RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ponderosa8

Avondale Track today

Following is what the NZR website currently says re AvondaleTrack today.

Race Day
Weather: Fine
Track: Dead 5 
Rail: Out 1m | 1mm Rain Overnight | 26mm Rain Last 24 Hours
Weather and Track updated at 6.45am Wednesday 24 January

On the TAB website it says "25MM of rain since 8.30am"

However If the track was Dead 5 at 6.45am and they have had 25MM of rain since 8.30am, is the Track really a Dead  5 still ??

Confused???

2 hours ago, hesi said:

I see what has happened, the TAB have not updated their website from NZTR's Tues status, so it reads as though 25mm has fallen since 8.30 this morning, which is nonsense

Pretty slack TAB

slacker than slack - the Totally Arogant Bstds still have it there at 2.00pm after 3 races today

John Allan kick some rrrrrs

4 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Just shows what a great track Avondale is though, we’ve had so much rain the last 8 days but that track will be just perfect today

Has everyone's thinking changed so much that a Dead 5 is now labelled a perfect track? Nooooooo .... Good 3 is a perfect track.

Guest 2Admin2
1 minute ago, Peter Harrop said:

Has everyone's thinking changed so much that a Dead 5 is now labelled a perfect track? Nooooooo .... Good 3 is a perfect track.

Depends on the horse.  I had one that liked F1.

3 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

Hardly a Dead 5 when R65s ran 1.09 for 1200 in the first and Maidens ran 1.10 in the second. So I'm guessing it was really a Good 3 or the timekeeper is suspect?

10 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Hardly a Dead 5 when R65s ran 1.09 for 1200 in the first and Maidens ran 1.10 in the second. So I'm guessing it was really a Good 3 or the timekeeper is suspect?

True. It has been upgraded to Dead 4 now but am hanging out for some Good 3 tracks. Just my opinion, of course, and going by the times, maybe the track is better than the official reading.

Guest 2Admin2
56 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Is that because he went faster on the F1 or because it slowed down the rest who were feeling it.

The horse was a she.  Possibly both but the Grp race she won on a F1 was probably the last race where the tough horses ran.  Sir Slick was one of them.  Darryl Tyquin's comment was apt - "they are lined up like Custers last stand".

2 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

and it is till the same at 4.10pm - come on Government let someone else take the punting $$$ on NZ Racing these clowns are selling the industry down the gurgler.:angry:

And i take it your a national voter???

6 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Great track but the facilities for human and horse need a major upgrade. 

This comes under your pet PFP, no money available for infrastructure, sad case possibly for 95% of tracks in NZ.

I would like to put another 'slant' on it.

No club has had less money to operate with, had dates stolen off them, their key races stolen too, yet what little money they do have, they obviously put into the track and for that I congratulate them.

2 hours ago, Peter Harrop said:

True. It has been upgraded to Dead 4 now but am hanging out for some Good 3 tracks. Just my opinion, of course, and going by the times, maybe the track is better than the official reading.

Surely Puke on friday will be a good rating. 

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, Insider said:

I would like to put another 'slant' on it.

No club has had less money to operate with, had dates stolen off them, their key races stolen too, yet what little money they do have, they obviously put into the track and for that I congratulate them.

That's all well and good if the club has done a good job with the funds on hand.  It doesn't change the fact its infrastructure is a disgrace.  I am sure the members love sitting up there in the same surrounds for the past 30-40years.  The problem is people under the age of 40 expect better and just won't turn up.  The course is in fact slowly dying as the existing members pass on.  With no thought to regeneration, they are in fact sealing the courses fate.  The members need to look outside the next 1-3 years and see where they are leaving the course for the future.  Selling off chunks of the property is the only way forward.  If that is not possible, then the only way is to close it down completely, rather than it dragging the industry into further embarrassment.

5 minutes ago, Gofta said:

That's all well and good if the club has done a good job with the funds on hand.  It doesn't change the fact its infrastructure is a disgrace.  I am sure the members love sitting up there in the same surrounds for the past 30-40years.  The problem is people under the age of 40 expect better and just won't turn up.  The course is in fact slowly dying as the existing members pass on.  With no thought to regeneration, they are in fact sealing the courses fate.  The members need to look outside the next 1-3 years and see where they are leaving the course for the future.  Selling off chunks of the property is the only way forward.  If that is not possible, then the only way is to close it down completely, rather than it dragging the industry into further embarrassment.

There are huge issues out at Avondale. Involves redevelopment, demolition of not just one grandstand but two plus sales of parcels of land.

OK the membership of the club is not great but denying members information plus failing to get public discussion going not good at all.

Your idea younger people expect better is bullocks. Younger people should get involved and create their own future.

It is a great pity. I was at Avondale several times during the period of night racing and the track and at that time most of the facilities were quite impressive. Their demise was brought about by borrowing too much to spend on revamping facilities duriing a period of high interest rates.

9 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

There are huge issues out at Avondale. Involves redevelopment, demolition of not just one grandstand but two plus sales of parcels of land.

OK the membership of the club is not great but denying members information plus failing to get public discussion going not good at all.

Your idea younger people expect better is bullocks. Younger people should get involved and create their own future.

That final comment just shows how out of touch many people in the industry are.  The public don't owe you or the club a damn thing.  You are providing an entertainment product just like every other sporting code in NZ who is competing for that same dollar.   If people such as yourself cannot grasp this fundamental difference from the 70's then the industry will continue to flounder.  You are living in a time when there was only rugby, racing and beer.  There are hundreds of new products out there trying to get that dollar and I'm afraid the racing industry is light years behind everyone else.

12 minutes ago, Gofta said:

That final comment just shows how out of touch many people in the industry are.  The public don't owe you or the club a damn thing.  You are providing an entertainment product just like every other sporting code in NZ who is competing for that same dollar.   If people such as yourself cannot grasp this fundamental difference from the 70's then the industry will continue to flounder.  You are living in a time when there was only rugby, racing and beer.  There are hundreds of new products out there trying to get that dollar and I'm afraid the racing industry is light years behind everyone else.

Can't see where you are coming from. So you are saying younger people should not get involved and the committee should not disclose anything and just go ahead with their own ideas or interests. This is a time where Avondale is at a cross roads. There are numerous competing factions such as developers, council, racing enthusiasts, community etc.

THe big pity is that the track is popular with trainers to race on otherwise I would say efforts should go into finding suitable replacement location north of Auckland up to Orewa or Helensville to cater for the huge boost in population going on there plus the lifestyle blocks suitable for owner/trainers to participate.

That's exactly what I am saying.  It is up to the Members and Board of Avondale to take the course forward to where it is a commercially viable proposition.  If this is not possible, then to make the hard decision to close down the course and use the funds elsewhere.   If they are not able to do this then perhaps a new board and executive is needed.

If younger people want to get involved that's up to them.  I would suggest the first step to getting young people involved though, is getting them to a race day at a venue that does not create the impression of going back in time to the 50's.

I think you will find the track is becoming less and less popular with trainers and owners as the traffic issues become more of an issue.  I wont go to Avondale again after my last experience with traffic and facilities so that means my trainer will also not be racing my horses there.