RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jess

Woodville Gone Today

There were two high weights - the opener at Trentham and the 7th at Ashurst - the boys weighed in at Trentham the drove up for their second ride - doubt if they would do it today - just not the high weight rider s like back there then

Why don't you jokers get into harness racing?  I can't recall an abandonment in recent times.  Much cheaper to race a pacer or trotter.  Stake money pretty similar.  If your horse is good enough you are a very realistic chance of being competitive!  Wake up and smell the coffee, harness racing is the future!!!

38 minutes ago, Booby Bec said:

Why don't you jokers get into harness racing?  I can't recall an abandonment in recent times.  Much cheaper to race a pacer or trotter.  Stake money pretty similar.  If your horse is good enough you are a very realistic chance of being competitive!  Wake up and smell the coffee, harness racing is the future!!!

Who let this spam on here? :)

3 hours ago, Huey said:

Why does everyone lose their head when a small club has a meeting abandoned but mull into a state of acceptance when one of the big centralised clubs with irrigation cant hold a race meeting? 

It all seems a  convenient excuse for the state nz racing is in. 

Worse still is the likes of sharrock and Pike calling for the closure of small tracks.Wonder where they both started . 

1 hour ago, Booby Bec said:

They would never do that Booby as they like having something to moan about.Us Harness folk a happy bunch,not sure we need grumpy moaning old galloping people bringing our sport down.Leave them to their own.:ph34r:

Racing a harness horse would be like admitting you were born in Australia, just not something you would tell anyone.

Besides all that it’s as boring as batshit.

Pirongia - Boxing Day :P

The annual Pirongia picnic meeting, held around a golf course near Hamilton, had to be cancelled on race morning yesterday (Boxing Day).

A lengthy dry spell followed by overnight rain meant the once-a-year circuit was too slippery for racing and it had to be abandoned.

8 hours ago, CommonSensical said:

I'm a bit confused haven't most of the abandoned meetings this summer been on irrigated tracks?  

My opinion too. I think it would make very little difference if Woodville was irrigated or not. It seems very few meetings are going ahead when there is rain about, irrigated or not.

13 hours ago, puha said:

Worse still is the likes of sharrock and Pike calling for the closure of small tracks.Wonder where they both started . 

I saw a recent article on Sharrock abusing the track situation in NZ. Cried about the costs to his owners yesterday. Wants 4 "super tracks". That label in itself is hilarious. Rambled on about moving north or to Oz. Also said any track WITHOUT irrigation needs to be scrapped.

About 12 months ago Sharrock was stating he was off to Oz and looking at potential properties. He has also said in the past we should NOT irrigate tracks! 

I say help him move to Oz - less centralisation, less irrigated tracks, and higher costs for owners. 

Question: why were there such healthy fields and so many top trainers travelling from all over the North Island to race at Woodville yesterday??? Probably because its a very good track!

2 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

I saw a recent article on Sharrock abusing the track situation in NZ. Cried about the costs to his owners yesterday. Wants 4 "super tracks". That label in itself is hilarious. Rambled on about moving north or to Oz. Also said any track WITHOUT irrigation needs to be scrapped.

About 12 months ago Sharrock was stating he was off to Oz and looking at potential properties. He has also said in the past we should NOT irrigate tracks! 

I say help him move to Oz - less centralisation, less irrigated tracks, and higher costs for owners. 

Question: why were there such healthy fields and so many top trainers travelling from all over the North Island to race at Woodville yesterday??? Probably because its a very good track!

I agree with what you say TT We have raced for decades without irrigation and produced absolute champions , Watched an interview with Michael Pitman and Andre Neil where Andre asked Pity what was the biggest problem with NZ racing He immediately said irrigation of tracks! the systems used for irrigation had stuffed most of the major tracks , they now have no root system , the roots go along the top of the ground rather than downwards looking for water which causes a hard pan which the roots sit on . Irrigation is so inconsistent with the natural drainage  of tracks making water run to the inside , water sprays overlap so you get so many inconsistent areas which has got to be dangerous Surely? All this creates biased tracks , Creating tracks that punters are reluctant to bet on 

I remember a quote from  Waterhouse "Our worst Sydney track for bias was Gosford. The course curator was sacked and God was placed in charge. Within a short period the track was perfect. God was free."

Woodville is probably a very good track but the whole area has been in a drought and then to cop some rain on the day is unfortunate. I would say Awapuni has got a few more issues than Woodville! and Otaki flies to bits at the drop of a hat . 

All through the Xmas/New Year period we had meetings that could only muster about 50 horses for 8 races. The numbers were pathetic. And now Sharrock has a whinge about Woodville being called off?! Since Dec 21 I can count 13 meetings that were held at courses he is very happy to take his horses to. And now Woodville is the "last straw"?? Was Woodville their "grand final" (that over used and ridiculous comment a couple of trainers cough up)??? If so then Woodville must in fact be a pretty good place to run your horses! Talk about contradiction city.

