RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Sales Time

On 14/02/2018 at 6:51 PM, Shad said:

Thanks for the feedback, and fair points raised, i guess you just never know on the day. Good luck with your filly one more lap, hope you have ago with her yourself, better than giving her away for a poor price, out of curiosity, what would it cost to get one to the sales.

The Supplementary Sale in Chch had different criteria than the Premier Sale. It was cheaper to enter and you didn't have to nominate the horse for the Sales Series. They are the two differences I have heard about (other than sire or dam not proven as much).

Hi Brodie,

There is a solid contingent of Kidz Kart young harness people coming through, and all bodes well for the future of grassroots harness racing. Last Friday night at Alexandra Park there was 14 horses in their race, and some names closely associated with harness racing, and surprisingly, thoroughbred racing.

As an owner it is hard racing against a dominate stable, but I think right now is the ideal time to be getting a yearling, as the Allstars have clearly decided to cut down on the number of young horses they wish to train. Of course, it does not mean that they may not still get the results with the reduced amount of yearlings, but it does give others a chance to realistically compete,

Cheers.

Robert.

4 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Mark and Nat seem to be getting new owners.

4 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Albeit rich Aussies

Just getting ready for when they set up their main base in Aussie I would guess. Be nice to have quite a few local owners.

Could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Who were the 2 trainers ?

Yeah right, I am going to name them on here!!!!!!

Remember, “The Brodster” does not tell porkies, as he has absolutely no need to.

It has not only just been at the yearling sales that I have been told that it is so difficult to make a living out of training horses, it is common knowledge, unless you are one of the top trainers.

Have also been told that one of the top trainers also has difficulty nowadays making a decent living out of it.

Why do you think Tim Butt and Mark Jones have moved to OZ???

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Hi Brodie,

There is a solid contingent of Kidz Kart young harness people coming through, and all bodes well for the future of grassroots harness racing. Last Friday night at Alexandra Park there was 14 horses in their race, and some names closely associated with harness racing, and surprisingly, thoroughbred racing.

As an owner it is hard racing against a dominate stable, but I think right now is the ideal time to be getting a yearling, as the Allstars have clearly decided to cut down on the number of young horses they wish to train. Of course, it does not mean that they may not still get the results with the reduced amount of yearlings, but it does give others a chance to realistically compete,

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Robert.

Yes Kidz Karts would undeniably be the best thing that has been brought in to get young ones into harness racing.

The kids just love it and yes there are many that will be employed in stables when they are old enough.

How many will be successful and able to make a living out of it is the big question.

As we know many of our juniors are now in Oz like Sean Grsyling, Michael Blakemore, jack trainer etc. and yet we only once in a blue moon do they come from Oz and that is only for experience and then generally go back!

18 hours ago, Brodie said:

Hi Robert.

Yes Kidz Karts would undeniably be the best thing that has been brought in to get young ones into harness racing.

The kids just love it and yes there are many that will be employed in stables when they are old enough.

How many will be successful and able to make a living out of it is the big question.

As we know many of our juniors are now in Oz like Sean Grsyling, Michael Blakemore, jack trainer etc. and yet we only once in a blue moon do they come from Oz and that is only for experience and then generally go back!

Hi Brodie,

I decided to do a wee project on  a few drivers,  gross driving earnings for last season. Just to give people an idea of what a cross section of drivers can earn.

It is a broad outline, based on $70 a drive plus 5% of stakes. I want to state these are only my workings on the information and formula that I have.

B.Barclay:  $34,148.

T.Williams: $47,699.

C.Thornley: $52,803.

Z.Butcher: $61,265.

S.Ottley: $66,860.

M.Williamson: $84,413.

R.May: $110,767.

B.Orange: $179,474.

D.Dunn: 186,151.

Hope this makes for worthwhile pondering.

Cheers.

Robert.

10 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Brodie,

I decided to do a wee project on  a few drivers,  gross driving earnings for last season. Just to give people an idea of what a cross section of drivers can earn.

It is a broad outline, based on $70 a drive plus 5% of stakes. I want to state these are only my workings on the information and formula that I have.

Cheers.

Robert.

Thanks Robert, it is interesting, and you always contribute well.

Plus some would get income from working in the stables!

I would imagine there would be some quite high costs as well, e.g. travel costs.

3 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Brodie,

Cheers.

Robert.

Thanks Robert an interesting list. i guess you could add tax-free slings to their earning too?

3 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

Mark Johnson going to Perth

Not sure how many new juniors are com8ng thru in the North Island?

Juniors could be stuffed up there!

When u get 5 noms in the juniors on Wed not hard to understand why.some trainers have them for slave labour.soon or later if there is an accident and osh gets involved and enquires into hours pay etc we will have a nightmare on our hands.hrnz should be taking a lead and have a protocol for hours wages conditions I c serious shit ahead.i know a couple of recent payouts to industry participants . 21st century labour laws.it could send training fees up if shit happens.

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

When u get 5 noms in the juniors on Wed not hard to understand why.some trainers have them for slave labour.soon or later if there is an accident and osh gets involved and enquires into hours pay etc we will have a nightmare on our hands.hrnz should be taking a lead and have a protocol for hours wages conditions I c serious shit ahead.i know a couple of recent payouts to industry participants . 21st century labour laws.it could send training fees up if shit happens.

Totally agree Tim, it is slave Labour for the hours that the young ones work!

You have to be committed

Many trainers hourly rates for all the training g and travelling involved would be poor as well

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Totally agree Tim, it is slave Labour for the hours that the young ones work!

You have to be committed

Many trainers hourly rates for all the training g and travelling involved would be poor as well

But what about the owner  and breeder of these horses, they have paid a lot of bills to get a horse to the races and the stakes hardly make you want to carry on,  For sale to over the ditch is the way to go, we will end up as an export sport at this rate. Unless you get a good one which you have to be very lucky, why bother, you never even come close to breaking even. Last horse I raced won five and we spent over 60000 in accounts and won 36000, get the picture, why would you do it. A lot have been through worse than that, call it dedication, but that has now gone out the window, time to get out of this game I feel, it is just to hard. I have two well bred foals which will owe me a lot of money before they hit the track, FOR SALE