RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jess

Abandonments - RNZ This Morning

Kathryn Ryan has someone on about the topic this morning - not sure what time but her show starts after the 9am news (when she givs a run-down of what's on at what times ...).  Could be worth a listen if you're near a radio / smart-phone ...

Cheers, J 

2 minutes ago, Leggy said:

About 9.20am

Kathryn Ryan talks to New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing CEO, Bernard Saundry, New Zealand Racing Board Chief Executive John Allen, the New Zealand Trainers' Association president Tony Pike and Tony Lepper the President of the Central Otago Racing Club.

Guest 2Admin2

I trust you all realise that even with the abandonment's there have been more meetings and races held to date this season than last.  As I've said before abandonment's are budgeted and without them NZTR would have a large deficit.

What is of more concern is that the number of less than 8 horse fields is up nearly 30%.  This costs the industry more revenue than abandoned races as it is a fact that small fields attract proportionately much less punting.

I listened to that John Allen on the radio.  Normally when I hear public relations guff I turn off, but I listened intently.  I do believe he would be better suited to a job in central government rather than trying to run a betting agency.  His idea of providing continuous betting to people around the world may seem admirable, but the costs of doing so; I just cannot believe that they are worthwhile.  I think a rigorous cost accountant would highlight the losses in some areas.  But we will never ever find out as the favourite phrase of a bureaucrat under scrutiny is "it is commercially sensitive".  I think that is code for;

"we are building a huge empire so that we can sail into the next decade without the burden of NZ racing, but by providing a wagering facility on a multitude of foreign events."  I say, without NZ Racing, because by then they would have stuffed it.

37 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I listened to that John Allen on the radio.  Normally when I hear public relations guff I turn off, but I listened intently.  I do believe he would be better suited to a job in central government rather than trying to run a betting agency.  His idea of providing continuous betting to people around the world may seem admirable, but the costs of doing so; I just cannot believe that they are worthwhile.  I think a rigorous cost accountant would highlight the losses in some areas.  But we will never ever find out as the favourite phrase of a bureaucrat under scrutiny is "it is commercially sensitive".  I think that is code for;

"we are building a huge empire so that we can sail into the next decade without the burden of NZ racing, but by providing a wagering facility on a multitude of foreign events."  I say, without NZ Racing, because by then they would have stuffed it.

Like NZ Post TN....?? :rolleyes:

John Messara's take on NZ racing in the Informant is on the money, by a man that knows. Love him or hate him, he's been ever so successful in the thoroughbred industry and he should be listened to. Will the people with the say do that? I very much doubt it, that's the reason we are in such a pickle, pride, ego's and self interest, oh how I wish I was wrong, if only that Peters guy grew a pair, showed us all he was an honest man....and did just as John suggested.....we could have a wonderful rich industry here, it's just sitting there, like a ripe apple, just waiting to be picked..........

The discussion around tracks is just one small part of the vast issues the industry face, but after Winston's announcement the media seem to have zeroed in on it. A bit frustrating also having these interviewers with clearly very little clue about how the industry works asking the questions. Last week on Breakfast and again today expecting the interviewee to describe in 30 seconds the whole industry model.

9 minutes ago, La Zip said:

John Messara's take on NZ racing in the Informant is on the money, by a man that knows. Love him or hate him, he's been ever so successful in the thoroughbred industry and he should be listened to. Will the people with the say do that? I very much doubt it, that's the reason we are in such a pickle, pride, ego's and self interest, oh how I wish I was wrong, if only that Peters guy grew a pair, showed us all he was an honest man....and did just as John suggested.....we could have a wonderful rich industry here, it's just sitting there, like a ripe apple, just waiting to be picked..........

It's online now too 
https://theinformant.co.nz/website/News/single_news/Messara-advises-NZ-racing-industry-to-start-again-with-a-blank-/KT8341

Thanks to Kathryn Ryan for hosting a good discussion, and asking some pertinent questions.

Of the four speakers,Tony Lepper was the more interesting. His analysis was to the point and stressed that some Central Otago clubs attracted big numbers to their meetings. When I go to Otaki and see more stable staff than punters, my heart sinks. Our industry is so poorly promoted, it's not surprising. 

Tony Pike's point that there are too many tracks (3 on the West Coast SI, 2 on the East Coast NI) was well made. He shirked the issue of top-heavy administration that Ryan tried to address.

Saundry gave credible answers to Ryan's questions, but what he said wasn't very convincing, nice words but will he do anything?

John Allen as usual was glib and articulate as ever, but unconvincing. Where his '$60 million by 2020' will come from I can't see. Good talker, but it's action we need.

The issues were addressed, and now what's needed is some decent analytical discussion, without backstabbing, bleating and blaming the breeders. If Winston Peters could put a bomb under the administrators who have allowed our beloved industry to atrophy at the expense of inept management and bloated salaries, things might improve.

Sadly racing has lost it's appeal, and it's hard to imagine how it can regain it, administered the way it currently is. Clubs should get off their backsides and realise that they're in the entertainment business, and the way to invigorate racing is to make it more sexy, more interesting. Right now I'd rather watch my horse on Trackside than on-course. How sad is that?

2 hours ago, horseboy said:

Read it Puha. I know you dislike all things Aussie (it appears so) but Messara has "been there and done that, at time Oz needed him. Now NZ needs someone like him to turn the river upside down. 

4 hours ago, Nearco said:

Thanks to Kathryn Ryan for hosting a good discussion, and asking some pertinent questions.

Of the four speakers,Tony Lepper was the more interesting. His analysis was to the point and stressed that some Central Otago clubs attracted big numbers to their meetings. When I go to Otaki and see more stable staff than punters, my heart sinks. Our industry is so poorly promoted, it's not surprising. 

