RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Abandonments Release

MEDIA RELEASE - 11 JANUARY 2018

THOROUGHBRED INDUSTRY RESPONDS TO RECENT RACE ABANDONMENTS

A number of key Thoroughbred industry participants have met to discuss the recent spate of race abandonments, and how the industry can work to better manage how these are dealt with, says NZ Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) CEO, Bernard Saundry.

The meeting held yesterday included representatives from NZTR, the Racing Integrity Unit (RIU), the NZ Trainers Association, the NZ Jockeys Association, and a number of clubs, and was called after seven thoroughbred race meetings were either partly or fully abandoned since the New Year, the majority due to weather-related safety issues.

“We have experienced a disappointing start to the year, with a number of our highly popular summer meetings impacted, and only some of them able to be rescheduled,” says Mr Saundry.

“Not only is this disappointing for our race-goers who have missed out on a great day out, every lost meeting is a cost to our industry we simply can’t afford. This includes the loss of stakes to owners to the costs of transporting horses and wages for staff for days with little or no racing.

The abandonments can also affect other future races as trainers plan where and when horses run carefully and use specific races as part of the preparations for later races. This can have serious flow on effects on a horse’s eligibility for future races and accordingly may impact future field sizes.

“Yesterday’s meeting was productive, and it was heartening to see a high level of engagement from everyone as we worked together to discuss these issues,” says Mr Saundry.

“It is clear that while appropriate steps were being taken on the day to ensure the safety of our horses and jockeys, we agreed the following actions, which we aim to confirm in consultation with the wider group and to implement by March 2018:

• We will ensure there is further assessment of the 2018/19 dates calendar, which is currently out for industry consultation, with a focus on reducing the impact of events of this nature.

• Providing improved networks across the country to support Clubs and race day stewards in decision-making. These will include independent and professional advice from meteorology services to increase the opportunity to reschedule events ahead of the race day, should the weather pattern place a high risk on the meeting continuing.  

• Further coordination between the club, NZTR and the RIU to support improvements in the preparation of tracks that race infrequently or are otherwise vulnerable to adverse weather conditions to better manage their readiness for their big events.

• Improving the planning over the days and weeks leading up to the race meetings to ensure we are better prepared events including adverse weather that we have experienced over the past two weeks.

• Improving the communication protocols between NZTR, Racing Integrity Unit and Clubs and participants on track related issues. 

“Our objective will be to reduce the number of abandonments by 30% in the next calendar year with the measures and actions outlined above”

“It is clear the industry is dealing with complex infrastructure issues, and while this meeting has focussed on more immediate actions we can take, NZTR is committed to working with thoroughbred clubs and stakeholder groups, the New Zealand Racing Board (NZRB), the Harness and Greyhound racing Codes, and the Government to develop a meaningful longer-term plan,” says Mr Saundry.

Point 2 was very important.

• Providing improved networks across the country to support Clubs and race day stewards in decision-making. These will include independent and professional advice from meteorology services to increase the opportunity to reschedule events ahead of the race day, should the weather pattern place a high risk on the meeting continuing.  

In today's day and age this should be so easy to operate yet they have only just realised. I hope some trainers really told him straight. As for the "lost" stakes well pile them all up and EVENLY divide them up evenly to those owners of horses that were accepted at these abandoned meetings. Or will these stakes be noted in the budget that no one can get their hands on at the AGM??? 

To put a more positive angle on things, I am confident they can achieve their goal of reducing the number of abandonments by 30% in what I assume is the 2019 calendar year. How many have we lost already this year? About 8? So that is only just over two of those meetings that need to go off successfully next year. Still leaves almost six abandonments of course.

I am not sure how they plan "to reduce the impact of events of this nature" by managing the dates structure better. Reducing the number of meetings at Ellerslie in such a short time period I presume. At least that is one positive.

Im going to offer a solution here that no-one has apparently thought of. In future when clubs get given dates they must agree to provision for adverse weather conditions etc by having an alternative track to carry out the meeting on standby. An example that immediately comes to mind was the recent Omakau debacle with the sprinklers. If they know they have problems days out why not make them shift the meeting to Cromwell or Waikowati where infrastructure was available including TAB stuff.

Insider may be able to help but a few years back the WRC moved a group 1 meeting to the Bay 3 or so days before the meeting was due to be held due to track issues. Foxwood won the race from memory so there is the precedent

Give yourself an uppercut FTM, far too sensible for NZTR I'm afraid.  In my line of work, its IMPERATIVE to have a wet weather back up plan IN PLACE to ensure the event goes ahead...so why should this standard not apply in the NZ racing industry???

