RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ngatimaru

windsucker

This site has a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people on it/contributors.

Name the best windsucker that YOU know of.

I don’t know of a good one, but I maybe having a memory lapse.

Come in P for P as you have more experience than me.

1 minute ago, Insider said:

Our best so far was Intransigent. S.L

Personally find the things extremely annoying as an owner ... have been good ones however ... had one which won a few races - better than average but no champ.

Jury's out if a mare - whether it "teaches" its foals to do likewise.  I had a mare who winduscked - none of the foals I bred from her have ever done it but a couple did like a nibble on a wooden rail ... (like plenty of others).

Of course it is considered a vice - needs to be declared if the horse is sold at any stage - and for many it is an absolute no-no and a deal breaker. 

6 hours ago, TurnipOrange said:

As long as they have good condition no problem, Bahnhof Zoo was a wind sucker!

Good point TurnipO - quite a few owners will report they are hard to keep condition on ... I guess they spend a lot of time hanging off a rail, stable door or trough -  whatever they can find.  And some will suggest the ingestion of all that air reduces appetite ... and that they have a nervous disposition in any case which is tied up with the habit  etc

I remember someone telling me about a horse which they were trying to prevent windsucking so they eliminated all the surfaces he could use and then saw the horse latchonto his own knee and start gulping!  Have never seen it myself but always remember the tale the odl fella told me ...   

On 17/01/2018 at 7:35 PM, Insider said:

We did have a reasonable one many years ago called All in Time, he won a fair numbe of races and was a bastard of a windsucker 

On 19/01/2018 at 5:57 PM, Shad said:

It it similar habit to horses that weave, a friend had a nervy horse, as soon as he was on float be shaking like a leif, by the time you got to the races, he would be a lather of sweat.

We had a very bad stall weaver, it was 100 percent boredom.  A plastic coke bottle hanging from the roof of his box gave him something else to do and he stopped weaving.  He won 11 and two of those were Group 1's

8 hours ago, Tomjr said:

We had a very bad stall weaver, it was 100 percent boredom.  A plastic coke bottle hanging from the roof of his box gave him something else to do and he stopped weaving.  He won 11 and two of those were Group 1's

Thats an amazing achievement.

10 hours ago, Tomjr said:

Love it...that’s an old bushies trick.   They were a lot more inventive back then...(necessity being the mother of invention)

On 1/18/2018 at 5:34 PM, ngatimaru said:

I can't place any at Ray Verners when I was there.

But I remember Springlo

Appollo Eleven & Mandela were.

I have a vague recollection that Commodore Roberts was a windsucker but he definitely had a big wound in his neck where he was staked as a baby. Didn't stop him becoming a handy horse though. Re weavers, a bag of hay like a boxing bag was fairly common many years ago for something to play with to break the boredom that seemed to be the cause of weaving. Don't see many weavers these days.