RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Iraklis

Its Here At Last MMile Time

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mile racing is terrible!

Yes prefer to watch a longer race myself as it gives a horse time to get into the race. However mile racing is what improvement in the harness breeding is judged by and hence makes stallions and broodmares a lot more valuable if they have a fast MR. 

As a comparison can you name the mens 10,000 meter, 1500 meter or 800 meter champions but everybody knows the fastest man in the world and that is over 100 meters. He is also far more marketable and much more wealthy. 

Mile racing is here to stay and will probably get more common in NZ as well ie The Jewels. Embrace it or there might not be much to bet on in the future. 

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Every man to his own Brods.  I personally find it exciting seeing harness horses running  flat out. And 1-46.9 is flat out. And that Trotter at 1-51.5 was flat out, mindboggling for a trotter down under.

Even if Laz was at his best ,that was a bridge to far at that pace off that draw. I actually prefer it to the cat and mouse shit we play at here.

JMHO

Fair enough Globe, we both entitled to our opinion.

From a punting perspective it is less than average.

Any horse can run a mile so prefer the longer distances so you can sort them out better.

Not sure but miles are probably harder on horses than longer distances as they are going faster rate?

3 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Maybe Laz should not have started last night? Not a good look for punters really, 

Will have been vetted at least once but just goes to show how tough viral infections are to get on top of. As for the punters well all the info was out there that he was not 100%. For example his previous race.

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mile racing is terrible!

Anything can win on the day!

Menangle mile racing is not consistent and it is just a lottery, with no consistency as to how the horses are driven as it is generally just handlebars down.

Not sure why the U.S. still race over a mile as it is past it’s used by date

If as you say  its generally handlebars down at Menangle surely that's consistent driving???????;)

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Not sure but miles are probably harder on horses than longer distances as they are going faster rate?

I doubt it. The Little Brown Jug is over a mile with heats and final on the same day, at around the same pace as you saw last night. And they aren't aged pacers , they are youngsters.

They are a tough breed ,and my son in law will attest to that. The Cambridge (gallops)track has a pool and trotters can use it as well. The snobby bastards get annoyed when they have to wait for the Harness horse because he just keeps on swimming and swimming. Not like the weak legged gallopers. Funny as.

Hey GlobeD, some years ago went down to Puke workouts and I had a mate who's horse was in the workouts that day, when he and the horse came out and they went for a warm up the thoroughbred guy I was with turned to me and said 'is that his fast work for the day' shouldve seen his face when I told him that was just horses warm up before his workout, he turned to me and said 'geezuz yuh jokin bloody galloper be done for the day' he watched the workouts and said 'well I be lookin at standardbreds differently from now on' I had to laugh....

Cheers Iraklis

23 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mile racing is terrible!

Anything can win on the day!

Menangle mile racing is not consistent and it is just a lottery, with no consistency as to how the horses are driven as it is generally just handlebars down.

Not sure why the U.S. still race over a mile as it is past it’s used by date

What wou"d be terrible is if ALL racing was mile racing. Or two mile racing. Variety is the spice of life....

1 hour ago, Value Bell said:

Tasman Man 11, Was Joe Brown his father.

Hi Value Bell,

Yes, Joe was Syds' father, and Syd trained his standardbreds, at Lucky Son Lodge at Wingatui. I think Paul Richards trained from there before going north.

Cheers.

Robert.

11 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Value Bell,

Yes, Joe was Syds' father, and Syd trained his standardbreds, at Lucky Son Lodge at Wingatui. I think Paul Richards trained from there before going north.

Cheers.

Robert.

No......Syds father was Jim Brown who owned Lucky Son and trained many gallopers.

Joe who owned and ran Miss NZ and Eddie Low ,John Hore etc owned and trained Reformed winner of Wellington Cup and possibly 3rd in Melbourne Cup.

Jim and Syd owned a furniture store in Mosgiel and ran the Food cart at Forbury trots.

Syd was a handy Rugby winger and played some games for Otago.

5 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

No......Syds father was Jim Brown who owned Lucky Son and trained many gallopers.

Joe who owned and ran Miss NZ and Eddie Low ,John Hore etc owned and trained Reformed winner of Wellington Cup and possibly 3rd in Melbourne Cup.

Jim and Syd owned a furniture store in Mosgiel and ran the Food cart at Forbury trots.

Syd was a handy Rugby winger and played some games for Otago.

Sorry, stand corrected. Senior moment!!  Syd also did rugby coaching for the University Club in Dunedin.

I think Jim transferred the training of Lucky Sun to jockey Bill Skelton for the Auckland Cup, in which won in 1965.

Cheers.

Robert.

Guest Hunterthenutter
2 hours ago, Lee270744 said:

Have Faith in Me and Adore Me hated them and could have mentioned it to him.

why did he not like the retention barn lee??