RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Sales Time

Wonder how these sales will go this year. TB sales on both sides of the Tasman have been outstanding thus far so it will be of interest to see if SB's go the same way. Economy is performing well and racing has a proactive minister but sales will always tell you about both the quality of product and the underlying sentiment of the industry.

34 minutes ago, beef said:

Many vendors appear to be looking for a rope. As for your proactive minister, he’ll do S F A for the industry.

Not quite that bad beef but it's not flash.

Might be better down South.

As for Winnie he's always going to be far more interested and active  than his predecessor. They contributed  to his cause. Was he invited to open sales like the TB code.  If not that's a poor call by industry leaders IMHO

25 minutes ago, tim vince said:

a lot didn't reach service fee never mind the cost of keeping them etc. I bought 2 bettors delight 10 and 9 . service fee more than that- the problem is most trainers don't have owners.it was really ugly.

I thought the same after seeing passing rate but as i said in opening the thread it was always going to reflect the quality of the product and sentiment within the industry. BD was quoted at 25K last time i inquired so you got unders for the 2 you purchased:D

Guest Hunterthenutter

sale looked to be a flop not lot of people there to and not much aus buying power

Guest Hunterthenutter

lot aussie buyers think its better to buy going horses now days and there owners have a race horse straight away

As I have stated owners are getting the stitch with racing horses with the only prospect of losing money.

This is due to the fact that they have bugger all chance of winning decent stakes nowadays due to a stable dominance.It will come home to roost.

You would think that the Karaka sale would be better than the S.I. Because of the bigger stakes in Auckland but I beleive their is a lot more owners in the South Island, but owners are not prepared to continue to throw big money out for yearlings in the hope that they can possibly buy one that is going to be semi competitive in the group races.

When one stable wins every big race in the country for season after season of course this is going to happen!

Breeders will also get the stitch as well if they are not going to at least break even, and the stud fees need to drop as they are far too high in a lot of cases!

I wonder where all the good 2yo's will come from next year?

At Karaka today All Stars splashed out 30% of all the money spent on 16 colts and 1 filly. They certainly got the cream of the crop, outspending Barry Purdon, Cran Dalgety, Robert Dunn, Mark Jones, Ken Barron, Lincoln Farms, Tony Herlihy and our own illustrious Tim Vince combined!

Only one filly though, so there may be a window of opportunity there!

55 minutes ago, Double R said:

Interestingly to read on the Allstars website, not all yearlings purchased by their clients will be trained by them.

Cheers.

Robert.

Indeed, the thing about sales is that everyone gets their chance to buy what they want. Some on here get too wound up about All Stars fire power but its factual that  they purchase at all levels of the market and thus all other  buyers have the same opportunity.

Guest Hunterthenutter
28 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

Indeed, the thing about sales is that everyone gets their chance to buy what they want. Some on here get too wound up about All Stars fire power but its factual that  they purchase at all levels of the market and thus all other  buyers have the same opportunity.

not all high priced yearlings are good a jewels winner last year cost its owner only 19 grand and not trained by the allstars

18 minutes ago, Hunterthepunter said:

not all high priced yearlings are good a jewels winner last year cost its owner only 19 grand and not trained by the allstars

My point exactly.

Further. its up to others to improve their performances in terms of:marketing ,yearling selection , training methods, driving skills etc and not the AS to drop theirs. That's why they are the best in the business at the moment IMHO.

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

As I have stated owners are getting the stitch with racing horses with the only prospect of losing money.

This is due to the fact that they have bugger all chance of winning decent stakes nowadays due to a stable dominance.It will come home to roost.

You would think that the Karaka sale would be better than the S.I. Because of the bigger stakes in Auckland but I beleive their is a lot more owners in the South Island, but owners are not prepared to continue to throw big money out for yearlings in the hope that they can possibly buy one that is going to be semi competitive in the group races.

When one stable wins every big race in the country for season after season of course this is going to happen!

Breeders will also get the stitch as well if they are not going to at least break even, and the stud fees need to drop as they are far too high in a lot of cases!

You must feel your argument is poor when you have to introduce nonsense like that.

Just been to the SI sales complex if you can call it that to catch up with a few friends. In no particular order, vendors have very gloomy outlook for the sale.to come after Auckland results. Quite a few have severe reservations about the sales companies ability to run a successful sale with a number wishing someone new would enter market.. As one said to me they have done next to nothing for vendors or the sale itself in 35 years, another asked why no internet bidding which is the norm and very popular these days in TB sales. I cant tell you the reply.:rolleyes:

265 lots to go tomorrow less withdrawals, going to be a very busy day for the stock agents!! Apologies to Steve:D

4 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

You must feel your argument is poor when you have to introduce nonsense like that.

Kotare, what nonsense are you on about?

They win most of  the group races for pacers don’t they, unless you know differently?

58 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

2017  Raukapuka Ruler

2016  Field Marshall

2015  Mossdale Connor

2014  Tiger Tara

2013  Venus Serena

2012  Cheer The Lady

2011  Carabella

2010  Tintin In America

Need I go on BrodBuddy ?

Kotare, what the heck have you been smoking???

Clowns like you aren’t worth debating with!!!!!!

19 hours ago, Brodie said:

Brodie,

You said 'every' so the point is being made that it is not 'every.' Your words have been taken out of the obvious context that you delivered them with as anybody would know it is not 'every' It is only done to needle you.

That context being the All Stars win so 'many' group races that it is difficult to justify big outlays of money for the chance to run into the Blue Army. That is not the Blue Army's fault and it is the challenge to many trainers to up their game for sure but shelling out large amounts of money for the unattractive prospect of meeting 6 Purdon horses in the Jewels in the present climate we have at the moment is not appealing for the second tier of buyers with enough money to buy very good yearlings. 

You are quite correct in saying it is not worth debating because you can't debate it when you get calculated responses like that, let alone win. You will only get brodnonsense or bordie thrown back at you. When in fact, this could one of the most interesting debates on here. The point was made that nothing was done for vendors or the sale in 35 years. Now, I wouldn't know if that was right or not, but the very fact that is being bandied about is frightening. 35 years ago is about 1 million years ago with all the technological advances that have been made.

What can be done? Who is has ultimate control of the sales? Is there a long-term contract with the runners of the sale? Are they up with modern methods of bidding? Is Winston interested in Harness Racing? What would happen in a year or two if the economy was hit by a recession especially if sales this year turn out to be a flop in good economic conditions? What effect will poor sales have on Auckland's big new plans? will Auckland have horses in 2 or 3 years time? Will it force more trainers over to Australia?

People on here know more than me so will be watching for answers.