RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

Choosing A Yearling

Hi all, thank you for that, yes i did notice that she was 20/20 with 'everything' and it is interesting to see the pedigrees and how they line up. Definitely taken your words on board and will definitely select a stallion 'we like' and will select from there.

From a commercial point of view (so long as the mating makes sense) go to the best proven sire that you can afford or the best first season sire, although I can’t see one of those this year on what has been announced. 

Anything spent wisely on your mare will return you well, but more importantly, it has to be for the future of the mare too. 

Good luck. 

5 minutes ago, Insider said:

From a commercial point of view (so long as the mating makes sense) go to the best proven sire that you can afford or the best first season sire, although I can’t see one of those this year on what has been announced. 

Anything spent wisely on your mare will return you well, but more importantly, it has to be for the future of the mare too. 

Good luck. 

I think that's pretty sound advice Insider ... she is a good mare and it's early in her breeding career. And although it seems dramatic signing up to 5 figure sums for a service fee - everything else costs the same however the young horse is bred ... and those costs will in many cases exceed the service fee ...

People that are breeding very moderately performed/pedigreed mares to similar profile stallions and looking to sell are trying their best to lose money, guaranteed recipe!

One can only hope that some of these bargains go on to do great things on the race track and gives their owners a real thrill !

It's like buying a lotto ticket, it lets you dream a little until the results come out.

3 minutes ago, skoozi said:

One can only hope that some of these bargains go on to do great things on the race track and gives their owners a real thrill !

It's like buying a lotto ticket, it lets you dream a little until the results come out.

Exactly, i’m talking about the breeders trying to sell them.

No reason why they wont be successful, but why breed to sell at that lowest level?, breed to race at that low level!

Yes, I understand your perspective. Sometimes it is hard to do both, let someone else pay the training costs and hopefully prove your mare, but accept the loss involved in raising and  selling at that end.

10 hours ago, BruceL said:

People that are breeding very moderately performed/pedigreed mares to similar profile stallions and looking to sell are trying their best to lose money, guaranteed recipe!

For sure....but what I can't understand,  for the life of me,  is why  [ supposedly ]  commercial breeders would spend money on travelling poorly-prepared and conformed horses to try and sell in the first place?

I commented yesterday on a youngster working itself to a frazzle  in its box,  to be told ' oh,  it's never been in a box before '  ....wtf?

Bloodstock agents and many trainers are buying for the overseas market in a lot of cases,  Asia and Australia,  where stabling 24/7 is the norm.

What is wrong with people?

What do they expect?

White Robe horses were,  as always, standouts.