RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Idolmite

So when a Sub $1 dividend is made up to $1.....

.....do they take money off the others horses to make up the shortfall?

Phoenix Prince won at Geelong tonight showing 90c the win and 30c the place. Second and third were both showing $10.90. 

$13k in the win pool. About $34k in the place pool. 

Final divvies; $1.00 & $1.00, $1.90, $1.90. 

On the plus side, the horse could be one to watch as it develops. 

My understanding is that if the dividend is going to be less than a certain amount (60 cents?) then the shortfall is taken from the other dividends which is an absolute ripoff.

Because of the huge amount of money on the hot favourite it means a very large deduction in the other dividends.

20 minutes ago, Bruce M said:

My understanding is that if the dividend is going to be less than a certain amount (60 cents?) then the shortfall is taken from the other dividends which is an absolute ripoff.

Because of the huge amount of money on the hot favourite it means a very large deduction in the other dividends.

Yes, that rings a bell. And it'd take a lot of the pool to make 30 cents up to a dollar. 

4 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

Yes, that rings a bell. And it'd take a lot of the pool to make 30 cents up to a dollar. 

Why on earth would someone punt large for a place on a hot favourite on the tote?

Defies any sort of logic!

Punt large to get your money back!!!!

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Why on earth would someone punt large for a place on a hot favourite on the tote?

Can only assume it was an all up? 

If you get a chance, watch the race video. This horse could definitely win at a much higher level than what it beat last night. 

1 hour ago, Idolmite said:

Can only assume it was an all up? 

If you get a chance, watch the race video. This horse could definitely win at a much higher level than what it beat last night. 

Could well be an all up Idolmite!

Personally can never fathom why any punter looking to make money runs very short favourites through multi’s or allups!

To me backing short priced favourites is not worth the risk for return but obviously the TAB loves it and that is where the TAB makes their money by mug punters not punting wisely!

I know I will get the Brodster knockers on, but just telling it the way I see it!

2 hours ago, LongOwner said:

There should not be a guarantee of $1.00 div - if a horse is paying $0.50 so be it - if the punter is mad enough to gamble on a horse paying less than a $1 well so be it .

The successful punter should not loose a true price by subsidising another runners divvy .

Especially from $10.90 down to $1.90. I thought it used to be topped up to $1 but only to a certain point. Like if it was so red hot to be paying 30 cents then it paid 30 cents. But my memory sure ain't what it once was. 

16 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

Especially from $10.90 down to $1.90. I thought it used to be topped up to $1 but only to a certain point. Like if it was so red hot to be paying 30 cents then it paid 30 cents. But my memory sure ain't what it once was. 

I am sure that was the case before - crazy to bet on the race unless the hottie is unplaced

So many more flat out $1.00 dividends win and place .

The demise of the 5c piece has been a godsend for the TAB and will probably save them from going broke !

Isn't some of the big place bets on a less than $1 dividend go towards to big punter rebates ?

Plus laundering $5k or $6k on a $0.60c job gets one a clean $5k or $6k doesn't it.

On 2/25/2018 at 0:29 PM, Brodie said:

Rebate back on tote is higher than fixed odds.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:27 AM, Kotare_Hunter said:

Do you have a screenshot of the closing prices ?

1 5X1X8 Golden Cullen (1) Daniel Laird 23.50 10.90
2 50123 Rolamax (2) Scratched SCR SCR
3 11X Phoenix Prince (2) Russell Maisner 0.90 0.30
4 5867X Cavallo Volante (3) Joshua Smyth 110.00 45.90
5 23767 Sweet Kisses (4) Srecko Stupin 32.00 10.90
6 33169 Priddy Easy (5) Steve Austen 39.20 19.10
7 0516X Em Jay Fortyseven (6) Amy Crossland 25.20 14.50
8 13480 Chariot Lady (21) Jason Camilleri 67.90 31.80
9 60760 Impressive Guy (U1) Scratched SCR SCR

Win pool: $13,314
Place pool: $34,062

1 hour ago, MisterEd said:

Rebate back on tote is higher than fixed odds.

Seriously, people punt large amounts on the tote just to get rebates??

Defies logic as there are no such thing as certainties.