RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Brown Fox

Thames

The thing that fascinates me about Thames is only two maiden races; one stayers maiden and one for 3yos over 1,200m. Tauranga and Whangarei vitually have maidens coming out their ears, horses balloted everywhere. Is Thames too precious to run maiden races or is there some other explanation? Do they only have stabling for about 60 horses so can't have more than seven races with small numbers in each? Seems really strange to me they won't want more fields and bigger fields to put on a bit of a show for the on course people.

8 minutes ago, Eastwood Jaunty said:

I have heard trainers say in the past that they don't like racing maidens at Thames because the track is usually too hard.

so true i know a few who won't go there for that reason

Surprised to note that the Thames Club seems to have forgotten that this meeting is the 150th Anniversary of Racing for their Club. Seven races only mmm! At the Centennial Meeting on 6/1/68 they ran 10 races. 152 horses started that day! Winners were Ming Rose- David Peake/Pat McIlroy. Amberlee- Greg Chitty/ Syd Sullivan. Outspan- Buzz Leggett/Jack Winder. Daiosma- John Riordan/ Des Riordan. Samurai- Roger Lang/ Dave O’Sullivan. Taxsonia- Bruce Compton/ George Cameron. Second Sight- Brian Andrews/ Dave O’Sullivan. E Timi- Ron Taylor/Norm Crawford. Kalgoorlie- Barry Long/Jim Hely. Yuma- Bruce Compton/Jim Gibbs. Not a bad collection of jockeys and trainers!

Note that prior to 1868 Sports Racing was conducted at Tararu then Parawai. The Waikato Calvary Races were conducted at Parawai on 30/3/1880. The main race of the day was the Thames Cup Handicap of 10 Sovereigns. Three times around the course! 4 starters competed. Emu won by three lengths from Sweetbriar. Eclipse and Snowstorm were pulled up.

50 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Note that prior to 1868 Sports Racing was conducted at Tararu then Parawai. The Waikato Calvary Races were conducted at Parawai on 30/3/1880. The main race of the day was the Thames Cup Handicap of 10 Sovereigns. Three times around the course! 4 starters competed. Emu won by three lengths from Sweetbriar. Eclipse and Snowstorm were pulled up.

I imagine the Calvary races were held on Easter weekend.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Years ago I bought a book at a second hand shop called (I think) Racing For Gold, a history of the Thames (Goldfields) racing club. Must get it out and re-read as I spent some of my formative years in the area.

On 1/2/2018 at 8:09 PM, hesi said:

Thames is a kikuyu grass track with no irrigation, currently a G3.

Lot of rain due Thurs morning, be interesting to see how the track handles it and whether the meeting gets canned once the rain does come

Having farmed with Kikuyu it's really not hard to control and I would have thought if the track is Kikuyu it should provide a good cushion if managed properly. In saying that Thames does have the reputation of being like concrete after a long dry spell. Light rain in Whangarei from about 5 this morning. Getting heavier now and the wind's getting up so if it's travelling south it could be curtains for Thames, sadly reducing it to just another potential housing development.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:11 AM, gubellini said:

Interesting some of the activities that went on at race meetings in past eras gub

Methven had their inaugural  meeting on 1st January 1907 with a quirky line up of events. The day's card included trots, gallops and hurdle races as well as running races for married and single men with a two pound prize for winning, for boys with 5 shillings to the winner and for girls who could win a  box of tea.....hmmmm

Hi Eclipsed. At the Waikato Cavalry Races At Thames on 30/3/80 the Races were preceded by a Rifle Shooting competition and several games of chance. One game of chance featured a canary which, for 2/6 , would pick the winner of each race by selecting a card from a pack, picking it up in its beak and presenting it to the lucky gambler. I imagine this took place in the birdcage! A cricket match was played in the centre of the track as well!

If the TAB website is saying the weather is DRIZZLING you can bet it is actually RAINING

And if the TAB website says the track is a GOOD3 you can bet it is actually a DEAD4 at best

So the ACTUAL (real world) weather/track is:

Weather: RAINING

Track: DEAD4

And the betting as to whether the meeting today is completed or not I would say is about:

YES: 2.00

NO: 1.75

with the No being the tab.co.nz market mover