RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore

3 hours ago, hands down said:

I think stewy had a string of very good trotters, remember one called waipouamu , not sure about fab, there were others,but i remembers those green colours , he was famous at that time, love those days.

Screws Loose, Waitaki Gamble 2 others that Stu Sutherland trained at the same time as Waipounamu!

Fab I Think was trained by Rails Brosnan when he was training at Kerrytown near Timaru?

Just now, Brodie said:

Screws Loose, Waitaki Gamble 2 others that Stu Sutherland trained at the same time as Waipounamu!

Fab I Think was trained by Rails Brosnan when he was training at Kerrytown near Timaru?

Just now, Brodie said:

yes your dead right , remember screws loose , wasnt sure about fab, just no it was the same period, what a great time to be involved with harness racing, especially the grass tracks down there ,it was a fantastic time to be involved, i remember methven , and that huge straight they had, my uncle max miller trained out of there , and moved to blenhem

19 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Fab was trained for most of his career by F P Oliver 

Richard Brosnan trained him late in his career and may have won a race with Fab - good tough horse

to right he was, richard trained out of kerrytown in those days, i sometimes wish he stayed there, i loved the no responce days, i remember the day at addington he mowed down albie logan , { ausi } lang i think, reon said in his words , albie logan into the lead , but heres no responce, hes mowing them down

1 hour ago, hands down said:

to right he was, richard trained out of kerrytown in those days, i sometimes wish he stayed there, i loved the no responce days, i remember the day at addington he mowed down albie logan , { ausi } lang i think, reon said in his words , albie logan into the lead , but heres no responce, hes mowing them down

Interdominion grand final 1979 at Addington. Commentary still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Silken also from Aussie ran 3rd 

1 minute ago, chelseacol said:

Interdominion grand final 1979 at Addington. Commentary still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Silken also from Aussie ran 3rd 

1 minute ago, chelseacol said:

me too, i love the brosnan stuff, looking at him now i just wonder why

58 minutes ago, Double R said:

Kawerau Gold,

Remember this tough horse. he used to run twice in one day as well on numerous occasions.

I have a stock of old harness annuals stashed away in storage along with numerous books produced over the years.

Going to get them out one day, and let nostalgia have its head.

4 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Remember this tough horse. he used to run twice in one day as well on numerous occasions.

I have a stock of old harness annuals stashed away in storage along with numerous books produced over the years.

Going to get them out one day, and let nostalgia have its head.

Admire in 1967 and  Kawerau Gold in 1975, both trained by Frank Oliver,  won the time honored Hannon Memorial raced on their home track of Oamaru. Fab finished third in the same race  in 1973, which was won by the Waimate trained Dreamy Morn.

6 hours ago, Double R said:

Back comes the memories. F. Oliver, trained Admire and Kawerau Gold, both who also got to around Cup Class.

Yes indeed the memories Was at Addington 1973 for the NZ Derby (I think)with two mates down from training in Wellington just for the races. Eclipse trained and driven by DD Nyhan scooted 5 lengths clear at the 400, much to the shouting of my mate who had followed it and backed it to pay for the weekend. Then at turn ran off heading for the stables. My mate was livid. The race was won by Koarakau driven by RP Nyhan and Kawerau Gold was third. 

Later that night I remember backing the trotter Mighty Dollar for $10 a place. That was a big bet for a young lad and my biggest of the night. Paid $7.70 for third so my $77 was a fortune. I think we paid around $32 return airfares from Wellington and stayed at my parents place. So at least I paid for the weekend. 

There were a lot of very good and even horses racing in that period, well my memory tells me that anyway!

It was the 1973 Derby however at that stage Doug Donaldson was training and driving. Eclipse was going absolutlely super into the final bend and Doug was said to have pulled the ear plugs too early. The horse took off and ran didn’t take the bend running to the outside fence before being straightened up. The Harness Weekly’s headline the following week was “ Koarakau wins the Derby Eclipse lost” - the winner driven by Barry Nyhan.

Eclipse was subsequently transferred to Denis Nyhan’s stable where he graduated through to Cup class.

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

It was the 1973 Derby however at that stage Doug Donaldson was training and driving

Thanks for that. With a moniker like Eclipsed you would certainly know. 

Did you follow Eclipse the horse or perhaps did you even own it?

Certainly followed him early on Harewood. Got told it at its 1st start a 2yo go at Addington with 15 runners lining up. Ran 3rd to Count Laverne who paid $60 driven by Bobby Allen. Leading up to the Derby, Eclipse's race form read 311x2113 with the 3rd in a good C5 intermediate field at Addington.

Lost well over a weeks wages on it in the Derby :(

Ah!!!!   Nostalgia!!!!!    Amazing how so many of these revered animals gain another leg over the years.       

Back to today - I wish the clubs, administrators etc. were not so besotted with "setting records" on their tracks and left the surfaces alone.     Back a few years the injuries etc. were not as prevalent as today.       Remember, if you win the NZ Cup, your name is "in the books" for ever whether you win the race going 3-55 or 4-55!!

Found one of my books. Between 1971 -76  I cannot believe how many good horses graced the open ranks or won their way up to it. When one compares it to the depth today it looks like trotting heaven in comparison.

Young Quinn, Robalan, Arapaho ,Hi Foyle, Vanadium, Royal Ascot, Speedy Guest, Manaroa, Noodlum, Final Decision, GlobeBay, Berkleigh, Sassenach, Scottish Charm, Forto Prontezza, Luna Chance, Adios Adieu, etc.   No wonder I loved going to Hutt Park.

I think why there is not the depth in the open ranks these days is because there is more emphasis racing for the bigger money as youngsters. Of the list of great horses Rees mentioned, I think,only Young Quinn raced as a two year old. Back in those days, it was thought that you had to be racing in August to be ready for the Cup. It is a different type of breed these days, and two or three runs and off to the cup. Two minutes from a stand for the first 1600, and then get your second wind and put the turbos on and run your last 1600 in 1.55. I acknowledge the tracks are better these days, but we are lucky we have champions like Lazarus and Vincent to see and compete against, and one day, perhaps beat them on their merits. It is a great game this racing one.

Cheers.

Robert.

37 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

That's right globe absolutely no depth in our open ranks anymore.

Everyone seems transfixed on mile rates and sectionals, tracks are just manicured to run fast times. Imagine what times some of the champs of the past would have run today.

..Franco Ice

3 hours ago, Double R said:

I think why there is not the depth in the open ranks these days is because there is more emphasis racing for the bigger money as youngsters. Of the list of great horses Rees mentioned, I think,only Young Quinn raced as a two year old. Back in those days, it was thought that you had to be racing in August to be ready for the Cup. It is a different type of breed these days, and two or three runs and off to the cup. Two minutes from a stand for the first 1600, and then get your second wind and put the turbos on and run your last 1600 in 1.55. I acknowledge the tracks are better these days, but we are lucky we have champions like Lazarus and Vincent to see and compete against, and one day, perhaps beat them on their merits. It is a great game this racing one.

Cheers.

Robert.

Actually Robert , 10 of those horses raced as 2 yr olds. Only Arapaho,Vanadium,Sassenach, Globe Bay,and Scottish charm didn't. Different times though.

With the Hororata Cup yesterday it was interesting going back to the 1970's and recalling some of the winners in that era. Arapaho over Robalan,  Dwayne from Royal Deeside, Local Rose from Barbara Del and probably an effort that stood out for many a year was Noble Charles winning his 2nd Hororata Cup in a row in March 1975. Unsighted since returning back from a stint with Denis Nyhan more than 3 months earlier, he came from a mile back for Keith Powell to bolt in, paying $10's