meeting at Armidale over 1000 metres.

Armidale regularly had a dozen bookies at their meetings and three or four were happy to take a bet.

We asked a veteran Hunter Valley jock Barry Gattenby to ride her and he travelled from his home at Quirindi up to Tamworth to put her through her paces, and gave us glowing reports of her ability. Barry said she had a great feel and he really liked her acceleration.

I asked him to keep "stum" about the mare and her planned race day debut.

Should we trial her or just keep working her with a stablemate?

We decided no trial. 

The Tamworth paper had the mare at 6-1 on the Friday. 

She was in the second last race so we trailer floated her up (Armidale is about 90 minutes North of Tamworth ) just after lunch.

I was surprised at the amount of attention she had around the stables when we arrived, and the close inspection from the stipes.

I was seriously pumped. This was the start of my rise to the top of the thoroughbred  ownership mountain. I was even tempted to ring Gai and proclaim my new found genius status. It was euphoria equine style. 

The race was worth $3000 with around $1800 to the winner.

I managed to get $100 on her with five bookies at an average 4-6.

I learnt later she had been spruiked around the area for the past two weeks.

She paraded perfectly. She went to the start in magnificent order. Everything was falling into place.

I had that much adrenaline flowing, I was actually shaking with excitement.

There were 8 in the race. She drew 3 and when the starter said go Barry pushed the button, as instructed and went straight to the front.

My memory is a little clouded from that point. I know she led for about 600 metres but the seven others had all passed her by the straight entrance.

By the time she crossed the line in a slow canter I was seriously shaking with grief, not so much for the mare, who had done her best, but for my dreams of Ascot and Randwick and my very empty pockets.

Barry carried her back to the birdcage. His summation was brief.

"She might make a nice broodmare, but one thing's for sure. She doesn't want to be a racehorse."

I can categorically state, it was the longest drive home from the races I can ever remember.

Good luck today P4P.

Anyone involved in ownership deserves a medal.

As we know, no guarantees in this game, sometimes the best horse doesn't win, luck in the running the key.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:49 AM, Cubes said:

My missus just picks a colour for the day from the jockeys caps in the 1st and sticks with it, she often has a good laugh at my results by the end of the day !

11 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Ours can run a 34 sectional, BB hasn’t broken 35 yet.

It'd need to be more than seven lengths in front of us on the turn to beat ours, can’t see that happening in my lifetime.

We nearly went to Sydney for the Chairman’s and Sydney Cup, we decided not to because he’s a bit unfurnished and a year away yet, could you see B.B. being good enough to go to Sydney ?

Congrats. Classy performance!!