RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Beach Racing

Ben Hope Rulz

30 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Sacrifice commingling ?

How on earth would it have anything to do with comingling?

If the the Rule was changed back to previously, you would still have comingling!

I am sure you have to finish in 1st 5 so if promoted you receive a stake then it becomes the owners/trainers call.

If the horse that causes the interference finishes 1st then the owners have to pay 2nd place out of their stake.

only when the 2 horses finish one behind the other ie 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th will the placings get changed.

so no horse other than those in the inquiry will get promoted

17 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Sacrifice commingling ?

Kotare you are correct, raceday rules changed as part of the terms to enter a commingling agreement with Aussie- basically our rules had to fall into line with Aussie set up. if HRNZ go back to old rules, commingling agreement is at risk

commingling is a massive benefit to the industry, turnovers especially when on the main racing channel in Aussie go up massively ( Cromwell grass track meeting is a good recent example)

Personally I don't have a problem with the current rules- no system will be perfect. The problem I have is with the penalties issued to guilty parties. They are too light, Ben Hope should have got a month suspension. Get tough on interference and the frequency of it happening will decrease.

21 hours ago, cantab matt said:

Kotare you are correct, raceday rules changed as part of the terms to enter a commingling agreement with Aussie- basically our rules had to fall into line with Aussie set up. if HRNZ go back to old rules, commingling agreement is at risk

commingling is a massive benefit to the industry, turnovers especially when on the main racing channel in Aussie go up massively ( Cromwell grass track meeting is a good recent example)

Personally I don't have a problem with the current rules- no system will be perfect. The problem I have is with the penalties issued to guilty parties. They are too light, Ben Hope should have got a month suspension. Get tough on interference and the frequency of it happening will decrease.

Totally agree.  The current rules create a daft "in for a penny in for a pound" incentive, so the only sensible counter-measure is to make it really expensive to respond to that incentive, i.e., lengthy suspensions.

Of course, then there'll be complaints about conservative driving.  As you say, there's no perfect system...

Firstly this is my first post on here. Ben has learnt from this drive!! He has, as he does every drive, watched the replay hundreds of times and discussed with us in detail what he did wrong, and what he will now do in the future.  Ben does feel for the connections of Laytons Lass. Both Ben and I dont agree with the rule and Ben thinks his fine, which he is paying himself btw, should be paid to the owners of the affected horse in this situation. Ben's whole life is his driving, when he make a mistake he knows it and is the first one to admit it. He is young and learning and the only way we learn is when we make a mistake. He is hard enough on himself without the likes of Who Knows and Richie knocking him on a public forum. Before you want to knock a young kid learning in an industry he loves more than anything,  just think how it affects him!!!

I believe all the mistakes he could make on a racetrack would pale in compare to a grown man rubbishing a kid under a fake name on a public forum .......

Guest 2Admin2
12 minutes ago, Nina Hope said:

Firstly this is my first post on here. Ben has learnt from this drive!! He has, as he does every drive, watched the replay hundreds of times and discussed with us in detail what he did wrong, and what he will now do in the future.  Ben does feel for the connections of Laytons Lass. Both Ben and I dont agree with the rule and Ben thinks his fine, which he is paying himself btw, should be paid to the owners of the affected horse in this situation. Ben's whole life is his driving, when he make a mistake he knows it and is the first one to admit it. He is young and learning and the only way we learn is when we make a mistake. He is hard enough on himself without the likes of Who Knows and Richie knocking him on a public forum. Before you want to knock a young kid learning in an industry he loves more than anything,  just think how it affects him!!!

I believe all the mistakes he could make on a racetrack would pale in compare to a grown man rubbishing a kid under a fake name on a public forum .......

Thanks Nina for your post and good luck to Ben.  I acknowledge your view regarding the anonymity of the knockers however there are as many supporters on this forum.

As Ben progresses in his chosen career the diverse opinions of his performance will continue.  It is part and parcel of the game as it is of any sport.  He is lucky to have a close family to support him through the handling of criticism.

7 hours ago, Nina Hope said:

Sorry Nina,and Ben if it came across as criticism of Ben,i was agreeing with the statement that i believe that Monarco needs a senior driver,nothing to do with Bens driving and it definitely not a reflection of his ability,more to do with the horse in my opinion.I actually think he drives very well but some horses just need more experienced drivers.

I have seen Ben doing interviews and i think his enthusiasm for racing is 2nd to none and i have no doubt he has a huge future in the game and i wish him all the best in the future.

Hi Nina. I'm not to sure anyone on here was knocking Ben as an individual on this topic. Good on you for coming on and saying your piece, I think you made a couple of great points. 1) You and Ben both don't agree with the rule. 2) Ben does feel for the connections of Layton's Lass. 3) Ben thinks his fine should be paid to the owners of the affected horse. I highlight these because both of you are very active in this industry and have been for a number of years, you yourself a very successful trainer/breeder/owner and Ben who I see as someone who has a big future in the industry in any branch he wishes to under take.

