RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Public Opinion Against Supporting the Racing Industry

Guest 2Admin2

It is apparent that public opinion is dead against the Government offering support and financial assistance to the Racing Industry.  They have a point when they point to the NZRB's prolific announcements that they are a "successful billion dollar industry."  If you listen to talk back and observe all the political blogs you will hear or see that the opinion is - "why should the Government prop up an industry with growing costs and diminishing returns?"  Especially when we are promoting the multi-million dollar success of the sales!!!

The sound of "let them fund their own $20m track" is resonating through the populace.

The only way the industry will get assistance is if they offer a politically acceptable compromise and the way I see it there is only three options in that space:

1. seek interim relief while the Racefields Legislation takes affect (sadly it isn't the silver bullet);
  2. commit to delivering ALL the pokie revenues back to the communities they derive it from;
  3. return all sports derived revenue back to sports.

I'd suggest that all three are likely.

Also I note that the Thoroughbred industry seems to be the one with its hand out.  If they get relief, special funding or compensation what do the other two codes get?

Agree with above post from 2Admin2 .

Also there are some seriously wealthy people in racing.....some have actually earned all of this wealth from Racing.....so why don't they get together and put the money up for the track which everyone agrees is so badly needed. A few million each is neither here nor there...petty cash !

9 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Was always going to happen if it got in the public spotlight. Might have opened a can of worms.

The other code issue is interesting. Can't see the other two standing still while TR gets a handout for a track and they don't get a pro-rata equivalent.

Harness racing is in an even worse state. $8,000 races are really only $6,000 races as they often pay back to last, although they do get free entry. And once they win one or two races the horses disappear and they have even less open class horses than galloping. And their ratings system is pretty weird and focuses on the bottom tier horses. They hate winning races worth more than $15,000 and they love penalty free races. So Galloping isn't doing too bad in comparison and at least potentially has a product that could be exported as a betting option.

Peter Moody mentioned the importance of strengthening grassroots racing in his interview with George Simon at Ellerslie the other night, but since then all we've seen and heard is crayfish, champagne, backslapping, winking and record prices. Good viewing for us aspirational racing folk but it must be sickening to the Labour voters. 

$20 million seems to be a very low figure for a new track, especially if it is to be on a "green field"site in the Waikato.  

The question has to be asked --Which clubs will benefit from the development?  The answer to that would depend on how it was going to be operated.  But if it is the clubs, say north of Taupo then if between them they cannot form a company and fund it themselves I would question going ahead with it. Nothing focuses the mind better than having your own money on the line ( in this cases clubs money)

I do not think Government funding should be involved --maybe  help with loan guarantees in some way but that should be it. 

1 hour ago, tasman man 11 said:

Agree with above post from 2Admin2 .

Also there are some seriously wealthy people in racing.....some have actually earned all of this wealth from Racing.....so why don't they get together and put the money up for the track which everyone agrees is so badly needed. A few million each is neither here nor there...petty cash !

There are a lot of wealthy people in racing however,most of them got their initial wealth other ways.They don't really have the passion for racing and there is no way they are going to give money away to a sick industry that only the top 2/3 % hold all the cards.

Lets be honest most people don't get wealthy by being over generous.

2 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:
  1. return all sports derived revenue back to sports.

Maybe the govt can front up with a one-off payment to buy the future profits of sports betting from Racing that owns and funded the development of the TAB? (unlikely)

2 hours ago, dock leaf said:

Peter Moody mentioned the importance of strengthening grassroots racing in his interview with George Simon at Ellerslie the other night, but since then all we've seen and heard is crayfish, champagne, backslapping, winking and record prices. Good viewing for us aspirational racing folk but it must be sickening to the Labour voters. 

Labour Voters made up about 34% at the last election didn't they? They also make up a large portion of punters.

Guest 2Admin2
20 minutes ago, horseboy said:

Maybe the govt can front up with a one-off payment to buy the future profits of sports betting from Racing that owns and funded the development of the TAB? (unlikely)

Racing didn't fund the development of the TAB.  The punter did.

58 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Racing didn't fund the development of the TAB.  The punter did.

The clubs owners trainers who put on the races provided the meetings that the TAB ran the tote on.

The Chairmen of the respective codes were the first to run the Board.

The 2003 Act has put paid to the "who owns the TAB" argument.

As the greyhounds and now sports have joined the business there is a need to look at the whole management structure.

The TAB should operate independently of the codes and sports in some sort of competitive environment.  IMO

1 hour ago, shaneMcAlister said:

My stance is if the government want to run racing then they have to fund it if required.  If they do not want to fund it then privatise it.

If it is privatised it has to stand on its own two feet. 

Dead right Shane, they have a stake and therefore costs go with that. Exactly the same as AirNZ or NZ Railways bailouts of the past. With any money goes responsibilty to get the house in order.

4 hours ago, dock leaf said:

Labour voters find anyone sucessful sickening. These are smart business people who just happen to use a horse as a tool for success. Those very same people pay buckets of tax for Labour voters to get benefits.

