RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chelseacol

Wellington Cup Day

well - Flights and hotel booked - looking forward to a big weekend in Wellington.

A few questions/observations to get the interest going...

1. I see a bit of rain in the forecast - any locals with a view as to whether or not I should be considering slow track form in my early bets ?

2. Would Kawi be better placed in the mile rather than Telegraph ? I guess the trainer has more clues than me ;-)

3. Would having half the field in the Telegraph with the same first letter of their name be a record ? Maybe the TAB should run an option - I'm in as Start Wondering is my one at this stage.

4. I really like Patrick Erin as a progressive type and have had the pleasure to see him in the flesh a few times - hope he wins the Cup for the South. But carrying 6kg more than just about all the rest is a heck of an ask stepping up from open hdcp races down south against Motorbike Mike etc (no slur intended)

5. I'm thinking of buying members tickets for the day - anyone got a view on any of the other hospitality packages being a better go/or worth the extra spend (my partner and me rather than a bunch of blokes !)?

Col

16 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

well - Flights and hotel booked - looking forward to a big weekend in Wellington.

1. I see a bit of rain in the forecast - any locals with a view as to whether or not I should be considering slow track form in my early bets ?

2. Would Kawi be better placed in the mile rather than Telegraph ? I guess the trainer has more clues than me ;-)

3. Would having half the field in the Telegraph with the same first letter of their name be a record ? Maybe the TAB should run an option - I'm in as Start Wondering is my one at this stage.

4. I really like Patrick Erin as a progressive type and have had the pleasure to see him in the flesh a few times - hope he wins the Cup for the South. But carrying 6kg more than just about all the rest is a heck of an ask stepping up from open hdcp races down south against Motorbike Mike etc (no slur intended)

5. I'm thinking of buying members tickets for the day - anyone got a view on any of the other hospitality packages being a better go/or worth the extra spend (my partner and me rather than a bunch of blokes !)?

Col

Kawi has been working well Col and obviously been set for the race. I like Packing Eagle personally, though a tough race and rain would not suit either. The Thorndon looks a match between Hiflyer and Love Affair, and the Cup field must be the worst for a long time. Alinko Prince maybe and I'll be interested to see if Model Aye goes there, distance should suit.

Insider would be your best bet for where to go on the day....I'm sure she will respond shortly....;)

34 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Col

1- I hope not as Savvy Dreams doesnt like it wet - but I don't think there is enough rain in the forecast assume worse than Dead4 tbh

2- I reckon he is far better off in the Thorndon and am glad he's not in there

4 - totally unfair weight - Im on Magic Chai at $21

5- the restuarent can be a good deal due to you getting a seat all day with a good view and a good meal - pricey on Cup Day and may be all booked - other than that id just do members and save the money for wine ;-)

see you there - ill be the guy in a leg cast :-D

4 Patrick Erin is the worst placed horse going around at the moment. I've said that before on here and been chastised.  Good luck to connections but you have to wonder how much it will be punished at its current rating should win.

Lay of the day for me

Where you want to back your South islanders is the Telegraph - Stravioa at $14 and Carnival at an incredible $61

Ive got some multis going through those two with Magic Chai at $21 and Savvy Dreams at a very nice $31 (got some on her at $41 too)

5 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Col

Hi Chelseacol,

If it’s not too late book a terrace restaurant table now, irrespective of the cost, it will be well worth it. 

The rain coming, if it is as forecast will only help the track, so plan for a dead 4 track, at worst (hopefully) or a dead 5 as per last Saturday, and you saw how beautifully that played. 

I am in Christchurch all this week so I am sorry I can’t keep you right up to date with what’s happening weather wise, other than checking on the Trentham weather site. It’s a beauty so check it out yourself on the web.

Regarding winners I prefer to wait until the drawers are out, but surely the Pike Stable luck will change and winners will come with a rush. Maybe it will be this Saturday with a Cup/Telegraph double. 

Liz

44 minutes ago, Insider said:

Hi Chelseacol,

If it’s not too late book a terrace restaurant table now, irrespective of the cost, it will be well worth it. 