3 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

All through the Xmas/New Year period we had meetings that could only muster about 50 horses for 8 races. The numbers were pathetic. And now Sharrock has a whinge about Woodville being called off?! Since Dec 21 I can count 13 meetings that were held at courses he is very happy to take his horses to. And now Woodville is the "last straw"?? Was Woodville their "grand final" (that over used and ridiculous comment a couple of trainers cough up)??? If so then Woodville must in fact be a pretty good place to run your horses! Talk about contradiction city.

It's interesting to note that the wind about the state of our tracks and abandonments seems to be blowing from a similar direction to that which insisted that all available funding and more that we don't even have should go to stakes instead of track infrastructure. That goes back to a recent time when racing pretty much paid its way. Now they want to blow another $40-50 million on new tracks when racing doesn't earn enough to maintain one of them, let alone pay for them. You can only spend it once guys and now there's nothing being earned left to spend.

I don't think Arithmetic was their strong point Leggy, borrowing against reserves was dangerous, if there was a board and shareholders it would never have been allowed, if the CEO was truly accountable and had to wear the repercussions such as Coles and Myer, etc in Oz and most of the 'big fella' companies here, I bet it wouldn't have happened! Mr Allen and the NZRB will drift off into the sunset once it implodes, you watch.

9 minutes ago, Patiti said:

Clubs will end up like bowling clubs and be forced to amalgamate or die.

Trentham sold a lot of their land and has that helped surrounding clubs or improved their facilities.

I think not.

Can't see any relationship between amalgamation and dying or not Patiti. Amalgamate 4 or 5 clubs that are earning half enough revenue to cover their costs and you end up with one big hole instead of 4 or 5 smaller ones.

Guest 2Admin2
52 minutes ago, Leggy said:

It's interesting to note that the wind about the state of our tracks and abandonments seems to be blowing from a similar direction to that which insisted that all available funding and more that we don't even have should go to stakes instead of track infrastructure. That goes back to a recent time when racing pretty much paid its way. Now they want to blow another $40-50 million on new tracks when racing doesn't earn enough to maintain one of them, let alone pay for them. You can only spend it once guys and now there's nothing being earned left to spend.

I agree Leggy it is a death rattle driven by the very people that created the mess.  Something stinks in Denmark.

I believe if racing in NZ is to survive then we now need every track and passionate volunteer we can muster.  Also some planned management.

We need to drop our fixation on on course attendance and focus on providing facilities for horses and tracks to race on.

7 minutes ago, Patiti said:

Clubs will end up like bowling clubs and be forced to amalgamate or die.

Trentham sold a lot of their land and has that helped surrounding clubs or improved their facilities.

I think not.

Trentham had to sell land to repay debt run up by Race who built a $9M conference centre at Awapuni but did not have the money to pay for the loan which they obtained to fund it.

Prior to that Trentham went broke so joined Race and appointed two idiots to The Race Board who contributed significantly to Trentham's demise.So it was hardly a surprise when Race went belly up. 

32 minutes ago, bloke said:

Trentham had to sell land to repay debt run up by Race who built a $9M conference centre at Awapuni but did not have the money to pay for the loan which they obtained to fund it.

Prior to that Trentham went broke so joined Race and appointed two idiots to The Race Board who contributed significantly to Trentham's demise.So it was hardly a surprise when Race went belly up. 

And these people want country clubs that have been a major part of their communities for well over a hundred years to just surrender and and hand over whatever resources they have accumulated to these said fools ?

14 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

I agree Leggy it is a death rattle driven by the very people that created the mess.  Something stinks in Denmark.

I believe if racing in NZ is to survive then we now need every track and passionate volunteer we can muster.  Also some planned management.

We need to drop our fixation on on course attendance and focus on providing facilities for horses and tracks to race on.

Passionate volunteers are a dying breed through the lack of gratitude and ridicule  from the very people whom they are giving their time to help.

Tracks!  We waste to much time and money on these morons who sit in their offices at a computer all day calling themselves turf experts  they have got to keep coming up with stupid ideas and pathetic reasons for "improving " our tracks otherwise we wouldn't pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars its bullshit! Get Back To Basics! our tracks are what they are , Our climate is what it is so lets just live with it , if it means putting sheep on your race track to improve the soil and root structure will lets do it,  can't be any worse than what we got now . I think Murray Mexted said about the poor condition rugby pitch grasses that were ripping up at every scrum "IF ITS NOT ROOTED ITS ROOTED"  

Smaller Racing clubs need their one day in the sun (Usually Cup Day) put a huge effort into that I think its worth it for the industry , Clubs then must operate like a business to keep their heads above water, all parts of their operation must break even or make money so they can provide facilities for horses and tracks to race on if you are not making money then there is no money to spend on facilities or tracks , common sense would tell you that your Farming operation your training operation your catering/Function hire operation etc.  all must perform  if not Fix it or dump it , that's business