RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Scapolo's order of entry ranking in the Haunui

Someone will know this - how come Scapolo has a 102 rating(only two rated higher) but is the number 12 ranked in order of entry?

Pretty good horse who has earned his rating but if the handicapper says he is a 102 how come the WFA scale says he is the 12th ranked?

I'm not a student of this type of thing so trust someone will enlighten me

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Someone will know this - how come Scapolo has a 102 rating(only two rated higher) but is the number 12 ranked in order of entry?

Pretty good horse who has earned his rating but if the handicapper says he is a 102 how come the WFA scale says he is the 12th ranked?

I'm not a student of this type of thing so trust someone will enlighten me

A good question indeed

1 hour ago, turny said:

0800weguess

If no reply

0800wedontknow

Wedontknow was a bloody awful sire BUT he was dam-sire of the great Drum.

That’s probably useless information, but more likely more useful than anything forthcoming from those in positions of importance these days, such is their deafening silence on all matters of importance. 

1 hour ago, puha said:

You’d have to look at the race conditions but could have to do with not winning a black type in two years ?

Well that cannot be it because Savvy Dreams hasn't won a stakes race in that time and Scapolo has(Sweynesse Stakes at Rotorua).  I thought he whole idea of WFA was to get the best(ie highest rated) horses showing their class at set weights.  He is only two away from the ballot list for God's sake!

7 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Well that cannot be it because Savvy Dreams hasn't won a stakes race in that time and Scapolo has(Sweynesse Stakes at Rotorua).  I thought he whole idea of WFA was to get the best(ie highest rated) horses showing their class at set weights.  He is only two away from the ballot list for God's sake!

Would be good to get the explanation then.

11 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Very good question, hard to see how it can rated below the mare above it who has only just won $100,000 and her last win was in a $11,000 4 horse field rating 75.

That mare finished third in last year's Oaks. Notice the mares that finished 2nd to 4th in the Oaks all rank well and in their Oaks finishing order

edit - ok Nicoletta has moved up past Devise and Savvy Dreams.....probably due to 3rd in Herbie Dyke

53 minutes ago, Tailedoff said:

That mare finished third in last year's Oaks. Notice the mares that finished 2nd to 4th in the Oaks all rank well and in their Oaks finishing order

edit - ok Nicoletta has moved up past Devise and Savvy Dreams.....probably due to 3rd in Herbie Dyke

I know you are only explaining why this 'anomaly' occurs.  But if they are going to be ranked higher because of group one placings why are their ratings not boosted to reflect that?

Or alternately why is Scapolo not dropping like a stone in the ratings because he is running in inferior races and often not managing to win them?  K Myers would be entitled to expect substantial weight relief if this were a handicap(yeah right!).

Makes the handicapper look like an idiot in my opinion(and I know most of Racecafe think he is so lets not get started on that)

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I know you are only explaining why this 'anomaly' occurs.  But if they are going to be ranked higher because of group one placings why are their ratings not boosted to reflect that?

Or alternately why is Scapolo not dropping like a stone in the ratings because he is running in inferior races and often not managing to win them?  K Myers would be entitled to expect substantial weight relief if this were a handicap(yeah right!).

Makes the handicapper look like an idiot in my opinion(and I know most of Racecafe think he is so lets not get started on that)

My guess is the 'Oaks placing' ranking boost only carries for the 4yo period?

This is a very good question!!

As an aside what did we think of the Bonneval trials and is she a good thing on Sat??

1 hour ago, Mattski said:

This is a very good question!!

As an aside what did we think of the Bonneval trials and is she a good thing on Sat??

1600m and drawn 12?  If she does win it(and on class she stands out) then it is a fair effort. 

1 hour ago, Tailedoff said:

My guess is the 'Oaks placing' ranking boost only carries for the 4yo period?

Well that is like saying the Oaks is penalty free.  if you are giving credit for an Oaks placing then they should be giving ratings points for the same.  It is like two methods of handicapping are in operation.