I think its great that you don't agree with this rule. I have spoken to other trainers and Drivers also and they agree that the current rule is wrong so if this is a general feeling amongst industry participants, why is nothing being done or said about it? Who stands up for the owners? shouldn't it be the Trainers? Without owners I dare say you don't have many horses in the barn, not to mention the punters who just had their their dosh go up in flames. Imagine if Layton's Lass was owned by a group of new owners who just joined the game and your trying to explain to them that u can pretty much knock a horse over and still win the race. Its a horrible look and in this day and age I'm sure there can be a better rule set in place.

Its nice to hear that Ben has learnt from his drive. My grandfather used to say to me “Many times what we perceive as an error or failure is actually a gift. And eventually we find that lessons learned from that experience prove to be of great worth.”  I remembered that through all my sporting days. The point I am trying to make is Im not sure just a $450 fine is the correct outcome for a situation like this. (Just My Opinion)

Bens chosen career path puts him on the front line of the Harness Racing product that gets delivered to the people at home and at the track. A lot of money has been put in by Owners and Punters, Unfortunately when money is involved and things go wrong it can bring the worst out in people. I suspect that Ben like all drivers and professional sports people will experience criticism along the road for various things, when you are in the public eye or on T.V its inevitable.

ByNina, 

That is fantastic that you have posted on here supporting Ben. I wish him all the best, thought he had been driving well. Like anyone on the track, people will always judge, both good and bad.

Only seems like yesterday that Greg was starting driving for his dad, Braedoon was my fav from when he started racing.

On 1/22/2018 at 0:31 PM, Nina Hope said:

Ben will be a great driver , he takes riskes ,around christmas he drove a couple of winners at addington,they were fantastic drives on his dads horses, took off down the back, and never looked back, reminded me of a young peter jones ,cant remember who they were , those two he drove at addington. drivers and jockeys have split seconds to make decisions , sometimes you get it right, other times its wrong , make no mistake , he is a real tallent, and you will see the best from him one day, how could he not with a family like he has, and a grand dad to boot, i bluey , he cant go wrong, hes lucky he has some good junior drivers around at the moment , seems like they are all doing well. If you are a punter , there are always moments where you wish a driver or jockey could of done it different, thats gambling as they say,listen to steve davis and just turn the page.

10 hours ago, Portfolio said:

ByNina, 

That is fantastic that you have posted on here supporting Ben. I wish him all the best, thought he had been driving well. Like anyone on the track, people will always judge, both good and bad.

Only seems like yesterday that Greg was starting driving for his dad, Braedoon was my fav from when he started racing.

I remember Greg’s first win , as would he, I geared it up...Vivid Rainbow in a boy’s race at Addington, driven to perfection.I think RJ was in one of his many stays in hospital, recuperating from a race fall around Victoria Park in Greymouth.

Ben can’t help being a good driver with his breeding and the support he has around him, all important in this game. My advice to Ben would be to listen and learn off the people who have been there and done that, anything else from other people are just opinions and we all know that everyone has one of them.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, Brodie said:

Gazza, Owners have no day whatsoever!

Up to the Stipes to call for the enquirey but wont be one unless the horse that is checked is placed in the first five!

Then it is pretty hard to prove anything!

Blatantly stupid Rule in place and needs changing!

I have question for you, you will probably no this,  because im very confused over / trotters especially who break at the start , and do so for a long period , not sure how long the rule is, but the experts say that if he or she breaks for too long they are auto disqualified for gaining ground , now when i see most who break, they seem to loose ground ,so in a nut shell , they appear to  not be going as faster as those in front, thats to me is unclear , plus when they break inside the 100 metre mark and the same, the lapped on rule applies , why is that, ive seen trotters in australia break inside the 100 , and never heard the siren go, what up with all this please ,the rules around breaking is un clear to me.

The second thing , i watched a junior drivers race at invercargil where young purvis was driving a trotter of williamsons out in front, with a lap to run she pulled the wip out and was waving it around , and the horse behind her broke, now may not of been because of the wip, but it all happened at the same time, she wouldnt of been aware of it, but she didnt use it on her horse, it was just the way she was juggling it from hand to hand, ive seen drivers do it before, especially out to there right when something comes up outside them.in the old days the wip was kept in the dust sheet , and pulled when turning for home, now i no they were the old days, but if you arnt using the wip, why wave it around , once again the punter misses out, what do you think, im not talking from my pocket, just happened to see it.

4 hours ago, CosmicBlackie said:

i dont no you guys  from a bar of soap, but i no you guys do a great job, i new bluey in blenheim when i was a young man, before i got into harness racing , so i seen the days when peter jones my favourite driver, { hands down } of course drove some of your two year olds, i no the loyalty and commitment that the hope put in, i do not like to hear people say things that are not true, i love what you are doing, great for canterburys harness racing.