RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Treat

Sales

They are pretty addictive watching alright - next best thing if you can't make it there (and safer because you can gesticulate and carry on in the safety of your lounge without risking getting some half million dollar piece of horseflesh knocked down to you ...

No doubt I will once more grit my teeth when I hear K F-E chattering on about Te Akau like she's an independent expert voice on the matter - and the camera zooming in on hubby as he places his bids by doing his winking buddah thing .. all the while as K F-E fawns over the icon of the NZ bidder's bench .... 

Sorry to sound churlish folks. Good luck to both of them - they play their parts in the industry.  I just don't like conflicts of interest and wish the gene pool for some of these roles was a little bigger .... 

On 1/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, jess said:

They are pretty addictive watching alright - next best thing if you can't make it there (and safer because you can gesticulate and carry on in the safety of your lounge without risking getting some half million dollar piece of horseflesh knocked down to you ...

No doubt I will once more grit my teeth when I hear K F-E chattering on about Te Akau like she's an independent expert voice on the matter - and the camera zooming in on hubby as he places his bids by doing his winking buddah thing .. all the while as K F-E fawns over the icon of the NZ bidder's bench .... 

Sorry to sound churlish folks. Good luck to both of them - they play their parts in the industry.  I just don't like conflicts of interest and wish the gene pool for some of these roles was a little bigger .... 

Jess 

You find the sales addictive watching as do I. Whether you like Te Akau or not they have sponsored coverage since they have been shown

live on TV and maybe without their initial sponsorship initiative we may not have the option of many hours of live viewing.

Your criticism is totally unwarranted. A bit like watching the Olympics and complaining about the Coke Cola or Heineken marketing.

12 minutes ago, patrick said:

Jess 

You find the sales addictive watching as do I. Whether you like Te Akau or not they have sponsored coverage since they have been shown

live on TV and maybe without their initial sponsorship initiative we may not have the option of many hours of live viewing.

Your criticism is totally unwarranted. A bit like watching the Olympics and complaining about the Coke Cola or Heineken marketing.

Without wanting to speak for Jess I think you may have missed the point. 

1 hour ago, tonkatime said:

Without wanting to speak for Jess I think you may have missed the point. 

Correct, Tonka.

Probably a waste of time responding to Patrick - but in brief:- the worst thing about conflicts of interest is those which aren't declared.  It's not a matter of whether or not I "like" the studs or the individuals.   I think your analogy is a poor one - comparing apples and oranges. 

However I'm sure Te Akau appreciate your consistency and loyalty in leaping to their defence in your few contributions here on the cafe.

Cafers generally work things out for themselves - in terms of their views of posts - and of posters....

Rgds, J  

Guys, we are all on the same boat generally being either breeders and / or owners.

We all benefit if our industry is promoted and believe me it needs as much promotion as it can get given how it has been run by the powers that be.

The industry needs new owners which is what people who syndicate horses find. Some love it and become owners for life. Some get burnt and don't come back. Some start with one stable and end up having horses in others for life. 

So I commend 'all' those that take the risk to purchase horses and then go about syndication.

Breeders need new owners that aspire to win the big races and have some fun along the way.

Good on any of those who promote the racing industry. 

I applaud anyone's success. Best of luck to all owners,trainers,and breeders who have a horse in this weekends big races. 

Really glad we now have a $1m 1600m race for 3yo's as the 2yo's does tend to favour an Aussie breed horse. Hopefully I am wrong and it is NZ bred horses that win both.

15 hours ago, jess said:

Correct, Tonka.

Probably a waste of time responding to Patrick - but in brief:- the worst thing about conflicts of interest is those which aren't declared.  It's not a matter of whether or not I "like" the studs or the individuals.   I think your analogy is a poor one - comparing apples and oranges. 

However I'm sure Te Akau appreciate your consistency and loyalty in leaping to their defence in your few contributions here on the cafe.

Cafers generally work things out for themselves - in terms of their views of posts - and of posters....

Rgds, J  

I am not defending Te Akau. I merely responded as I did last year that to get coverage of the sales as we do which is very well presented and captures the theatre in comparison to the one camera boring coverage of Magic Millions for example,albeit live streamed.If having to put up with Ellis and KFE then so be it. My point is that I am so appreciative of the coverage we get. Hopefully you enjoy Moodys contribution this year.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, patrick said:

I am not defending Te Akau. I merely responded as I did last year that to get coverage of the sales as we do which is very well presented and captures the theatre in comparison to the one camera boring coverage of Magic Millions for example,albeit live streamed.If having to put up with Ellis and KFE then so be it. My point is that I am so appreciative of the coverage we get. Hopefully you enjoy Moodys contribution this year.

