RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

KARAKA SALES

Wonderful drama always a treat to watch all the theatre and adrenalin live on TV but when the lights go down and the ego's subside reality takes over for another year.

Just a touch of reality ........... I looked at last years results and without being specific randomly selected 19 horses with a total sales value $5.5 million so the average was $305,500 + .

To make the horses easier to " track " I made sure they were sold to Aust/NZ clients and also made sure they appeared in the Australian or NZ register.

The following is bit of a summary after 12 months.

1) Named but Unraced

2)       "         "         "

3)Named but Non Starter

4)Named 2nd in a 6 horse race

5)Named 2nd a 3rd and a 4th in 5 horse trials

6)Named but unraced

7)  "             "        "

8)  "             "        "

9)   "           "          "

10)    "         "          "

11)  "           "          "

12) Unnamed and Unraced

13) Named but unraced

14) Unnamed and Unraced

15)  "                   "           "

16)    "                 "           "

17)    "                "             "

18)  "                  "              "

19) Named but unraced

We know they all don't make 2 year olds but they would have been prepared for the Karaka Million and have clearly all been tried. It is possible that some have been exported BUT its less likely than other scenario's.

SHE'S A TOUGH GAME  unless you win about   5 races. 

Most of these horses will pushed to their limits, physically and mentally, at a very young age, guess there will be many that don't make it, through no fault of their own, seems a shame that time is not on their side.

6 minutes ago, Shad said:

Most of these horses will pushed to their limits, physically and mentally, at a very young age, guess there will be many that don't make it, through no fault of their own, seems a shame that time is not on their side.

What a load of bollocks if so many were unsuccessful as you intimate why is the sale so successful???

29 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

What a load of bollocks if so many were unsuccessful as you intimate why is the sale so successful???

Not many horses are profitable Scooby.Only people thart make money on horses are breeders and trainer's and the very rare lucky owner. These big hitters have multiple horses and their balance sheets would be massive in the negative. Just a hobby for them. Like buying a sports car or luxury yacht.  Disposable income.

15 minutes ago, Dockers said:

Not many horses are profitable Scooby.Only people thart make money on horses are breeders and trainer's and the very rare lucky owner. These big hitters have multiple horses and their balance sheets would be massive in the negative. Just a hobby for them. Like buying a sports car or luxury yacht.  Disposable income.

Nonsense i have bought and raced many and would say am still in front. Not everyone has disposable income..and just to let you know there are not to many trainers making money nowadays thats for sure.

16 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Nonsense i have bought and raced many and would say am still in front. Not everyone has disposable income..and just to let you know there are not to many trainers making money nowadays thats for sure.

You keep on going, must just be so lucky. Not many i know are in front, but then what would i know.

19 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

You would be an exception rather than the  rule. But good luck to you. Any owner than comes out in front deserves all the success in the world. Very tough in NZ when you are paying close to 3k a month to train a horse and the prize money as we all know is not flash. Basically a horse needs to make about 30k a year or 120k in its racing life to break even. I love to know the percentage of horses that start that make 120k in their racing life. ? 5 percent or is that to generous ?

2 minutes ago, Dockers said:

You would be an exception rather than the  rule. But good luck to you. Any owner than comes out in front deserves all the success in the world. Very tough in NZ when you are paying close to 3k a month to train a horse and the prize money as we all know is not flash. Basically a horse needs to make about 30k a year or 120k in its racing life to break even. I love to know the percentage of horses that start that make 120k in their racing life. ? 5 percent or is that to generous ?

Thats why i stopped racing in NZ risk is way to high better to spread the risk and own a little piece of a few...hope one pays for the rest.

3 minutes ago, Dockers said:

You would be an exception rather than a rule. But good luck to you. Any owner than comes out in front deserves all the success in the world. Very tough in ND when you are paying close to 3k a month to train a horse and the prize money as we all know is not flash. Basically a horse needs to make about 30k a year or 120k in its racing life to break even. I love to know the percentage of horses that start that make 120k in their racing life. ? 5 percent or is that to generous ?

Yep good call.  We pay $3k in a month without any races.  Head to the races one or twice in a month and the cost is significantly higher.  My current horse is my last one.

My guess would be significantly less than 5% of horses pay their way  (if you're racing them and not selling them)

4 minutes ago, Shad said:

You keep on going, must just be so lucky. Not many i know are in front, but then what would i know.

No I stopped have not raced one for a couple of years racing is shagged and too hard to even get square now with the low money on offer.

2 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No I stopped have not raced one for a couple of years racing is shagged and too hard to even get square now with the low money on offer.

I agree there. I only ever have a couple at a time and max 20 percent. There are some signs of improving stakes. Few Friday meetings offering 22k for r65 stakes. 

5 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Agree with that, for me its about the passion of racing, any win or placing or even just getting one to the races is a thrill like nothing else.

43 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

What were the ones you raced?

27 minutes ago, Dockers said:

Agree mate. Amazing thrill. The missus just dosent get it lol. Ph

Don't worry, there are plenty that dont, you couldn't never be in it for the money, thats for sure. Purely passion, nothing more. The photos you can't get to celebrate any win are priceless and you have them for life, reality is you can't just buy a win weather you spend a fortune or a pittance.

3 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Many, Star worship, Scandinavia, Love to dance,Amnesia,Moira Lee,Ketchikau,some of the better ones.

Some very distinguished horses in that list.  I remember watching Love to Dance gallop in the mornings, she had some serious wheels.  Back when Stratford was home to Lord Majestic, Silver Chalice, Dino Morcelli, Pakaraka Star and All in Fun.

5 hours ago, Shad said:

Time is not on my side lol

39 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Most owners give the trainer 10% out of the sale price it is what we have always done when selling them...

5 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

Wonderful drama always a treat to watch all the theatre and adrenalin live on TV but when the lights go down and the ego's subside reality takes over for another year.

Just a touch of reality ........... I looked at last years results and without being specific randomly selected 19 horses with a total sales value $5.5 million so the average was $305,500 + .

To make the horses easier to " track " I made sure they were sold to Aust/NZ clients and also made sure they appeared in the Australian or NZ register.

The following is bit of a summary after 12 months.

1) Named but Unraced

2)       "         "         "

3)Named but Non Starter

4)Named 2nd in a 6 horse race

5)Named 2nd a 3rd and a 4th in 5 horse trials

6)Named but unraced

7)  "             "        "

8)  "             "        "

9)   "           "          "

10)    "         "          "

11)  "           "          "

12) Unnamed and Unraced

13) Named but unraced

14) Unnamed and Unraced

15)  "                   "           "

16)    "                 "           "

17)    "                "             "

18)  "                  "              "

19) Named but unraced

We know they all don't make 2 year olds but they would have been prepared for the Karaka Million and have clearly all been tried. It is possible that some have been exported BUT its less likely than other scenario's.

SHE'S A TOUGH GAME  unless you win about   5 races. 

35 minutes ago, Tomjr said:

Some very distinguished horses in that list.  I remember watching Love to Dance gallop in the mornings, she had some serious wheels.  Back when Stratford was home to Lord Majestic, Silver Chalice, Dino Morcelli, Pakaraka Star and All in Fun.

Ya she was a machine.... but she nearly never got to the races she was so tough to break in!!!