Tony Pike's point that there are too many tracks (3 on the West Coast SI, 2 on the East Coast NI) was well made. He shirked the issue of top-heavy administration that Ryan tried to address.

Saundry gave credible answers to Ryan's questions, but what he said wasn't very convincing, nice words but will he do anything?

John Allen as usual was glib and articulate as ever, but unconvincing. Where his '$60 million by 2020' will come from I can't see. Good talker, but it's action we need.

The issues were addressed, and now what's needed is some decent analytical discussion, without backstabbing, bleating and blaming the breeders. If Winston Peters could put a bomb under the administrators who have allowed our beloved industry to atrophy at the expense of inept management and bloated salaries, things might improve.

Sadly racing has lost it's appeal, and it's hard to imagine how it can regain it, administered the way it currently is. Clubs should get off their backsides and realise that they're in the entertainment business, and the way to invigorate racing is to make it more sexy, more interesting. Right now I'd rather watch my horse on Trackside than on-course. How sad is that?

Pike misses the point continually made - those (four actually not three) courses on the Coast cost not one cent to run.  It is entirely(and I mean entirely) voluntary.  The only one paid is the Secretary.  Closing them will not save the industry one single cent not will it provide the industry with one single cent to invest elsewhere.  He somehow mixes them up with the example he no doubt sees at Te Rapa or wherever where there is a myriad of track and admin staff.

I appreciate that the Coast probably has too many tracks and that they are too small but it is false economy to think that closing them will benefit the industry.  Maybe it is time for racing that is more tiered(City/Country) but looking at Riccarton's fields for Saturday(and Te Rapa's yesterday) there does not appear to be a desperate desire for more opportunities in a metropolitan racing environment.

And the complaints re the state of the facilities are generally pointed at the Metro clubs as well certainly not the country venues.

Having said all that Messara makes some very valid points and the issue of NZRB and its desire to be all things to all men in terms of the codes is something that I have not considered before.  Maybe it is time for the codes to take over control of their own destiny.  Three separate gaming operations maybe?  

The $50 - $60 million extra available by 2020 to the industry surely will not all go to the Thoroughbred industry.

Needs to be apportioned to the three codes AND the sports associations as a large proportion of the increase (if it occurs) could come from  sports and overseas run racing.

The way John Allen put it is misleading IMO.

3 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Pike misses the point continually made - those (four actually not three) courses on the Coast cost not one cent to run.  It is entirely(and I mean entirely) voluntary.  The only one paid is the Secretary.  Closing them will not save the industry one single cent not will it provide the industry with one single cent to invest elsewhere.  He somehow mixes them up with the example he no doubt sees at Te Rapa or wherever where there is a myriad of track and admin staff.

I appreciate that the Coast probably has too many tracks and that they are too small but it is false economy to think that closing them will benefit the industry.  Maybe it is time for racing that is more tiered(City/Country) but looking at Riccarton's fields for Saturday(and Te Rapa's yesterday) there does not appear to be a desperate desire for more opportunities in a metropolitan racing environment.

And the complaints re the state of the facilities are generally pointed at the Metro clubs as well certainly not the country venues.

Having said all that Messara makes some very valid points and the issue of NZRB and its desire to be all things to all men in terms of the codes is something that I have not considered before.  Maybe it is time for the codes to take over control of their own destiny.  Three separate gaming operations maybe?  

I'm startled that a man in his position can be thinking this about the tracks.

It would almost be worth drawing up a list of tracks in New Zealand who  are not run on a voluntary basis , would it go something like this:

Ruakaka

Ellerslie

Counties

Te Rapa 

Matamata

Tauranga

Hastings

New Plymouth

Wanganui

Awapuni

Trentham

Riccarton

Wingatui

would the rest of the tracks not be operated on primarily a voluntary basis?

Compare the Two meetings yesterday in the NI . One had thousands of people oncourse and good fields throughout the day even a $20gate charge didn’t stop the hoards Also run primarily on a volunteer basis.The other meeting was run in the city with rubbish fields and no crowd but high stakes .This one wasn’t run on a volunteer basis .Maybe Mr Pike should be calling for the closure of the track at his backdoor?

50 minutes ago, Huey said:

I'm startled that a man in his position can be thinking this about the tracks.

It would almost be worth drawing up a list of tracks in New Zealand who  are not run on a voluntary basis , would it go something like this:

Ruakaka

Ellerslie

Counties

Te Rapa 

Matamata

Tauranga

Hastings

New Plymouth

Wanganui

Awapuni

Trentham

Riccarton

Wingatui

would the rest of the tracks not be operated on primarily a voluntary basis?

Arawa Park?

6 minutes ago, puha said:

Compare the Two meetings yesterday in the NI . One had thousands of people oncourse and good fields throughout the day even a $20gate charge didn’t stop the hoards Also run primarily on a volunteer basis.The other meeting was run in the city with rubbish fields and no crowd but high stakes .This one wasn’t run on a volunteer basis .Maybe Mr Pike should be calling for the closure of the track at his backdoor?

To be fair Puha, there is a major meeting 4 days later which will have many thousands at it.

Wait until the AW track is built at Te Rapa and they race every 2 weeks there, will be quieter than a morgue. 

I am in favour of all weather tracks, but this health and safety situation that is presently in force, what will happen when a horse slips on the all weather track? Will it be that the track is unsafe, and racing is flagged away?  It always seems to be the track at fault. Could not just be the horse knuckled over, like we all can do at times. Maybe we need to talk to the Motor Racing people, and get their spin on health and safety. They do not seem to stop all racing for the day if a car spins out because of driver error, car malfunction or substance on the track.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Robert.