RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

Choosing A Yearling

Hi i am Exquisite Jewels very proud joint owner /buyer. Unfortunately she injured her tendon again after 13months rehab and had returned to trentham for one race. She is too valuable - 8 carat family to risk again racing. She has now tested in foal positive to  stallion Power!! I am excited beyond belief.  I rushed up to buy Game Duchess when put up for sale and she was withdrawn- rest is history. I am going to this years select sale to look only......yeah right.. good luck to all. Game Duchess has a yearling in book 1 be interesting to see what it goes for. 

I’ve always stuck to “good horses come from good families”. Stand up Exquisite Jewel. Ordinary stallion but beautiful female line.

it does seem these EJ stories are not unusual here in NZ.   

15 hours ago, Tomjr said:

The best horse my family ever bred was out of a mare we were given for free and by a stallion that stood for $500 (who was a half brother to Maroof).  In saying that as a yearling this fellow stood out and had a bit of X factor about him.  Years ago at a sale I picked out a gorgeous showy colt by an unheard of stallion, he made $7000 (Maizcay ex Maire Vita), he ended up being pretty good.  Yes bargains can be found.

All In Fun by Alleged Dash won just over $1k.

A friend has a raise the flag gelding, very under rated stallion in my opinion, has had some good winners in Australia, broadside, yogi, civil disobedience, etah james and pathesia, had a few in nz raise you ten, princesses brook,flag the groom, looks like he doesn't get to many mares, but his progeny seem to stay well, and reasonably priced.

20 hours ago, Caroline said:

Hi i am Exquisite Jewels very proud joint owner /buyer. Unfortunately she injured her tendon again after 13months rehab and had returned to trentham for one race. She is too valuable - 8 carat family to risk again racing. She has now tested in foal positive to  stallion Power!! I am excited beyond belief.  I rushed up to buy Game Duchess when put up for sale and she was withdrawn- rest is history. I am going to this years select sale to look only......yeah right.. good luck to all. Game Duchess has a yearling in book 1 be interesting to see what it goes for. 

Welcome to the cafe Caroline - have followed EJ all along and sorry to hear she won't be back but she'd done enough and exciting times ahead nevertheless.

Please remind me - what was the other horse you had racing since EJ - also a filly/mare from memory?

J

21 hours ago, Caroline said:

Is Trish the other joint owner or did she just have a racing share?

Thanks yes our kate had plenty more in her racing ability and we could have raced her again -vet says..... but that would be tempting too much risk so we chose not to and have a fantastic well bred black type mare now.  that experience has hooked my involvement and love of racing and now breeding  horses even further  and going to aussie with her was a dream. She paid her own way. Yes Trish is a partner also and still is and our last mare to race and win and then knock herself....was Eternal Angel. She was bred by Trish but she has now retired too.  I have another Thano- Star Quality . A cracking looking liver chestnut. He has potential but he gets sweaty and worked up and doesnt look good but loves a fight in the race. 

Fantastic.  It's one of the reasons I try to get the "best" people to break mine in and turn them into decent horses as well (hopefully ) as racehorses - because sometimes they need that Plan B.

And my Plan B does not include going to an abattoir. 

Best of luck with the racing and breeding.  You certainly got off to a pretty good start!

J.

Woohoo thank you very much. He lives up to his name and was a beautiful little ' star 'today .- showing with beach work and ear muffs doing the trick.  I am amazed at the ease of winning with some very good horses in his race. Where to now that is fun deciding..

On 1/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, Tauhei Notts said:

Graytimo, some of those Cape Blanco's need a bit of time.  It is interesting that the staff at Phoenix Park so liked it.

How much time does one need to have.

Cape Blanco given fantastic opportunities with many group performing mares from NZ's most famous stud.

In NZ had something like 55 individual starters and not one yes not one has won more than 1 race. Only one has won more than $20,000 and thats $33,000. Several have had more than 20 starts. (N.B. probably once exported have done better I don't know.)

Has had a who who of buyers many paying six figures. Granted some looking promising e.g. Diamant ($450,000 yearling) now 4yo won 2 trials.

Yet there is one buyer conspicuous by his absence i.e. David Ellis. Maybe he figured something the other so called hotshots didn't.

Yes indeed- i know she is amazing and our wee star although her shape is now looking like a Zeppelin! Great Stuff. I am now always on the lookout with her lineage in horses that are racing and planning to buy... (as are others I suppose). And the few that have been through the recent sales - i have been outbid on, however - if Exquisite Jewel is all we have in our life and her progeny i am more than happy with that. I watched Dark Princess have a great trial win at Foxton the other day and Nabiac is another going around.

Not yet and we are looking. I have been trying out the Gold Nicks Tests and there are a few that she is 20/20 with and i have been following with great interest, comments on these pages with breeding for my education it was easy to put her to Power to begin with.

14 hours ago, Caroline said:

Yes indeed- i know she is amazing and our wee star although her shape is now looking like a Zeppelin! Great Stuff. I am now always on the lookout with her lineage in horses that are racing and planning to buy... (as are others I suppose). And the few that have been through the recent sales - i have been outbid on, however - if Exquisite Jewel is all we have in our life and her progeny i am more than happy with that. I watched Dark Princess have a great trial win at Foxton the other day and Nabiac is another going around.

Choose something you like yourself Caroline, these 20/20 nicks look a have to me, you'd have half the horse population as stakeswinners if they had any substance to them.

Agree with Huey, Caroline. I looked at the Power match --on paper it looks good. Have a chat to Mark Chitty at Haunui, both of his established stallions would give similar matches and he would have enough knowledge by now of the physical types of mare that are the most suitable for them.