The rain coming, if it is as forecast will only help the track, so plan for a dead 4 track, at worst (hopefully) or a dead 5 as per last Saturday, and you saw how beautifully that played. 

I am in Christchurch all this week so I am sorry I can’t keep you right up to date with what’s happening weather wise, other than checking on the Trentham weather site. It’s a beauty so check it out yourself on the web.

Regarding winners I prefer to wait until the drawers are out, but surely the Pike Stable luck will change and winners will come with a rush. Maybe it will be this Saturday with a Cup/Telegraph double. 

Liz

:blink:

5 hours ago, Tailedoff said:

1- I hope not as Savvy Dreams doesnt like it wet - but I don't think there is enough rain in the forecast assume worse than Dead4 tbh

2- I reckon he is far better off in the Thorndon and am glad he's not in there

4 - totally unfair weight - Im on Magic Chai at $21

5- the restuarent can be a good deal due to you getting a seat all day with a good view and a good meal - pricey on Cup Day and may be all booked - other than that id just do members and save the money for wine ;-)

see you there - ill be the guy in a leg cast :-D

I'll look out for you mate

Many thanks and good luck with the nice MC bet !

Col

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Hi Chelseacol,

Liz

Thanks Liz for the info

Hope you are enjoying it down here. Yes the track made fro good racing saturday - fingers crossed for a repeat 

Col

8 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

Can anyone please tell me what time the actual cup race is?

With the very full program of the Telegraph (Race of the Year) Thorndon, Desert Gold and Cup who knows when the TAB will want to run it, to maximise the betting. 

Oh and don’t forget the two top class ‘Hack Races’ the Douro Cup and the Summer Cup  

My guess is that it will be about 4.30pm, maybe up to an hour later, but who knows. 

It’s a mouth watering offering, that’s for sure. 

I am predicting that with fine weather it will be the biggest crowd for at least 10 years, because of the fact that the Sevens have left town, so the party crowd has to go somewhere, plus of course, the fantastic racing programme on offer. 

If they don’t turn up this Saturday (weather permitting) they never will. 

9 hours ago, Insider said:

With the very full program of the Telegraph (Race of the Year) Thorndon, Desert Gold and Cup who knows when the TAB will want to run it, to maximise the betting. 

Oh and don’t forget the two top class ‘Hack Races’ the Douro Cup and the Summer Cup  

My guess is that it will be about 4.30pm, maybe up to an hour later, but who knows. 

It’s a mouth watering offering, that’s for sure. 

I am predicting that with fine weather it will be the biggest crowd for at least 10 years, because of the fact that the Sevens have left town, so the party crowd has to go somewhere, plus of course, the fantastic racing programme on offer. 

If they don’t turn up this Saturday (weather permitting) they never will. 

Thanks for your response. 

5 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Last Saturday was pretty damn good too.

I was a guest of the committee and enjoyed excellent hospitality courtesy of Messrs Burrow, Coppins, Fokerd and Guppy.

Rumpers was in attendance too.

I should add the track was fair and in great condition so I’m going to mark the WRC a 9.5/10 and wish them all the best for this week.

Bet you weren't shouting Leith a beer though Leo.....;)

53 minutes ago, Mattski said:

Saville Row also has class and I think is a genuine show in the Thorndon. I also think Kawi would have better placed in that race.

Going to be a great days racing!

Absolutely agree with this Mattski - more class than most here and going back to this meeting last year he should have won the Levin Stakes over same distance (IMO).

8 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Absolutely agree with this Mattski - more class than most here and going back to this meeting last year he should have won the Levin Stakes over same distance (IMO).

Yep - Hiflyer and Saville Row scare me the most in the Thorndon - come on Savvy Dreams!

Was looking forward to 18 runners in each race to make betting all the more exciting picking some "roughies", but slightly disappointed with the number of NOMINATIONS. Largest amount of noms was 19, 18, 17, 16 and smaller.

Definitely quality over quantity for the day though...