RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
weasel57

Kawi v Start Wondering

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but prior to todays race SW was unbeaten at Te Rapa and Kawi hadn't won there.

Why nearly everyone thinks Kawi is unbeatable is beyond me... a fine horse and a great list of Gp 1s etc etc but Winx he ain't. No doubt Riddell will be slated for missing the jump on him but Kawi is a known rogue at the start and his own worst enemy. The words of Allan Sharrock quoted in the papers last week ring in my ears: "his opponents are in deep, deep trouble". When will AS learn to 'zip it' over Kawi's chances in a race?

mebbe George was working on a hunch that the going was better out there and he had either hit the lead or would hit the lead by the time he'd gone thru the rest of the contenders...

Well done to connections of SW ..an under-rated and extremely honest sprinter who is building a very impressive record for the Rayners et al

1 hour ago, jess said:

Yes Blue I don't know what George's angle is up there and the field was across teh track a bit at that stage but he never looked in front (or particularly close) to me at any stage ...  

Perhaps George thought Kawi was now in the Logan/Gibbs stable!

1 hour ago, weasel57 said:

mebbe George was working on a hunch that the going was better out there and he had either hit the lead or would hit the lead by the time he'd gone thru the rest of the contenders...

Well done to connections of SW ..an under-rated and extremely honest sprinter who is building a very impressive record for the Rayners et al

Quite noticeable that wide out was no better than the inside--seemed to be a bit of a faster lane about a third to half way out from the running rail.IMO

3 hours ago, weasel57 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but prior to todays race SW was unbeaten at Te Rapa and Kawi hadn't won there.

Why nearly everyone thinks Kawi is unbeatable is beyond me... a fine horse and a great list of Gp 1s etc etc but Winx he ain't. No doubt Riddell will be slated for missing the jump on him but Kawi is a known rogue at the start and his own worst enemy. The words of Allan Sharrock quoted in the papers last week ring in my ears: "his opponents are in deep, deep trouble". When will AS learn to 'zip it' over Kawi's chances in a race?

Don't let it worry you, and remember believe all of what you see, and only half of what you hear.

But Kawi had been headlined by Mike Dillon in this morning's NZ Herald.  Volpe Veloce is the only horse in the past two years to carry Mike Dillon's headline and win.  That was the Railway H'cap/Stakes.

The newsprint those spurious headlines are printed on must weigh a tonne.

You have to feel for Johnathan Riddell, when asked about Kawi after winning on Dijon Bleu it sounded like he though he already had the race won. Said he'd ride it like the best horse in the race and would simply win, well he got it half right! He sounded like a bit of a smartass to be honest and was almost glad when he didn't even feature.

59 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

You have to feel for Johnathan Riddell, when asked about Kawi after winning on Dijon Bleu it sounded like he though he already had the race won. Said he'd ride it like the best horse in the race and would simply win, well he got it half right! He sounded like a bit of a smartass to be honest and was almost glad when he didn't even feature.

Maybe been spending too much time wth the trainer?  :blink:

Nothing wrong with having faith in a horse.   I think considering the way Kawi jumped and the way he ran on in that slow track, he did good, he was making ground on them in the last 50m .. he's got a lot of heart that horse and he just runs the best he can, always, despite what anyone says about him, and I will never knock him for that, in fact I think he's a beaut horse.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Nothing wrong with having faith in a horse.   I think considering the way Kawi jumped and the way he ran on in that slow track, he did good, he was making ground on them in the last 50m .. he's got a lot of heart that horse and he just runs the best he can, always, despite what anyone says about him, and I will never knock him for that, in fact I think he's a beaut horse.

Making ground on them in the last 50m    :wacko:

Suggest you take another look. :ph34r:

I have nothing against the horse. only the way he has been constantly talked up by AS ...denied a 'Triple Crown' at Hastings as I recall, and the comments last week about how his opponents In the Dyke Stakes were in "deep, deep trouble" is typical of his approach.  Kawi has found many ways to get himself beaten over the last two years...and it's always someone else's fault according to his trainer

9 hours ago, jess said:

A very good horse indeed. It's my dteam to breed one even half that good!!

Not sure anyone here is knocking the horse ....

Absolutely - he may not be ultra consistent, but I’m sure there isn’t a cafer who wouldn’t give their right hand to own him (and have bred him)...but he’s a Savabeel...and I guess he’s allowed the odd indiscretion...and yesterday, the elephant in the room was the ride...ummmmm.  

25 minutes ago, La Zip said:

Absolutely - he may not be ultra consistent, but I’m sure there isn’t a cafer who wouldn’t give their right hand to own him (and have bred him)...but he’s a Savabeel...and I guess he’s allowed the odd indiscretion...and yesterday, the elephant in the room was the ride...ummmmm.  

What was exactly wrong with the ride?.

The horse is a known rogue starter, Riddell circled at the right time, came to the outside and better part of the track and he just wasn't good enough to make up for losing ground at the start in unsuitable going.

5 starts at Te Rapa for 0 wins, 1 win from 8 starts wet tracks, previous stipes reports are full of slowly away,  hmm he run up to expectations I would have thought.

From my observations over time, AS's conduct has at times lacked grace - as a winner and as a loser.  But we all have different characters and it's up to him how he conducts himself. This is only my opinion and it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Looking at it from the point of view of Trackside/TAB - they will seek him out for an interview every time - and were probably rapt when JKB took the same bullish line when interviewed by Emily Bosson after his win on Dijon Bleu (comments like Kawi was the best horse in the race, he'd ride him like the best horse in the race adn he'd win).  People like AS not only polarise people and get them talking - their audacious, super confident interviews doubtless spark signficant betting activity (far more than the understated types who tell us their horse is very good, and is well but will need luck and anything can happen on the day etc etc). 

And I think we'd be naive to think that Trackside is just an entertainment programme with no other purpose/motivation.  

1 hour ago, barryb said:

What was exactly wrong with the ride?.

The horse is a known rogue starter, Riddell circled at the right time, came to the outside and better part of the track and he just wasn't good enough to make up for losing ground at the start in unsuitable going.

5 starts at Te Rapa for 0 wins, 1 win from 8 starts wet tracks, previous stipes reports are full of slowly away,  hmm he run up to expectations I would have thought.

Wow Barry, missed the kick, not JR's fault, however, is it not the first rule after such event, you catch the field [they were crawling] so not much energy used, and you wait until your horse is balanced, relaxed and you can save as much ground as possible to compensate for losing ground at the start, so in effect, wait until they fan, and then make your choice wait for a split or ease across heels and come down the outer......we asked our jocks to never ever sit wide, especially if you're slow away,.......IMO.......you don't agree, that's your democratic right Barry, good luck to you.

Given he missed the kick (which I think most would agree is more down to the horse than the hoop) - I agree with Zip - it worked out pretty well in that he tacked on quite soon and without having do do any panic-riding as the field wasn't breaking any speed records at the time.  As for the rest - I'd say again the outcome was more down to the horse (and the track?) than any poor riding - albeit I've only seen the race once on TV so may have missed some of the finer points ....

Does anyone know what AS had to say about the ride? - I didn't watch the all the aftermath ....