RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Commentators - genuinely good blokes

I have never met one of those Commentators who is not a great bloke.  From Jack O'Donnell to Reon to Tom Wood and T Lee, Jason Teaz and now the new crop Mark McNamara and Matthew Cross.  every single one a personable easy going good fella.

A couple of incidences involving my kids in the last ten days illustrated this so well.  At Greymouth last week a mutual friend took the two of them (21 and 16) along with two or three others to meet Matt who was doing TV work that day.  He spent at least 15 minutes with them discussing all manner of topics including TV, little Irish jockeys, the way their father reacts when one of his bets looks likely to win and whatever else.

Then yesterday I offer to take the younger one and a friend to the commentary box so they could watch Mark strut his stuff.  Twenty minutes later I find them still there having this time dissected the intricacies of the Molloy family and notable members thereof, again little irish jockeys, silly songs from years ago, what big races he commentates and God knows what else.  To be fair the 16 year old has a fair bit of Molloy yap so Mark would not have needed to lead the conversation and appeared to be enjoying it but things like that live with kids and they will remember an encounter with the faces (and voices) of NZ Racing.  When I pointed out exactly how big those races are Mark calls 16 year old said ' he wasn't very skitey about it'

My kids have little real interest in racing other than that created by their father's obsession and the time these guys took when they could have said 'look i'm a bit busy' was really appreciated.  I know those guys read racecafe even if they cannot participate so a shout out to them in thanks for giving a bit of time to a group of kids.  

My kids are lucky I guess to get access to those people but NZ Racing might have grabbed a couple more devotees through the good sociable attitude of two of its stars. 

Well spoken there TOM....yes these commentators [and TV presenters] are the shop window of the sport/industry and usually have outgoing or strong personalities along with a passion for racing.

Unfortunately ,for years now several have been the subject of insults and personal abuse on here ...totally uncalled for IMO.

Commentating in particular is extremely difficult and takes great skill and years of practice to perfect.

And generally we are very well served in NZ.

I lost Thomas on Brisbane Cup day at Eagle Farm in 2001, had Kaapstad Way in.

Colleen and I couldnt locate him, but he had made his way up to the commentary box to see Wayne Wilson and spent the day with him.

He was made most welcome, and through those beginnings, he has forged his career.

15 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Colleen and I couldnt locate him, but he had made his way up to the commentary box to see Wayne Wilson and spent the day with him.

He was made most welcome, and through those beginnings, he has forged his career.

Another example - there you go.  Greg Radley is another example of a top bloke I had forgotten about - he came to the Coast commentating years ago.  They arranged a scenic tour of the Coast for him but his response 'find me a pub with a TAB and I'll be happy'

As good a bloke in person as he appears on TV

I always dreamed of being a commentator as a kid since I first heard Reon on the radio - hooked. As a 12 year old he invited me (by letter on 3ZB letterhead - still got it) to come to the commentary box next time I was on course.

I of course chose Cup Week in ChCh when no doubt he was flat out - not that you would have known it from how he looked after me - here I am 40 years later still hooked on the game punting and owning etc etc

Good to hear the tradition continues

What a lovely story, in life, it is all about the next generation and sharing the knowledge is what it is all about. I have played snooker for most of my life and I am only to happy to share my knowledge and show players what they are doing wrong etc. It gives me great satisfaction to see players improve and also the delight they get from trying new shots etc and every sport needs the next generation coming through. I take my hat off to all those that give of their time.

2 minutes ago, porky said:

I respect all the commentators and track side staff...@ school I wanted to be a commentator, may well have had the memory required then

for the runners/ colours / jocks aboard etc

I" m blown away at the instant recall of previous race details they posses.

So am I.  Had a go at it one day at the trials 30 years ago and until you have had a crack you do not appreciate exactly how tough it is.

On 17 January 2018 at 8:26 AM, Chris Wood said:

Wayne Wilson - was a true gentleman, so Tom was in good company.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:24 AM, porky said:

I respect all the commentators and track side staff...@ school I wanted to be a commentator, may well have had the memory required then

for the runners/ colours / jocks aboard etc

I" m blown away at the instant recall of previous race details they posses.

cant agree about the race callers, you either are or not, we have only one decent broadcaster in this country, and hes an australian,our nth islander callers are totaly shocking, we have a couple good ones dpwn, its never been the same since reon and peter kelly finished, mark has repaired some of the damage, but god help us if he ended up returning to flemington, tha tab would be silly enough to fly simons down on na day to day, thats the day i turn the tv off, radio too.

Interesting the commentary on the first race at invercargill today, the general thoughts were that wild jacks run was huge and he was unlucky, the winner sat 3 wide the whole 2100m journey, only just got there, but i thought that run was the most impressive of the race given the amount of territory he covered.