RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Buy Air NZ shares

This is probably a minor example in terms of NZRB excesses but.........

I tune in today to Riccarton  and surpirised to find Marc Cookson presenting.  Then Jason Teaz doing the commentating.   Both very professional and both doing a nice job but........

Resident in  Christchurch are Matthew Cross, Greg O 'Connor and the Fahey girl all of whom have proven themselves able presenters on TS.  Now Mark McNamara had Addington tonight  so maybe did not want two meetings in one day ( though he has handled it before) but Matt Cross is a real talent in the commentary position so why not make use of him? Presumably he did the First Call in Auckland  this morning but for f*#ks sake is there nobody else in the North capable of dealing with it as a one off? And when it comes down to it could Mark not have dealt with a couple of Riccarton races while Matt got back? Matt is now doing comments at Auckland tonight - are Guerin and Thompson both crook?

So we have Cookson flying Auckland Christchurch return, Teaz either Dunedin Christchurch or Hamilton Christchurch return, Cross Christchurch Auckland return and Guerin, Thompson and O'Connor redundant for the day? All or most no doubt paid an allowance (as government agencies are want to do) for being away overnight.

What a way to see the world!

Incidentally it is notable how few opportunities Matt Cross is getting in the gallops now.  That is a fair bit of talent being ignored.

10 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

This is probably a minor example in terms of NZRB excesses but.........

I tune in today to Riccarton  and surpirised to find Marc Cookson presenting.  Then Jason Teaz doing the commentating.   Both very professional and both doing a nice job but........

Resident in  Christchurch are Matthew Cross, Greg O 'Connor and the Fahey girl all of whom have proven themselves able presenters on TS.  Now Mark McNamara had Addington tonight  so maybe did not want two meetings in one day ( though he has handled it before) but Matt Cross is a real talent in the commentary position so why not make use of him? Presumably he did the First Call in Auckland  this morning but for f*#ks sake is there nobody else in the North capable of dealing with it as a one off? And when it comes down to it could Mark not have dealt with a couple of Riccarton races while Matt got back? Matt is now doing comments at Auckland tonight - are Guerin and Thompson both crook?

So we have Cookson flying Auckland Christchurch return, Teaz either Dunedin Christchurch or Hamilton Christchurch return, Cross Christchurch Auckland return and Guerin, Thompson and O'Connor redundant for the day? All or most no doubt paid an allowance (as government agencies are want to do) for being away overnight.

What a way to see the world!

Incidentally it is notable how few opportunities Matt Cross is getting in the gallops now.  That is a fair bit of talent being ignored.

all good points Tom. When a culture of excess exists at the top - it tends to trickle down ;-)

The same happens with the RIU.They send Stewards to different areas to work,eg Oathan to Timura, Davidson to Pukekohe etc etc.

When the inspired leader M Godber was questioned on this waste, his lame justification was that he would like the stewards to be familiar with other areas.

Well my reply to that would be , Would you see Victorian Stewards going to Sydney, Queensland Stewards to Perth etc etc, no you don,t not even days like the Melbourne Cup

If they had to pay for their own travel, like Jason Teaz has to, then i believe you would see this wastage cease and rightfully so. 

I am not having a go at the individuals concerned here.  It is the system.  Jason has made it clear in the past he pays his own airfares and I know these guys love the game and would go anywhere.  It is the people who do the scheduling who are the issue - clearly they don't give a stuff how they spend industry money.

Mind you I suppose better value for money in yesterday's performance than  in carting a plane load of NZ racing administrators to Hong Kong or Dubai on a junket.