RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jess

Woodville Gone Today

22 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Surely the big question is what was done to mitigate against this happening. This possibility has been obvious for days. I really think is the worst one so far this year.

For sure...we down south have dealt with a few recently too...human error certainly came into things -although not for all - but when a wee club like Reefton can struggle through weeks of drought,  and still produce a usable safe track,  this is just too predictable and too stupid for words.

This meeting was traditionally held at Trentham on this Monday for as long as I can remember! 

I cant go back prior to the Second World War. 

The decision to remove it was the Dates Committee of the NZRB who think the old timers were wrong and that betting would be much improved by moving it. 

You see they have all sorts of “models” that they use to arrive at a decision, then they go to the clubs and say, “we are moving this date to such and such because we know best”. 

What they forget is that the old timers new about weather patterns, tracks that were still safe irrespective of the weather or irrigation because of positive camber etc. 

See what fools they are and how foolish we were to give all the authority to the young university graduates of the NZRB lead by Bankers, Postmen etc. 

4 minutes ago, bloke said:

Does Woodville have irrigation? 

No irrigation at Woodville but don't worry, NZTR have consulted NIWA and we should be all good to go Thursday.

Good Afternoon

The Woodville-Pahiatua meeting has been re-scheduled for Thursday 25 January. The original fields will remain with all scratchings re-instated. The first race will be at 12.10pm with the last at 4.50pm. NZTR made this decision after consulting with the club and regional programming chairman. NZTR requested  a forecast from NIWA specifically for Woodville. Their information for Thursday gave NZTR confidence to proceed with the meeting.

8 minutes ago, Insider said:

This meeting was traditionally held at Trentham on this Monday for as long as I can remember! 

The decision to remove it was the Dates Committee of the NZRB who think the old timers were wrong and that betting would be much improved by moving it. 

You see they have all sorts of “models” that they use to arrive at a decision, then they go to the clubs and say, “we are moving this date to such and such because we know best”. 

What they forget is that the old timers new about weather patterns, tracks that were still safe irrespective of the weather or irrigation because of positive camber etc. 

See what fools they are and how foolish we were to give all the authority to the young university graduates of the NZRB lead by Bankers, Postmen etc. 

In days gone by Wellington raced on Anniversary Day at Trentham and there were also races at Awapuni/Woodville the same day. The Ashurst-Pohingina Cup was the feature and always had a pretty good field.

Dont worry, it will be out to $80b at the next election.

Does anyone honesly think Labour would have survived 9yrs through the GFC and 2 major disasters and kept the debt at that level?.

The $40b is a drop in the ocean on a world scale and when compared to the economic growth over the 9yrs its all relative.

1 hour ago, puha said:

Why do they  schedule meetings in the middle of summer at venues that can’t irrigate . Surely Woodville is better utilised outside this timeframe .

I'm a bit confused haven't most of the abandoned meetings this summer been on irrigated tracks?  

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Trentham and Ashurst both used to race on this day Insider. This meeting was never held at Trentham.

This is the way I see it is:

Trentham has always raced on Anniversary Monday until just two or three years ago.

The day/date was then transferred  to Woodville.

Trentham then got three Saturdays in row such as last year and this year, maybe even the year before.

Ashurst - Pohingina also raced on Anniversary Monday until about twenty five years ago!!!

I will be amazed if they have raced at Awapuni on Anniversary Monday since they got merged in with Manawatu then RACE.

55 minutes ago, CommonSensical said:

I'm a bit confused haven't most of the abandoned meetings this summer been on irrigated tracks?  

Maybe but today’s probably was because of the lack irrigation and if the mandate is for tracks to be produced on the morning  as a dead 4 it failed as well . Woodville is a   Good winter surface IMO 

With the advent of OSH and the Practices of Worksafe there will never be any chances taken re Jockey safety. Like it or not the RIU will pull the plug at even the slightest possibilty of danger to horse and Riders. The old days and ways are over.

21 minutes ago, puha said:

Maybe but today’s probably was because of the lack irrigation and if the mandate is for tracks to be produced on the morning  as a dead 4 it failed as well . Woodville is a   Good winter surface IMO 

Who set this mandate up was it Trainers , Owners , NZ racing or H & S?   What confuses me is 25 years ago or even less No Mandates , No Irrigation, No Abandonments?

7 minutes ago, CommonSensical said:

Who set this mandate up was it Trainers , Owners , NZ racing or H & S?   What confuses me is 25 years ago or even less No Mandates , No Irrigation, No Abandonments?

..and No Workplace Health & Safety?

3 hours ago, hesi said:

The new minister has dropped off the radar 

Can't recall seeing a statement or press release since his appointment

No different from a whole raft of racing ministers in the past 20-30 years Hesi, regardless of who's in power.I don't recall much watering 40-50 years ago when the biggest and best meetings were held over summer and the tracks were generally rated hard and fast, easy, soft or heavy.  Not so many meetings admittedly but field of eight or less were very rare.

to be fair my understanding was that we had to get irrigation on all tracks.  Maybe I misheard or misunderstood but certainly at Reefton we have K line and it has opened my eyes a bit in the last few weeks hearing about so many tracks with no irrigation facilities.  Having no irrigation is worse than too much surely.

Guest 2Admin2
15 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

to be fair my understanding was that we had to get irrigation on all tracks.  Maybe I misheard or misunderstood but certainly at Reefton we have K line and it has opened my eyes a bit in the last few weeks hearing about so many tracks with no irrigation facilities.  Having no irrigation is worse than too much surely.

Only if the soil is stuffed and you don't want to race on a G2 or better.  If the soil is ok and the grass not lack then a shower or three on a G2 won't go slippery.

4 hours ago, Insider said:

This is the way I see it is:

Trentham has always raced on Anniversary Monday until just two or three years ago.

The day/date was then transferred  to Woodville.

Trentham then got three Saturdays in row such as last year and this year, maybe even the year before.

Ashurst - Pohingina also raced on Anniversary Monday until about twenty five years ago!!!

I will be amazed if they have raced at Awapuni on Anniversary Monday since they got merged in with Manawatu then RACE.

Is it that long ago that both meetings were on Anniversary Monday? Seems like yesterday, I must have gotten old.