RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Emotive

Looking To The Future

Christmas Wishlist.

1. The construction of 2 straight tracks, one north, one south.

2. The reduction of field size to six runners.

3.The reconfiguration of existing tracks, repositioning of starting boxes to reduce bend tightening.

4. Better monitoring and maintenance of track surfaces, consistency, and cambers. Independently monitored on a monthly basis.

5. The removal of "The Act of God" rule with trainer compensation payable after the abandonment of any race meeting.

6. The establishment of an insurance type fund for all injuries sustained during racing.

7. The employment of dedicated kennel inspection officers that have no ties to any track or trainers. Checks to be truly random and comprehensive.

8. An overhaul of the current RIU contract.

9. Hair testing to begin at all tracks immediately. The introduction of random saliva swabs.

10. The employment of dedicated tracking staff who work in conjunction with kennel inspectors.

26 minutes ago, Emotive said:

Christmas Wishlist.

3.The reconfiguration of existing tracks, repositioning of starting boxes to reduce bend tightening.

4. Better monitoring and maintenance of track surfaces, consistency, and cambers. Independently monitored on a monthly basis.

5. The removal of "The Act of God" rule with trainer compensation payable after the abandonment of any race meeting.

6. The establishment of an insurance type fund for all injuries sustained during racing.

7. The employment of dedicated kennel inspection officers that have no ties to any track or trainers. Checks to be truly random and comprehensive.

9. Hair testing to begin at all tracks immediately. The introduction of random saliva swabs.

10. The employment of dedicated tracking staff who work in conjunction with kennel inspectors.

And who's going to pay for your wish list?, you and all the other trainers and owners.

1 hour ago, Emotive said:

Christmas Wishlist.

just with no.2 are you going to put on more races

36 minutes ago, Emotive said:

We are all going to pay one way or another if we continue down the same path traveled.

You really have no idea do you. The racing Industry is in decline, punters are becoming a dying breed across all codes, the only growth being sports betting. Punters pay for everything, the RIU, Infrastructure, the NZGRA, NZTR, HNZ, RIB. They also pay the stake money. Your wish list needs to be practicable. I would start with downsizing, and reducing the racing population.

9 minutes ago, gary1 said:

just with no.2 are you going to put on more races

If breeding is to be reduced further, two new tracks introduce, it is workable. Reducing field size would dramatically reduce the injury tally. Just putting ideas out there for constructive discussion.

2 minutes ago, aquaman said:

You really have no idea do you. The racing Industry is in decline, punters are becoming a dying breed across all codes, the only growth being sports betting. Punters pay for everything, the RIU, Infrastructure, the NZGRA, NZTR, HNZ, RIB. They also pay the stake money. Your wish list needs to be practicable. I would start with downsizing, and reducing the racing population.

You are always such a ray of sunshine. Are you saying there is no future?

13 minutes ago, Emotive said:

If breeding is to be reduced further, two new tracks introduce, it is workable. Reducing field size would dramatically reduce the injury tally. Just putting ideas out there for constructive discussion.

reducing fields would also reduce punting and i for one spend a fair bit punting on the dogs  i dont even bet on 6 horse fields  andi have seen just as much trouble in 6 dog fields as 8  i would suggest improve the tracks and improve the education of dogs and quality

2 minutes ago, gary1 said:

reducing fields would also reduce punting and i for one spend a fair bit punting on the dogs  i dont even bet on 6 horse fields  andi have seen just as much trouble in 6 dog fields as 8  i would suggest improve the tracks and improve the education of dogs and quality

I understand Gary and thank you for giving your perspective. As I said just putting ideas forward. There are a number of trainers who would like to see 6 dog fields, their concern is safety. There are also many that would like to see the construction of straight tracks, among their reasons is the option for dogs who run bends poorly. Take Wanganui, because of the lack of land space and location, the remedies are very limited. The same applies to Manukau. We have to explore all the alternatives. Reduction of injuries must be a priority.

Just now, Emotive said:

I understand Gary and thank you for giving your perspective. As I said just putting ideas forward. There are a number of trainers who would like to see 6 dog fields, their concern is safety. There are also many that would like to see the construction of straight tracks, among their reasons is the option for dogs who run bends poorly. Take Wanganui, because of the lack of land space and location, the remedies are very limited. The same applies to Manukau. We have to explore all the alternatives. Reduction of injuries must be a priority.

not all injuries are caused by tracks one could say unfit dogs  as well

15 minutes ago, Emotive said:

You are always such a ray of sunshine. Are you saying there is no future?

There is ultimately no future for dog racing, and for that matter horse racing. Horses may last longer but will eventually die, as will the dogs, the dogs just quicker and first. What can be done is allowing it to last as long as possible. To do this you need punters, and lots of them, so all focus should be on them, and out of this comes all funding. So the 3 codes need to develop strategies working together to try and build the punting base. The first thing that needs to happen is downsizing racing in NZ, there is far to much for the punting base. All 3 codes need to amalgamate, and get rid of most venues, and concentrate on strategic locations. Build from the bottom up.

2 minutes ago, gary1 said:

not all injuries are caused by tracks one could say unfit dogs  as well

That is very true, but it would be prudent to reduce the injuries we can control. We made a commitment to change at the last inquiry but little was done to future-proof our existence.

