RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Harness Racing Names

1 hour ago, hands down said:

Ive just heard a galloper race in australia some provincial  track , called stars and stripes , at  {gosford} , if my memorys still working im sure barron had a pacer the same name some years ago, could run too

Hardly a champion though,whereas some others mentioned were

The harness Stars and Stripes won at least 3 derbies in New Zealand and Australia, and two heats of the 2002 Interdominions in Sydney, so was a bit above average, but no superstar.

Cheers.

Robert.

3 hours ago, Sobeit said:

The most recent TB Lazarus is a 9yro gelding by Keeninsky who last raced in 2014 so there won't be another Lazarus in the NZ studbook for a few years to come. Current TB naming rules are:

Rules for naming your horse

There are some rules to bear in mind when naming your horse:

• Names must be no longer than 18 characters, including the spaces
  • Don't apply for names whose spelling or pronunciation is similar to names already registered
  • A name cannot be reused until 15 years has passed since the foaling of a similar named horse
  • Names for broodmares cannot be used until 12 years has passed since that name last appeared in the Stud Book
  • Names of winners of Group One races are protected
  • Names of stallions cannot be used until 15 years has passed since they last appeared in a studbook.

Looks very simple and common sense to me.  There have been many double ups over the years and ofte  a horse does well in New Zealand and gets an Australian namesake not long after and has to race with a prefix over there (Mr Eurostar, Our Star Dancer, Its All in Fun, Mr Marconee and many others) are the Aussies just expanding on pinching Pavlova and Phar Lap or have I just opened another huge can of worms lol 

On 1/27/2018 at 8:06 AM, hands down said:

i didnt no that , new noodlum was spelt muldoon backwards, speaking of double names, noodlum was chased all the way my a pacer called comissioner, probably spelt that wrong, think it was trained my the halls then, and earls the later one that david walsh rode alot

I assume you are comparing the harness horse to Commissionaire.  If so I suspect , given that I have no memory of the harness horse you mention, that there is no issue.  Commissionaire the galloper was an outstanding horse trained by Noel Eales, and I think owned by a Mrs Aynsford, but I would not be anywhere near as offended if another trotter used that name as using Show Gate.

What I am talking about is hall of fame horses in one code having their names duplicated in the other not something that once won a stakes race having its name replicated

Show Gate, Sunline, Caduceus, Delightful Lady, Lordship not something that just held on to win a maiden at Reefton.

8 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I assume you are comparing the harness horse to Commissionaire.  If so I suspect , given that I have no memory of the harness horse you mention, that there is no issue.  Commissionaire the galloper was an outstanding horse trained by Noel Eales, and I think owned by a Mrs Aynsford, but I would not be anywhere near as offended if another trotter used that name as using Show Gate.

What I am talking about is hall of fame horses in one code having their names duplicated in the other not something that once won a stakes race having its name replicated

Show Gate, Sunline, Caduceus, Delightful Lady, Lordship not something that just held on to win a maiden at Reefton.

i hear what you are saying , my point was harness horses like noodlum , commissionaire , and olga korbet were three horses in the 70s maybe early eighties who were pacing hall of famers in there own right, not as today, but some names today are not very original, and im dam sure the guys who name these new ones today no of the previous ones that were famous , thats my view anyway, might be wrong.

7 minutes ago, hands down said:

i hear what you are saying , my point was harness horses like noodlum , commissionaire , and olga korbet were three horses in the 70s maybe early eighties who were pacing hall of famers in there own right, not as today, but some names today are not very original, and im dam sure the guys who name these new ones today no of the previous ones that were famous , thats my view anyway, might be wrong.

Commissionaire being a Pacing Hall of Fame Horse in the 70's!

I don't recall it. Was it male or female? 

I certainly remember the other two.

Maybe I was doing a Rip Van Winkle.

Just now, Insider said:

Commissionaire being a Pacing Hall of Fame Horse in the 70's!

I don't recall it. Was it male or female? 

I certainly remember the other two.

Maybe I was doing a Rip Van Winkle.

he wasnt quite as good as the previous two, but i no he did beat them at some stage,the three had some real battles, when i said hall of famers, i mean those three in the day were famous, two of them had cult following.

9 minutes ago, CosmicBlackie said:

It’s Commissioner, trained by Nat Hall.

Hi Blackie,

Yes, you are correct, Commissioner was trained in Rangiora by Nat Hall, and won 12 races. He was a stallion, and stood at stud, producing 120 foals, with minimal success on the racetrack.

Rip Van Winkle was harness sire imported in the 80's from the USA., also with limited success at stud.

Cheers.

Robert.

38 minutes ago, hands down said:

Commissioner and Olga Korbut(I do recall her) were not bloody harness racing hall of famers!

Get with the bloody gist of the discussion!

Just now, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Commissioner and Olga Korbut(I do recall her) were not bloody harness racing hall of famers!

Get with the bloody gist of the discussion!

you have no idear , if you dont no this stuff, then id advise you to button up

you have no idear , if you dont no this stuff, then id advise you to button up

Listen you halfwit you have been here for a week or so and generally talked utter piffle(and this is a classic example)

If you cannot keep up with the theme of the thread you should get off the forum

And if you are going to stay on learn to use correct spelling, punctuation and construction of your sentences.  Capitals where appropriate for a start.  

7 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Listen you halfwit you have been here for a week or so and generally talked utter piffle(and this is a classic example)

If you cannot keep up with the theme of the thread you should get off the forum

And if you are going to stay on learn to use correct spelling, punctuation and construction of your sentences.  Capitals where appropriate for a start.  

tough guy ah, your just a fool, clowns like you are clueless, especially ones like you.

tough guy ah, your just a fool, clowns like you are clueless, especially ones like you.

No need for this at all guys.  Tom some people don't have perfect grammar or spelling, this does not make there right to an opinion any less worthy nor does it make it invalid.  As far as name duplication across codes is concerned they are seperate competing codes and it is a bit rich one code telling another "Thou Shalt Not".  My rugby club here had a retired jersey number, all our locks wore 55 on there backs to honour Piney who I was honoured to know very well.  Retiring of a number or name needs to be a rare thing or it loses its significance.  Piney loved his horses almost as much as a pint of Waikato and if he was still here I would think he would tell you two to knock it off.

4 hours ago, Tomjr said:

No need for this at all guys.  Tom some people don't have perfect grammar or spelling, this does not make there right to an opinion any less worthy nor does it make it invalid.  As far as name duplication across codes is concerned they are seperate competing codes and it is a bit rich one code telling another "Thou Shalt Not".  My rugby club here had a retired jersey number, all our locks wore 55 on there backs to honour Piney who I was honoured to know very well.  Retiring of a number or name needs to be a rare thing or it loses its significance.  Piney loved his horses almost as much as a pint of Waikato and if he was still here I would think he would tell you two to knock it off.

sorry to the rest of you guys, yes im not 100% on the spelling , but im sure you get my drift, i say it as it is, just i no who this guy is, born in cobden helps, and knowing  hes got this small guy syndrome ,. and doesnt like when other people have a say over and above what he does.seems to think what ever he says is correct, but he always talks from his pocket, in other words backs the wrong horse.

3 hours ago, hands down said:

sorry to the rest of you guys, yes im not 100% on the spelling , but im sure you get my drift, i say it as it is, just i no who this guy is, born in cobden helps, and knowing  hes got this small guy syndrome ,. and doesnt like when other people have a say over and above what he does.seems to think what ever he says is correct, but he always talks from his pocket, in other words backs the wrong horse.

You are wrong again as to where he was born, what size he is and how good a punter he is, but don't let facts get in your way of your story.