RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

To race for a Million bucks or 22.5 grand...?

Well here is one all good 'Cafers will have an opinion on forsure....

And the answer apparently is 22,500

The 3yo filly purchased by a very hot and flustered Cubemeister at Karaka in 2016....lot 1282... (Thanks Kevin/Thanks Leo) qualified for the 3yo Million buckness and was all paid up and at rating 65 made the field and.....

See you in the last @ Riccarton on Saturday......

Trainer made the call.....Cubemeister has never had a live ticket to the big dance before , and in all probability never will again , and woulda gone....

It does look like some pretty useful types running 'round in strong fields at Ellerslie on Saturday to be fair

Interesting Factoids :

#1.....If you win a Million dollar race @ Ellerslie ( dreams are free )your stakeness is $ 530,500.......That's about 53 percent Liz

#2....If you win a NZD 22,500 race @ Riccarton ( dreams are free )your stakeness is $ 15,625 which is 69.4 perecnt recurring Chevy

#3....In Foreign Exchange market terminology the word million is never mentioned.....it is the default unit of trade ......e.g if you want to buy 14 million New Zealand dollars you just say i wanna buy 14 Kiwi....

#4....Cubity and his plans for world domination may have to be on hold for another year......

44 minutes ago, Cubes said:

Well here is one all good 'Cafers will have an opinion on forsure....

And the answer apparently is 22,500

The 3yo filly purchased by a very hot and flustered Cubemeister at Karaka in 2016....lot 1282... (Thanks Kevin/Thanks Leo) qualified for the 3yo Million buckness and was all paid up and at rating 65 made the field and.....

See you in the last @ Riccarton on Saturday......

Trainer made the call.....Cubemeister has never had a live ticket to the big dance before , and in all probability never will again , and woulda gone....

It does look like some pretty useful types running 'round in strong fields at Ellerslie on Saturday to be fair

Interesting Factoids :

#1.....If you win a Million dollar race @ Ellerslie ( dreams are free )your stakeness is $ 530,500.......That's about 53 percent Liz

#2....If you win a NZD 22,500 race @ Riccarton ( dreams are free )your stakeness is $ 15,625 which is 69.4 perecnt recurring Chevy

#3....In Foreign Exchange market terminology the word million is never mentioned.....it is the default unit of trade ......e.g if you want to buy 14 million New Zealand dollars you just say i wanna buy 14 Kiwi....

#4....Cubity and his plans for world domination may have to be on hold for another year......

$s and horses all irrelevant Cubes--just keep stowing those Bitcoins!:D

I  thought the bill payer had the say, just getting in the bun fight would be a buzz regardless of how you went or where you finished, this racing game is full of surprises, and anything is possible, and we have seen plenty of that over the years.What do they say, dare to dream.

Dreams, they let you down, but they never leave you! 

It starts all over again for many this Sunday night.

Someone's dream will come true in 12 or 24 months time, I can promise you that.

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Jog my memory, but wasn't there a certain trainer last weekend, who did not want to take their horse north for a certain big race.

What happened there?:rolleyes:

No one said they didn't want to take Enzo's Lad to Wgtn rather concerns about the track were discussed EL was booked to travel a week before the race and Sam was booked before the fields were framed. As the trainer and part owner I can assure you it was on the radar before NZ Cup Week that was why we did not run in the stewards being mindful he would have to carry more weight for a Group3 win than a listed win. The result was very satisfying and rewarding Thank you

Thanks Hesi, knew he was having a great year and so deserved - imagine our South Island racing without Pitty and he can foot it with the big ones with, all due respect, second tier animals - and the CJC didn't need him on board - go figure that

Hesi, he won the Pegasus, was well weighted, a team of Wellington Owners and was looking for a good track - all stars aligned I would have thought, but maybe managing expectations was the issue, after all it let out at 70's, wasn't in my first four, but I had him in my first 6 compliments of the Pegasus

First off I hope you pick up the higher % at Riccarton !

I'm in this game for the dream not the $ - I would have voted go for it and have a throw at the stumps. And I would have got up there early - ripped up Auckland and had the time of my life having a starter.

But I appreciate the pragmatic answer is R65 at home (having said that what do you get for starting in the Million $ race ?? For 10th ?)

As someone else said it isn't the trainers call either. I am continually baffled by the way this industry works with trainers sailing on and doing what they like. While there is something about Lloyd Williams that I don't warm to - I kind of do like the way he runs things :ph34r:

Good luck mate

17 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I'm in this game for the dream not the $ - I would have voted go for it and have a throw at the stumps. And I would have got up there early - ripped up Auckland and had the time of my life having a starter.

But I appreciate the pragmatic answer is R65 at home (having said that what do you get for starting in the Million $ race ?? For 10th ?)

As someone else said it isn't the trainers call either. I am continually baffled by the way this industry works with trainers sailing on and doing what they like. While there is something about Lloyd Williams that I don't warm to - I kind of do like the way he runs things :ph34r:

Good luck mate

Hi Col,

$5000 for finishing last in the million.

Cheers.

Robert.

40 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Good luck mate

Interesting comment about it not being the Trainers call.

Isn’t the Trainer the paid professional? they are surely giving Cubes smart intelligent advice about the animal, best interests of its longevity etc.

I would imagine that Cubes and the Trainer have had a few discussions about capability and realistic expectations and risks of racing at Ellerslie & that they came to a joint decision to bypass the race. If not then Cubes would be wise to flick a trainer who doesn’t have his interests under consideration.

16 hours ago, Cubes said:

I don't know how to break it to you Cubes, but the winning stake at Riccarton is only $14,060, about 62%. Winners used to get 65% many years ago, but now we pay a 5th stake.

Its not as bad as the trots though, there an $8,000 race is usually only a $6,000 race as they make payments out of the total stake to all other starters

48 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Col,

$5000 for finishing last in the million.

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Robert 

thanks for that. Would pay for the champagne and steak dinner (ignoring all the other costs of noms and getting there etc etc etc !)

hope all good for you mate.

Col

20 minutes ago, barryb said:

Interesting comment about it not being the Trainers call.

Isn’t the Trainer the paid professional? they are surely giving Cubes smart intelligent advice about the animal, best interests of its longevity etc.

I would imagine that Cubes and the Trainer have had a few discussions about capability and realistic expectations and risks of racing at Ellerslie & that they came to a joint decision to bypass the race. If not then Cubes would be wise to flick a trainer who doesn’t have his interests under consideration.

I think this is an interesting topic Barry. Sure we all rely on our trainers and they do know  more than us you would hope.

But it does surprise me how passive owners are often. How trainers make decisions without consultation and don't always share info with the owner. 

Cubes said he would have gone but trainers call. Knowing Cubes a bit I have no doubt they had a good chat - and Cubes is no shrinking violet. So perhaps my point is more relevant in a wider sense than to this instance...

The trainer is the skilled horseman and if they're playing the long game then sudden changes of tack based on circumstance can stuff up that longer term plan. Having said that, a strong 1600m at Ellerslie against your own age group v. a 1800m at Riccarton don't seem so different in the context of your filly's current preparation.

Having once had a starter (and runner up) in the Derby I know the buzz of expectation and excitement at having a runner in a big one (especially at the home of racing) - hoping you get that chance sometime soon at another venue.

best of luck, Cubes