50 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

Im going to offer a solution here that no-one has apparently thought of. In future when clubs get given dates they must agree to provision for adverse weather conditions etc by having an alternative track to carry out the meeting on standby. An example that immediately comes to mind was the recent Omakau debacle with the sprinklers. If they know they have problems days out why not make them shift the meeting to Cromwell or Waikowati where infrastructure was available including TAB stuff.

Insider may be able to help but a few years back the WRC moved a group 1 meeting to the Bay 3 or so days before the meeting was due to be held due to track issues. Foxwood won the race from memory so there is the precedent

You are so correct.

The WRC raced the Captain Cook Meeting at Hastings one year as it was very obvious that the Trentham track had no chance drying. 

From memory the decision was made about 10 days out from the meeting, based on the above, and the forecast for the following 10 days  

That was before the drainage work was done about 8 years ago.

Back in those days clubs got paid on turnover, both off and on-course, so to have proceeded at Trentham with tiny fields, a big track and the commitment of still having to pay the large stakes for the Gp1 Captain Cook and the Gp2 Wellington Guineas would have been financial suicide.

The club tried to do it another time too, but Hawke’s Bay had done maintenance work on their track immediately after the Kelt. 

For the idea to work, all parties would have to work together, plan maintenance schedules etc.

I must also say that there is not the need for clubs to plan so carefully these days as they get the stakes paid in full irrespective of the size of the fields or the betting turnover. 

Clearly there is an acceptance we can't achieve minimal abandonments within a few years, so I assume the thrust will be having a Plan B - just hope it ain't centralisation, but I do feel uncomfortable ...

37 minutes ago, Insider said:

I must also say that there is not the need for clubs to plan so carefully these days as they get the stakes paid in full irrespective of the size of the fields or the betting turnover. 

Watch out, Insider, you'll be charged with bringing the industry into disrepute with forthright observations like this.

Bernard Saundry states NZTR are aiming at reducing abandonments by 30% in the NEXT Calendar Year. When they fail to achieve this no doubt they will escalate the prediction to 50% the following year. Deeds not promises please Bernard!

47 minutes ago, Insider said:

You are so correct.

The WRC raced the Captain Cook Meeting at Hastings one year as it was very obvious that the Trentham track had no chance drying. 

From memory the decision was made about 10 days out from the meeting, based on the above, and the forecast for the following 10 days  

That was before the drainage work was done about 8 years ago.

Back in those days clubs got paid on turnover, both off and on-course, so to have proceeded at Trentham with tiny fields, a big track and the commitment of still having to pay the large stakes for the Gp1 Captain Cook and the Gp2 Wellington Guineas would have been financial suicide.

The club tried to do it another time too, but Hawke’s Bay had done maintenance work on their track immediately after the Kelt. 

For the idea to work, all parties would have to work together, plan maintenance schedules etc.

Thanks for that Liz, i got the days wrong but i think everyone gets my drift. Who was running the show in those days as in Chairman CEO etc, that surely was ballsy to move it so soon even if it turned out to be the correct decision

10 minutes ago, hesi said:

Anyone know how many abandonments so far this season?

Let's say 15, with another 15 to come.  30%reduction on that is 9 meetings, hardly earth shattering

and if next year the weather is back to normal they achieve the objective without doing anything :D

1 hour ago, Fartoomuch said:

Thanks for that Liz, i got the days wrong but i think everyone gets my drift. Who was running the show in those days as in Chairman CEO etc, that surely was ballsy to move it so soon even if it turned out to be the correct decision

Again from memory, the decision was being considered by the committee from about 10 days prior to the Race Day. It was ratified at the club's Committee Meeting on the Monday and on the same day all industry participants were advised, so that when Nominations were taken the next day EVERYONE knew where they were.

Whilst the club lost money because of the shift, they didn't lose as much as they would have if they raced at Trentham and quality horses won the Group races rather than mudders.

The Chairman at the time was Ron DIxon, and the Chief Executive, Mary-Anne Evans, who in my opinion was the best that the club has had in 25/30 years. 

Mary-Anne knew how to drive the publicity. During her time the average Cup Day crowd was always 20 to 25 thousand with on-course turnover of 1.5 million and off-course 3.5 million.