23 minutes ago, barryb said:

Dead right Shane, they have a stake and therefore costs go with that. Exactly the same as AirNZ or NZ Railways bailouts of the past. With any money goes responsibilty to get the house in order.

Speaking of Trains and Planes and other forms of public transport, plenty of people using them every day are very wealthy and enjoy subsidised services provided by Central and Local Govt. Many of these services have been miss managed for decades as well.

Turn off the talk back stations and like me you wont hear a stitch of moaning about racing on The Rock. Talkback is full of pensioners and stay at home mums, who grizzle about 2 flies rooting on the wallpaper.

2 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

My stance is if the government want to run racing then they have to fund it if required.  If they do not want to fund it then privatise it.

If it is privatised it has to stand on its own two feet. 

Agreed after all Nathan Clown, the then Minister  stood by as Bonkin Bayliss blew tens of millions during his period of mis managment. $10M alone just moving trackside to Auckland 

34 minutes ago, barryb said:

Speaking of Trains and Planes and other forms of public transport, plenty of people using them every day are very wealthy and enjoy subsidised services provided by Central and Local Govt. Many of these services have been miss managed for decades as well.

Turn off the talk back stations and like me you wont hear a stitch of moaning about racing on The Rock. Talkback is full of pensioners and stay at home mums, who grizzle about 2 flies rooting on the wallpaper.

Also mis managed as privately run companies. Faye Richwhite as owner plundered NZ Rail by asset stripping it  and the Government bought back Air NZ when it was about to go Belly Up  and then made a fortune when it was turned around.

Guest 2Admin2
Just now, bloke said:

Also mis managed as privately run companies. Faye Richwhite as owner plundered NZ Rail by asset stripping it  and the Government bought back Air NZ when it was about to go Belly Up  and then made a fortune when it was turned around.

I think the general public in those days had more support for a national airline than racing does now.  By the end of the week there'll be $100m+ of real money spent at Karaka.  The industry wants a handout?

Guest 2Admin2
1 minute ago, hesi said:

You got it exactly right Admin

The RB is awash with truckloads of money, trouble is, a lot of it does not end up for the direct benefit of Racing

Sort that out and there is no need for asking for tax payers money.

The RB has a Culture Dept and a Head of Culture, when all  they were really meant to do was run an efficient wagering organisation.

The only culture is one of extravagance

Yep and the positive marketing on free TV doesn't realise that if you remove stakes what is the point of racing.  I'm sorry I could think of better thrills for $30k a year.

5 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

There are a lot of wealthy people in racing however,most of them got their initial wealth other ways.They don't really have the passion for racing and there is no way they are going to give money away to a sick industry that only the top 2/3 % hold all the cards.

Lets be honest most people don't get wealthy by being over generous.

Maybe.......but the folk I'm thinking of are up to their eyes in Racing......buying expensive horses, studs and big on sponsoring.

Take Sir Owen G......OK made his money elsewhere but now a huge investor in Racing and also a huge contributor to many sports , Universities and good causes.

Sir P.....made everything from Racing /Studs.......sells his golden egg to a Racing keano who reportedly didn't even blink at the price asked.

These 3 alone would probably give the first new track ,part of which would be named after them.....their legacy !

Then all the other Racing enthusiasts who appear on the Rich List ,say over $100 million ,could give a few million each and a second is built.

Many don't realise it ,but they have plenty.....way more than they need or can spend !

I would even give a few thousand for a life membership ,my name on a seat in stand !

We are all going to die ,as many rich people come to realise as age increases and mobility decreases ,you can't take it with you and kinda pointless in giving it to your kids/grandkids to spoil them rotten and make them miserable misfits !

Its kinda obvious IMO !

They love Racing , its brought them amazing thrills ,they have more $ than they need so now its time to save the Industry !

People forget the Racing industry is just that,an industry.

The general population think its punters in a TAB "making money".

I could bore you with how much money the government make from Taxes from the hard working people in the game but i won't.

But i will put a simple argument forward. Racing employs thousands and thousands of "unskilled workers". Not many of us knocked back the NASA junior Astronaut program to get a job in the stables. I think a figure of 16,000 people was mentioned once by NZTR

Racing dies and you have another 16,000 people out of work. Lets say half of them find another job. You still have 8,000 people out of work.

Thankfully this country loves paying people to sit on their arse at home.

Lets say the government pay them a benefit of $600 a week.( Im not sure what they pay as i've always worked)

So 8,000 people on $600 a week equals (if i paid enough attention in maths at school) $4.8 million  a week!!!!

$10 million sounds like alot of money but its a piss in the ocean for a government who is already planning on throwing a ton of money at "Child Poverty"

Buy a few million boxes of condoms or lock up the parents who breed and then don't feed their kids. Everyone is happy to give them a handout but offended when an industry of hard workers needs a hand. Typical of the society we live in today.  (The government would only be returning a slice of the tax pie racing has cooked them)