RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

WINTON RACE 9 FRANCO TAI

He was certainly a lot more than 20m back, that's for sure. I'd estimate he started from at least 50m!

He was up close to his right mark, and then turned away, but I don't think the starter was aware that he "gone for a walk".

I can't believe the driver didn't protest against the start. Should have been declared a non-runner.

The standing starts were pretty poorly done all day!

Starter seemed to just let them go whenever he felt like it.

The first race was meant to be a stand and yet the unruly starter Crusher Collins was in a full out Trot when he let them go!

FRANCO TAI - just prior to the start Junior driver M Anderson turned this gelding away to re-address the barrier resulting in the gelding starting well back from its 20 metres handicap when the start was effected. Stewards questioned Mr Anderson (who declined to have the assistance of a senior driver) and starter Mr B Ward in relation to this and after taking into account the explanation from both parties issued Mr Anderson with a charge under Rule 862(2) in that he permitted his horse to start from a position other than its correct barrier position. Mr Anderson admitted the breach with the JCA imposing a fine of $400.

Seems a bit weird that Matt Anderson had the horse miles back from the 20 Street mark, but also a bit weird that the starter let them go when he wasn’t on the right mark!!

The punters that backed Franco Tai got shafted as he had no show being that far back!

Is there no onus also on the starter to have the horses on the right marks?

Seems to me that the starter was more at fault here than the driver. Truth be told, I don't think the starter had the slightest idea that Franco Tai had circled away from his barrier.

Total joke that they found Matt Anderson "$400 at fault", and the starter blameless. Both should have been told to "pick their game up", and the punters should have got their money back!

Good onthe starter for letting them go. Some of these drivers are trying to get an advantage over their rivals. I think Matt was trying to get a running start and got caught out. He had no need to circle away when he did. It was all done to try and gain an advantage.

Not the first time he's done it. Was warned last week.

1 hour ago, dkc said:

Good onthe starter for letting them go. Some of these drivers are trying to get an advantage over their rivals. I think Matt was trying to get a running start and got caught out. He had no need to circle away when he did. It was all done to try and gain an advantage.

Indeed DKC. Pleaded guilty as well.

5 hours ago, dkc said:

Under the current interpretation of what constitutes a "standing start", drivers are encouraged to get as much run up as possible. In fact, any driver that isn't pushing the rules to the limit isn't doing their job properly!

In any given race of say 12 starters, there will be 8 or 10 drivers trying to anticipate the jump. The starters have created this situation, so now it's their responsibility to manage the mess they've created!

He has to have been about 75mtrs away at the get go and after a few made fliers looked like a 100mts.......... what do you think ??

I have lodged a complaint with the TAB who are " waiting on the Stewards Report " which SPIKECITY has kindly posted.

I will let you know how and what in due course but I am pissed off having to waist my time following this up as a matter of principal.After all it must have had several Thousand invested on it and not a thing said other than he had made a good beginning. 

TAB RESPONSE

Please see below from the Steward's report on course. The driver has been fined, however they did not deem the extra distance enough to be a late scratching. 

Doesn't help me with my " HUNDIE "      ........... this is a joke.

If it was Vincent on Auckland Cup night what would happen ??

In my opinion it is totally the drivers fault. why should the horses standing up to the tape suffer because a driver on a back mark is trying to get a running start. Start fining more drivers for this it happens all to often. Backmarkers getting an advantage.

I feel for those who backed him but it is totally driver error and he was dealt with end of story.

6 hours ago, dkc said:

In my opinion it is totally the drivers fault. why should the horses standing up to the tape suffer because a driver on a back mark is trying to get a running start. Start fining more drivers for this it happens all to often. Backmarkers getting an advantage.

I feel for those who backed him but it is totally driver error and he was dealt with end of story.

So the front line and 10m horses couldn't have waited a few seconds for Franco Tai to come up to his mark, yet he was expected to wait patiently on his mark for ages while  the front and 10m horses messed around, with half them facing the wrong way?

It's the starters job to ensure that all horses start from their correct marks, and all receive a fair start. A task he failed miserably!

The stipes then had a responsibilty to protect the integrity of the race by refunding bets on Franco Tai. A task they also failed miserably!

If the race had been the Auckland Cup, and the horse left behind was Vincent, would we even be having this conversation? Obviously not!