Having watched the wonderful coverage of the sales on channel 263, I am wondering if anyone else observed how many of lots of Cambridge Stud were given short auction bidding times?

Cheers.

Robert

It was great watching and thanks to those that put in the dollars to provide the pop up channel. I loved the commentary although missed a horse I wanted to see through the ring but thought if it meant that much I would've gone to Karaka in person - it was fab coverage roll on next year!! Loved the Moody snippets and the commentary provided by Aussie chap Anderson.

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Having watched the wonderful coverage of the sales on channel 263, I am wondering if anyone else observed how many of lots of Cambridge Stud were given short auction bidding times?

Cheers.

Robert

Actually I noticed that and was surprised.  

I have noticed disparities in the past in this sort of thing - basically how hard the auctioneers are really trying - but in years gone by the biggest difference has been when it came to the small players and "nobodies" compared with the big studs.  I thought I could see a different approach in the sales ring and a different approach when it came to the auctioneers inspecting or familiarising themselves with the lots prior to the sale. 

I didn't expect to see Cambridge appearing to get a bit of the treatment in the ring  ...  

46 minutes ago, jess said:

Actually I noticed that and was surprised.  

I have noticed disparities in the past in this sort of thing - basically how hard the auctioneers are really trying - but in years gone by the biggest difference has been when it came to the small players and "nobodies" compared with the big studs.  I thought I could see a different approach in the sales ring and a different approach when it came to the auctioneers inspecting or familiarising themselves with the lots prior to the sale. 

I didn't expect to see Cambridge appearing to get a bit of the treatment in the ring  ...  

Hi Jess,

I am glad someone else observed that as well. It really did make feel there was discrimination against some of Cambridge Stud's lower priced lots. It was as though all Auctioneers had been told to get their lots out of the ring as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Robert.

I'm not sure it is deliberate bias one way or the other. On CS lower priced lots the auctioneers are probably realising that no amount of extra time will achieve what CS wants so they just "cut it short"  and leave the haggling to occur outside the ring, if it is to occur.

Hi Breeder ... yep I've refrained from commenting on the possible reason for the phenomenon because I simply don't know.  But it did seem to be a pattern.

Not sure re Power?  Be interested to hear views of others.

But my goodness there were a lot of Tavistocks - must've been 90-100 entered at Karaka alone!  Just amazing how many mares these studs can seem to manage by natural service ...

3 hours ago, Breeder said:

Power yearlings did not seem very popular. Anyone got any ideas on why this is the case?

Not sure but..... served 76,66,84 from 2013 then 167 in 2016 that's a massive jump - maybe just not enough form to go for big money but remember how you could buy a Tavistock for little money early on?  He's only had 6 to race in Aussie, Caricature ran well today.

3 hours ago, jess said:

But my goodness there were a lot of Tavistocks - must've been 90-100 entered at Karaka alone!  Just amazing how many mares these studs can seem to manage by natural service ...

I think there were about 120 Tavistocks in Book 1/2 combined yet from similar foal crops there were only 9 Swiss Ace yearlings presented in the 2 sales. Why would that be? 

1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

I think there were about 120 Tavistocks in Book 1/2 combined yet from similar foal crops there were only 9 Swiss Ace yearlings presented in the 2 sales. Why would that be? 

Tavistock didn't even make the top 100 sires in Australia last season and is currently 179 th on the list....?????

8 hours ago, Breeder said:

I'm not sure it is deliberate bias one way or the other. On CS lower priced lots the auctioneers are probably realising that no amount of extra time will achieve what CS wants so they just "cut it short"  and leave the haggling to occur outside the ring, if it is to occur.

You might be right, but feel that each horse should be given their time, and not assume extra time would not achieve any extra bids. Not only are they short changing the vendor, but their employer as well.

Cheers.

Robert.

16 minutes ago, Double R said:

You might be right, but feel that each horse should be given their time, and not assume extra time would not achieve any extra bids. Not only are they short changing the vendor, but their employer as well.

Cheers.

Robert.

How many dummy bids do you want Robert before time is called. Problem is there is no point prolonging the agony when there is not a single genuine bid. They no doubt have a protocol of so many dummy bids to try and suck somebody in but if there are no suckers then flag it away. However the system works, I would certainly want Steve Davis selling my yearling, or Morgan, rather than the rest of the bored?/disinterested?/humourless? lot.