RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Cubes gets asked what is wrong with NZ Racing

Happened twice last week for the Cubemeister

Once by the neighbours at the annual neighbourhood watch BBQ and once by the new Minister of Finance

Depth breath...same answer given to both

When you have to explain in a sentence or two to an outsider from the industry..... there is no point ranting or raving about nomination fees or about holiday surcharges for transport or somesuch

The answer Cubity gave after short reflection  is Head Office costs

The real core , root of the problem is Head Office costs

NZRB sucks money from the industry and does not give enough in return

If the Cubinator had a blank bit of paper we would never devise the current system

10 minutes ago, Cubes said:

Happened twice last week for the Cubemeister

Once by the neighbours at the annual neighbourhood watch BBQ and once by the new Minister of Finance

Depth breath...same answer given to both

When you have to explain in a sentence or two to an outsider from the industry..... there is no point ranting or raving about nomination fees or about holiday surcharges for transport or somesuch

The answer Cubity gave after short reflection  is Head Office costs

The real core , root of the problem is Head Office costs

NZRB sucks money from the industry and does not give enough in return

If the Cubinator had a blank bit of paper we would never devise the current system

I'd say lack of accountability to the industry of the various Boards.  They don't give a shit about the industry participants.  The Finance Minister could start by giving Glenda the DCM

Why didn't you just point them in the direction of Bernard Saundry for the answer?? He's been in Office long enough now to have acted in a responsible manner and should be ready to either present a Blueprint for the way forward or alternatively, can announce that it's all too hard. Either way, he would earn respect !

8 hours ago, Trump said:

Why didn't you just point them in the direction of Bernard Saundry for the answer?? He's been in Office long enough now to have acted in a responsible manner and should be ready to either present a Blueprint for the way forward or alternatively, can announce that it's all too hard. Either way, he would earn respect !

We haven't heard a word from Saundry since he got here Trumpy so don't hold your breath that he will suddenly burst into life and magically produce the formula to cure all ills...all they have done so far is hide the figures we used to see....same old, same old....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

You can isolate any event to emphasize your agenda, but I’d argue that the excess of NZTR and their travel is far more wasteful.

For example Strickland to Hong Kong yet again recently when clearly he cannot or will not implement the NZ handicapping model fairly and evenly.

I might also add the annual junket to Paris for The Arc....has anyone ever justified that ?

Or the year NZTR took twenty odd ( they invited far more ) to Hong Kong for The Asian Racing Conference, when they invited the RIU etc...that’s wasteful, and arguably corrupt.

How about the domestic travel, the visits to Queenstown, Cromwell etc...,the tribe that goes to The Thorougbred Awards and sleeps over.....there appears to be far more abuse of industry money at NZTR than at the NZRB mate so if you’re going to poke someone make it a balanced critique.

I conclude ( nearly ) by saying that the NZRB is not without fault, for example I personally think the relocation to Parnell was unnecessary and abusive, but for too many in this industry it’s convenient to blame the NZRB when clearly our own code body, NZTR, has failed us miserably.

I find that ignorance is often behind this unilateral sniping, and it’s never seen better than in the senile imbecile leading the 3.5% minority and despised junior coalition party known as NZF, the vituperative Winston Peters who has delivered nothing to this industry, other than some toxic drivel at the yearling sales, the single biggest “non event” of the year to date, and who has promised to strip the NZRB bare and dissect it into virtual oblivion.

Let me tell you this,  if you ignorant and uneducated guys drive this industry toward reformation of the Racing Act you’ll bankrupt yourselves as an industry.

You'll potentially lose your share of all sports revenue, and you’ll almost certainly lose the 500 odd million and 20 million profit derived from pokies because society has no appetite for Racing living off the impoverished and vulnerable members of society.

You’ve been warned.

I think the fact NZTR  & NZRB seem to both  have cultures of excess doesn't invalidate criticising either or both.

I find all the travel examples raised by SMD and yourself in this thread as troubling.

The problem with any organisation such as these (and Govt/Councils etc etc) is they spend what they want as the bottom line result has little impact on the individuals etc working there.. Contrast that with business owners who understand every dollar spent in their business is a dollar less that goes into their pocket - so it needs to be well spent. At the moment I am trying to decide the cost benefit of a trip to an industry conference in Palmerston North (!!!) later this year just to put that in context.

Your point regarding the Racing Act stands alone and is well to be heeded

2 hours ago, chelseacol said:

I think the fact NZTR  & NZRB seem to both  have cultures of excess doesn't invalidate criticising either or both.

I find all the travel examples raised by SMD and yourself in this thread as troubling.

The problem with any organisation such as these (and Govt/Councils etc etc) is they spend what they want as the bottom line result has little impact on the individuals etc working there.. Contrast that with business owners who understand every dollar spent in their business is a dollar less that goes into their pocket - so it needs to be well spent. At the moment I am trying to decide the cost benefit of a trip to an industry conference in Palmerston North (!!!) later this year just to put that in context.

Your point regarding the Racing Act stands alone and is well to be heeded

Well put CC

The most frustrating thing dealing with small business people(as clients) all the time is how government departments, councils and other 'authorities' (and big companies get like it too) have no consideration that everything costs(whether it be in monetary terms or in time terms).  When you are paying the bill yourself you appreciate where the money (or resources) go 

14 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Great reply Col, that sums our industry up to a tee! One of Cambridge’s leading trainers informed me through the week what the RIU was costing the industry....

Any guesses out there?

No idea but would hate to think, Chris.

Speaking of junkets and ill-spent monies - wonder what would happen if someone complained about the governance of racing (body / individuals) to the RIU.  Remember - "I" stands for integrity .....

(PS:  my question was posed rhetorically but nevertheless I think I know the answer ....)

24 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Great reply Col, that sums our industry up to a tee! One of Cambridge’s leading trainers informed me through the week what the RIU was costing the industry....

Any guesses out there?

Gazillions I would say Chris. The figure must be somewhere in a report. 

I do note that from the Class 4 Gaming Distributions, the 2017 report for 2016/17 season stated that $6,033,500.00 went to the RIU.  It was $6,000,000 2015/16.

30 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Can someone just list the useful things NZTR and or Alan Jackson / Saundry ( or their equivalents ) have done since say 2010 please.

You all seem keen to blame the RB ( with some justification ) but surely NZTR is more culpable and accountable.

If Jacko is so bad and you're so good why not take one step forward?

Ive been told you have an incredible capacity for making waves, turning water into wine and leaving virgins pregnant.

Fuck, even King Dick can't do that and believe me Ive tried, many times.

Get your mate Dean on board as your running mate, kick Jacko off if he's so hopeless and do to that Organisation what you did to the Trainer's.

4 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Indeed.   A lot of Hillbillies out west and bogans. :lol:

bogans yes!! hillbillies, well def not my part of west.  and what id give to trade some of the folk ive seen for some peacefull hillbillies