2 minutes ago, aquaman said:

There is ultimately no future for dog racing, and for that matter horse racing. Horses may last longer but will eventually die, as will the dogs, the dogs just quicker and first. What can be done is allowing it to last as long as possible. To do this you need punters, and lots of them, so all focus should be on them, and out of this comes all funding. So the 3 codes need to develop strategies working together to try and build the punting base. The first thing that needs to happen is downsizing racing in NZ, there is far to much for the punting base. All 3 codes need to amalgamate, and get rid of most venues, and concentrate on strategic locations. Build from the bottom up.

Thank you, John. Do you believe the TAB has been driving the oversaturation or is it coming from within?

4 minutes ago, Emotive said:

That is very true, but it would be prudent to reduce the injuries we can control. We made a commitment to change at the last inquiry but little was done to future-proof our existence.

as a matter of interest how long would the straight tracks be

1 minute ago, gary1 said:

as a matter of interest how long would the straight tracks be

Above my pay scale. Research would have to be conducted, and the location/land purchase would have a bearing. The Racing Board would have to foot the bill.

Just now, Emotive said:

Above my pay scale. Research would have to be conducted, and the location/land purchase would have a bearing. The Racing Board would have to foot the bill.

i think you would find the max length would be 400 metres have you been to healsville

2 minutes ago, Emotive said:

Thank you, John. Do you believe the TAB has been driving the oversaturation or is it coming from within?

The mindset in NZ in regards to racing has always been, more is better, I don't believe it is driven by the TAB, but more from the codes. Our code is a prime example. We have grabbed every date the TAB has given us with no thought to quality, or the type of racing that we put before the punter/funder. Now we find ourselves in the situation of having endless poor quality sprint racing with huge dog numbers involved. Remember, your wish list is reliant on funding, and all focus needs to go into this area before improvements can be made.

2 hours ago, Emotive said:

Christmas Wishlist.

1) Straight track racing has just as many injuries as circle tracks.

2) Evidence suggests that 6 dog fields can have as much trouble as 8 dog fields (Just look at how rough some races are in the UK).

3 minutes ago, Emotive said:

No, I haven't, just watched a few races on the telly.

well they are 300 m  and 350 m and there is just as much interference as  normal racing heres a copy of stewards report race 1 . 7 dog field              

Steward's Report

Sanduman was a late scratching at 11.10am on the advice of the Club’s Veterinary Surgeon due to illness. A five-day stand down period was imposed.

Don's Shredder was quick to begin. Mrs. Hardwicke and Coyote were slow to begin.

Coyote and Love Laughing collided soon after the start. Coyote checked off Love Laughing at the 250m mark. Like My Bro and Compsognathus collided at the 200m mark. Like My Bro checked off Don's Shredder at the 150m mark. Don's Shredder crossed to the inside at the150m mark, checking Mrs. Hardwicke and Like My Bro. Mrs. Hardwicke and Like My Bro collided at the 50m mark.

4 minutes ago, gary1 said:

well they are 300 m  and 350 m and there is just as much interference as  normal racing heres a copy of stewards report race 1 . 7 dog field              

Steward's Report

Sanduman was a late scratching at 11.10am on the advice of the Club’s Veterinary Surgeon due to illness. A five-day stand down period was imposed.

Don's Shredder was quick to begin. Mrs. Hardwicke and Coyote were slow to begin.

Coyote and Love Laughing collided soon after the start. Coyote checked off Love Laughing at the 250m mark. Like My Bro and Compsognathus collided at the 200m mark. Like My Bro checked off Don's Shredder at the 150m mark. Don's Shredder crossed to the inside at the150m mark, checking Mrs. Hardwicke and Like My Bro. Mrs. Hardwicke and Like My Bro collided at the 50m mark.

That's where the research would come into its own.

8 hours ago, Emotive said:

Christmas Wishlist.

Brilliant....most points i agree with...and some off the others should be open for discussion..3..4..5..7..and 8 a must and in the north we need a 3 nom miss get a start ...why should c4 and other grade dogs sit on the sideline for months because they have bad form.....it might stop a few greyhounds going missing....

1 hour ago, Hound Fan said:

Brilliant....most points i agree with...and some off the others should be open for discussion..3..4..5..7..and 8 a must and in the north we need a 3 nom miss get a start ...why should c4 and other grade dogs sit on the sideline for months because they have bad form.....it might stop a few greyhounds going missing....

It was a starting point to promote constructive conversation. I agree that your criteria seem unhelpful to trainers in the north and that must be frustrating. If the GRNZ had acted after the first inquiry and implemented some of the ideas above, maybe the future at this moment would look far brighter.

12 hours ago, Emotive said:

Christmas Wishlist.

1, can be done and would suit some dogs . Injurie rate is less (fact) so yes ticks the Boxs .2, would this be good could drop injurie rate but affect turnover and would be easy for one trainer to have the whole field.3, it’s a must also change the lure .4, again a must .5, why ? Who would this help ? 6, no wont help anything. 7, the riu should have no ties to any trainer at all , they should be random but they need to know what they are looking for and act on it straight away .8 , straight forward .9, agree but to do this steps 7 and 8 need to be cleaned up . I’d say this already happens just needs cleaned up. I don’t have the answers to all the questions imports breeding etc but things need to change if we are going to move forward but this has to happen from the top down rather than the bottom up . For a start why do we charge a person looking to adopt a greyhound as a pet ? Why wouldn’t it be free ? Why have we not put x amount into tracks ? Why don’t we look at Aussie big picture instead of adopting only half the concept ? We need key leaders not sheep . We need to stop talking and take action .